diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-04-16-08.02.html b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-04-16-08.02.html new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..0ece99d4bb3831f9dffe396b30e9334585d938ba --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-04-16-08.02.html @@ -0,0 +1,264 @@ + + + + +#mahara-dev Meeting + + + + +

#mahara-dev Meeting

+ +Meeting started by rkabalin at 08:02:23 UTC +(full logs). + +

+ + + +

Meeting summary

+
    +
  1. +
      +
    1. anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner at Catalyst IT, + Wellington, NZ (anitsirk, + 08:03:26)
    2. +
    3. rkabalin - Ruslan Kabalin, Lancaster + University, UK (rkabalin, + 08:03:49)
    4. +
    5. aarow is Aaron Wells at Catalyst IT, + Wellington, NZ (aarow, + 08:04:05)
    6. +
    7. anzeljg is Gregor Anželj developer and + translator from Ljubljana, Slovenia (anzeljg, + 08:04:06)
    8. +
    +
  2. +
  3. Items from last meeting (rkabalin, 08:04:57) +
      +
    1. sonn2 will create development specification and + security investigation for replacing file browser with + elfinder (rkabalin, + 08:05:21)
    2. +
    3. ACTION: sonn2 will + create development specification and security investigation for + replacing file browser with elfinder (rkabalin, + 08:07:00)
    4. +
    +
  4. +
  5. Mahara Tech Lead (Kristina) (rkabalin, 08:08:46) +
      +
    1. Aaron Wells is the new tech lead for the Mahara + Project. (rkabalin, + 08:10:43)
    2. +
    +
  6. +
  7. Dropping support for Debian/Ubuntu packages (Aaron) (rkabalin, 08:12:32) +
      +
    1. IDEA: Drop support for + Debian and Ubuntu packages due to few users and not enough + developers to maintain the packages. (anitsirk, + 08:20:50)
    2. +
    3. If anyone wants to become the package + maintainer, please let us know. rkabalin and dobedobedoh will also + discuss it. (anitsirk, + 08:21:52)
    4. +
    5. ACTION: rkabalin and + dobedobedoh discuss if we have resources/time to maintain Mahara + Debian package and report on the next meeting (rkabalin, + 08:21:53)
    6. +
    +
  8. +
  9. Security releases for 1.5 and 1.6 (Kristina) (rkabalin, 08:23:10) +
      +
    1. Mahara 1.5.9 and 1.6.4 were published on + Monday, 15 April 2013, and we encourage everyone to upgrade their + system. (anitsirk, + 08:23:20)
    2. +
    3. more info at + https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5365 (anitsirk, + 08:24:33)
    4. +
    5. https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5365 + (anitsirk, + 08:24:51)
    6. +
    +
  10. +
  11. Release of Mahara 1.7 (Aaron, Kristina) (rkabalin, 08:25:39) +
      +
    1. Mahara 1.7 stable will be released this week. + We are working on getting the last bits and pieces together. + (anitsirk, + 08:26:14)
    2. +
    3. new features can be discovered on the bug + tracker or in the manual at + http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.7/genindex.html#N and then "New in + Mahara 1.7". (anitsirk, + 08:26:36)
    4. +
    +
  12. +
  13. Pluggable page layouts? (Aaron) (rkabalin, 08:29:27) +
      +
    1. https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5360 + (anitsirk, + 08:31:06)
    2. +
    3. IDEA: Make page layouts + another plugin type to be more flexible. This goes back to the + discussion in https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5360 + about masonry style or one that is more known to Mahara + users. (anitsirk, + 08:34:46)
    4. +
    5. ACTION: Aaron to look + into the feasibility of a common CSS "abstraction layer" for + multiple layout plugins (aarow, + 08:40:21)
    6. +
    7. clarification on the layout by rkabalin: + whaever layout plugin you are using, it should always produce + consistent elements and styles. Location, size might be different, + but say column should always be "div" with class "column", + irrespective of layout... (anitsirk, + 08:45:23)
    8. +
    +
  14. +
  15. Next meeting and chair (rkabalin, 08:46:03) +
      +
    1. The 26th Mahara Developer Meeting will be held + on the 28th of May at 8 p.m. UTC (rkabalin, + 08:52:59)
    2. +
    3. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=26th+Mahara+Developer+Meeting&iso=20130528T20 + (rkabalin, + 08:53:09)
    4. +
    5. anitsirk will chair next 26th Mahara developers + meeting (rkabalin, + 08:55:21)
    6. +
    +
  16. +
  17. Any other business (rkabalin, 08:55:39) +
      +
    1. Mahara gear available at + http://cafepress.com/mahara to show your support and / or way of + contributing to the project (anitsirk, + 08:58:42)
    2. +
    +
  18. +
+

+ + + + +Meeting ended at 09:07:18 UTC +(full logs). + +

+ + + +

Action items

+
    +
  1. sonn2 will create development specification and security investigation for replacing file browser with elfinder
  2. +
  3. rkabalin and dobedobedoh discuss if we have resources/time to maintain Mahara Debian package and report on the next meeting
  4. +
  5. Aaron to look into the feasibility of a common CSS "abstraction layer" for multiple layout plugins
  6. +
+

+ + + +

Action items, by person

+
    +
  1. dobedobedoh
      +
    1. rkabalin and dobedobedoh discuss if we have resources/time to maintain Mahara Debian package and report on the next meeting
    2. +
  2. +
  3. rkabalin
      +
    1. rkabalin and dobedobedoh discuss if we have resources/time to maintain Mahara Debian package and report on the next meeting
    2. +
  4. +
  5. UNASSIGNED
      +
    1. sonn2 will create development specification and security investigation for replacing file browser with elfinder
    2. +
    3. Aaron to look into the feasibility of a common CSS "abstraction layer" for multiple layout plugins
    4. +
    +
  6. +
+

+ + + +

People present (lines said)

+
    +
  1. rkabalin (74)
  2. +
  3. anitsirk (54)
  4. +
  5. aarow (33)
  6. +
  7. anzeljg (6)
  8. +
  9. maharameet (3)
  10. +
  11. dobedobedoh (3)
  12. +
+

+ + + +Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4. + diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-04-16-08.02.log.html b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-04-16-08.02.log.html new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..fb89c343ad3f7dad85ed34a17abff8edbba87940 --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-04-16-08.02.log.html @@ -0,0 +1,200 @@ + + + + +#mahara-dev log + + + + +
08:02:23 <rkabalin> #startmeeting
+08:02:23 <maharameet> Meeting started Tue Apr 16 08:02:23 2013 UTC.  The chair is rkabalin. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
+08:02:23 <maharameet> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
+08:02:41 <rkabalin> Hello and welcome to 25th Mahara dev meeting
+08:03:22 <rkabalin> please introduce yourself using #info tag
+08:03:26 <anitsirk> #info anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner at Catalyst IT, Wellington, NZ
+08:03:49 <rkabalin> #info rkabalin - Ruslan Kabalin, Lancaster University, UK
+08:04:05 <aarow> #info aarow is Aaron Wells at Catalyst IT, Wellington, NZ
+08:04:06 <anzeljg> #info anzeljg is Gregor Anželj developer and translator from Ljubljana, Slovenia
+08:04:57 <rkabalin> #topic Items from last meeting
+08:05:21 <rkabalin> #info sonn2 will create development specification and security investigation for replacing file browser with elfinder
+08:05:38 <anitsirk> i don't think sonn has started on that yet.
+08:05:51 <aarow> yeah, I haven't heard anything from him about it since then
+08:06:20 <rkabalin> shall we move it to the next meeting
+08:06:24 <aarow> he was staying home sick today, so I think the "sonn" in this channel is just his work computer on idle
+08:06:36 <rkabalin> I see
+08:07:00 <rkabalin> #action sonn2 will create development specification and security investigation for replacing file browser with elfinder
+08:07:15 <rkabalin> just in order not to miss it next time
+08:07:59 <rkabalin> the second item is about aquaman helping sonn2
+08:08:03 <rkabalin> which is the same
+08:08:09 <anitsirk> yep
+08:08:30 <rkabalin> ok, next topic
+08:08:46 <rkabalin> #topic Mahara Tech Lead (Kristina)
+08:08:50 <anitsirk> Aaron Wells is the new tech lead for the Mahara Project. He's been a developer in the Catalyst eLearning team for some time now working primarily on Moodle in the past. He received his approval for code reviewer  on 12 March outside of a developer meeting so he could take up his responsibilities and also support getting the release candidate of Mahara 1.7 out.
+08:08:51 <anitsirk> Aaron is already active in the community supporting users with answers to their technical questions and just got the latest security release out.
+08:08:52 <anitsirk> If you have any questions, fire away. ;-)
+08:09:05 <anitsirk> you know him here as aarow
+08:09:06 <aarow> oh, yep, that's me :)
+08:09:45 <anzeljg> is aarow replacing elky then?
+08:10:00 <anitsirk> elky wasn't the tech lead
+08:10:13 <anzeljg> oh i see...
+08:10:16 <rkabalin> nice to hear that we have a new tech lead for the Mahara Project, congratulations to Aaron
+08:10:33 <aarow> yeah, actually Hugh (aquaman) was the Mahara technical lead before me
+08:10:43 <rkabalin> #info Aaron Wells is the new tech lead for the Mahara Project.
+08:11:06 <anzeljg> aarow congrats!
+08:11:13 <aarow> thanks :)
+08:11:17 <rkabalin> Is Hugh still working for Catalyst?
+08:11:38 <anitsirk> rkabalin: no. he works for a security company now. that's what his master's thesis was on.
+08:11:39 <aarow> no, he moved to a security company here in Wellington in January
+08:11:49 <rkabalin> I see
+08:12:03 <anitsirk> but he's still active supporting the project in esp. security-related questions.
+08:12:10 <rkabalin> ok, moving further unless anyone has questions to Aaron
+08:12:32 <rkabalin> #topic Dropping support for Debian/Ubuntu packages (Aaron)
+08:13:15 <rkabalin> Aaron, the chair is yours
+08:13:21 <aarow> Yes, since Francois left Catalyst we've had increasing difficulty maintaining the Debian & Ubuntu packages
+08:13:44 <aarow> since he was our main resource who was familiar with the Debian & Ubuntu packaging system, and he's a Debian Developer
+08:14:35 <aarow> since we seem to have relatively few installs of the packages, and since we don't currently have the resources to maintain them, it seems like the best use of our resources is to drop support for them
+08:15:27 <anitsirk> there wasn't anyone in the forum answering your post, was there, aarow?
+08:15:27 <rkabalin> Me and dobedobedoh are still in the packaging team and have experience maintaining the packages
+08:15:28 <aarow> but I wanted to check with the community to see if anyone had any thoughts or preferences on the matter
+08:15:45 <aarow> oh, would one of you want to maintain the packages then?
+08:15:45 <rkabalin> though, it might be difficult time-wise
+08:16:28 <rkabalin> let me think, we might be able to do that
+08:16:38 <aarow> It's also worth noting, Debian dropped us from wheezy, because we had fallen behind on patching reported bugs, and because of the low number of installs
+08:17:06 <anitsirk> what are the advantages os being in Debian, aarow?
+08:17:28 <aarow> well, it is an easy way for people to discover and install Mahara
+08:17:44 <rkabalin> yep
+08:17:56 <rkabalin> and make easy updating
+08:18:47 <aarow> and we don't have any hard numbers on how many people are using the packages
+08:19:00 <aarow> just the numbers from the "popularity contest" package, which is optional
+08:19:23 <aarow> there are around 35 Debian users in popcon, and around 30 active Ubuntu users in popcon
+08:20:01 <rkabalin> so, you suggest to drop support then aarow
+08:20:33 <aarow> yes, unless we can find someone in the community who wants to do it
+08:20:39 <rkabalin> shall we decide that on the next meeting, I will dicuss it with Andrew and we will see if we have resources/time to maintain it
+08:20:47 <aarow> sure
+08:20:50 <anitsirk> #idea Drop support for Debian and Ubuntu packages due to few users and not enough developers to maintain the packages.
+08:21:01 <anitsirk> that sounds great, rkabalin
+08:21:15 <aarow> yes, thanks :)
+08:21:52 <anitsirk> #info If anyone wants to become the package maintainer, please let us know. rkabalin and dobedobedoh will also discuss it.
+08:21:53 <rkabalin> #action rkabalin and dobedobedoh discuss if we have resources/time to maintain Mahara Debian package and report on the next meeting
+08:22:17 <rkabalin> anitsirk, yep, sure, anyone welcome
+08:22:54 <rkabalin> next topic?
+08:23:00 <anitsirk> sure
+08:23:10 <rkabalin> #topic Security releases for 1.5 and 1.6 (Kristina)
+08:23:20 <anitsirk> Just a quick note about the latest security release.
+08:23:20 <anitsirk> #info Mahara 1.5.9 and 1.6.4 were published on Monday, 15 April 2013, and we encourage everyone to upgrade their system.
+08:23:31 <anitsirk> that's all i wanted to say.
+08:24:11 <anzeljg> BRB
+08:24:33 <anitsirk> #info more info at https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5365
+08:24:47 * rkabalin written down that we need to upgrade our mahara
+08:24:51 <anitsirk> #link https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5365
+08:25:09 <anitsirk> rkabalin: :-)
+08:25:14 <rkabalin> thanks anitsirk
+08:25:39 <rkabalin> #topic Release of Mahara 1.7 (Aaron, Kristina)
+08:25:49 <anitsirk> Also just a quick note.
+08:26:14 <anitsirk> #info Mahara 1.7 stable will be released this week. We are working on getting the last bits and pieces together.
+08:26:36 <anitsirk> #info new features can be discovered on the bug tracker or in the manual at http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.7/genindex.html#N and then "New in Mahara 1.7".
+08:27:18 <anitsirk> do you want to add anything, aarow?
+08:27:38 * rkabalin written down that we need to upgrade our mahara to 1.7 at some point
+08:27:57 <aarow> nope, that about covers it :)
+08:28:09 <rkabalin> thanks everyone who is working on that at the moment
+08:28:52 <rkabalin> shall we go to the next topic?
+08:29:21 <anitsirk> sure.
+08:29:27 <rkabalin> #topic Pluggable page layouts? (Aaron)
+08:30:06 <aarow> Well, we've been considering a couple of alternatives to improve the current Page layouts
+08:30:23 <aarow> Kristina posted some forum threads asking for people's preferences about two of them
+08:30:40 <aarow> one idea I was brainstorming during this was, would it make sense to turn Page layouts into another plugin type?
+08:31:00 <aarow> So I was wondering whether folks had any thoughts about that. :)
+08:31:06 <anitsirk> #link https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5360
+08:31:28 <rkabalin> might worth doing that (another plugin type), I like the idea
+08:32:24 <aarow> I guess it may be challenging for the theme designers
+08:32:30 <rkabalin> making layout design more flexible
+08:32:56 <anitsirk> aarow: yes, it will be because they are so different.
+08:33:08 <rkabalin> may layout be a part of the theme?
+08:33:54 <anitsirk> rkabalin: could that mean that you have two versions of the same theme then?
+08:34:32 <aarow> well, Page layout is a bit too behaviorally complex to make sense as part of the theme, I think
+08:34:40 <rkabalin> no, I meant that someone who develop the theme, potentially can develop a matching layout
+08:34:46 <anitsirk> #idea Make page layouts another plugin type to be more flexible. This goes back to the discussion in https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5360 about masonry style or one that is more known to Mahara users.
+08:34:48 <aarow> the challenge for theme designers, would be making sure that their CSS is able to deal with multiple types of Page layouts
+08:35:37 <rkabalin> then all layouts should attemt to use the same set of CSS definitions
+08:36:24 <rkabalin> and ideally have some absraction output layer that is the same to all of them
+08:36:49 <anitsirk> the difference between the two styles is that masonry is more flexible and works well on any type of device because it is fully responsive, but it doesn't give you absolute control over where to place items. whereas our current layout plus mike kelly's enhancements would allow you easier positioning of blocks next to each other (with the caveat: when viewed on a computer screen). when you go smaller and have device detection on, the blocks will move.
+08:37:12 <aarow> that's the difference between the two specific layouts Kristina was talking about in that forum thread
+08:39:01 <aarow> rkabalin: I'll run your idea about the abstraction, by our theme designers
+08:39:31 <rkabalin> thanks aarow
+08:40:21 <aarow> #action Aaron to look into the feasibility of a common CSS "abstraction layer" for multiple layout plugins
+08:44:13 <rkabalin> what I mean is whaever layout plugin you are using, it should always produce consistent elements and styles. Location, size might be different, but say column should always be "div" with class "column", irrespective of layout...
+08:45:15 <rkabalin> ok, next topic?
+08:45:23 <anitsirk> #info clarification on the layout by rkabalin: whaever layout plugin you are using, it should always produce consistent elements and styles. Location, size might be different, but say column should always be "div" with class "column", irrespective of layout...
+08:45:38 <anitsirk> yes, go for it, rkabalin
+08:45:39 <aarow> sure, next topic :)
+08:46:03 <rkabalin> #topic Next meeting and chair
+08:46:32 <rkabalin> in May or June?
+08:47:12 <rkabalin> any suggestions?
+08:47:19 <anitsirk> I guess in about 6 weeks?
+08:47:46 <anitsirk> there hasn't been much to discuss in the last meetings, so 4 weeks is probably too soon.
+08:47:47 <rkabalin> that could be 28th of May
+08:48:18 <anitsirk> would work for me.
+08:48:27 <aarow> me too
+08:49:37 <anitsirk> i can chair it if there are no other volunteers
+08:49:57 <rkabalin> #info The 2th Mahara Developer Meeting will be held on the 28th of May at 8 p.m. UK time
+08:50:08 <anitsirk> rkabalin: uk or UTC?
+08:50:44 <anzeljg> rkabalin: edit latest info line
+08:50:45 <rkabalin> I always struggle with this timeadndate site
+08:50:57 <rkabalin> #undo
+08:50:57 <maharameet> Removing item from minutes: <MeetBot.items.Info object at 0x129c610>
+08:51:43 <anitsirk> did you mean http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=26th+Mahara+Developer+Meeting&iso=20130528T20 ?
+08:51:47 <dobedobedoh> Only our second dev meeting?
+08:51:53 <anitsirk> nah, 26th ;-)
+08:52:59 <rkabalin> #info The 26th Mahara Developer Meeting will be held on the 28th of May at 8 p.m. UTC
+08:53:09 <rkabalin> #link http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=26th+Mahara+Developer+Meeting&iso=20130528T20
+08:53:14 <rkabalin> thanks anitsirk
+08:53:18 <anitsirk> np
+08:53:56 <rkabalin> anitsirk, do you want to chair?
+08:54:07 <anitsirk> sure, if there are no other takers.
+08:54:47 <rkabalin> ok
+08:55:21 <rkabalin> #info anitsirk will chair next 26th Mahara developers meeting
+08:55:39 <rkabalin> #topic Any other business
+08:56:11 <anitsirk> I have one
+08:56:41 <rkabalin> go ahead
+08:56:54 <anitsirk> Did you see the new character scenes Evonne made at http://cafepress.com/mahara ?
+08:57:32 <rkabalin> looks cool
+08:57:34 <rkabalin> :D
+08:58:01 <anitsirk> maybe some people will wear some of the gear at MaharaUK...
+08:58:26 <rkabalin> good idea
+08:58:42 <anitsirk> #info Mahara gear available at http://cafepress.com/mahara to show your support and / or way of contributing to the project
+08:59:02 <anitsirk> that's all from me.
+08:59:57 <rkabalin> Though £18 for the t-shirt :), are they are NorthFace or Jack Wolfskin?
+09:00:10 <rkabalin> with Mahara print on it :)
+09:00:40 <anitsirk> rkabalin: that's the cafepress price I'm afraid.
+09:00:58 <rkabalin> I see
+09:02:08 <rkabalin> Just of curiosity, what percentage Mahara project gets from each sale?
+09:02:26 <rkabalin> just to know if I would really support Mahara that way
+09:02:49 <anitsirk> rkabalin: $1 per tshirt i think. we kept the markup low because of the base price.
+09:03:05 <dobedobedoh> Aww - Mahara has no babygrow products (Moodle does - http://www.cafepress.com/moodle.27158269)
+09:03:45 <anitsirk> if you know of another site that has better prices, ships worldwide etc., let us know.
+09:04:20 <anitsirk> dobedobedoh: we do, too.
+09:05:13 <anitsirk> dobedobedoh: go to http://www.cafepress.com/mahara/9953038 there are three different sizes :-)
+09:05:20 <anitsirk> do you want to tell us something ;-)
+09:05:28 <dobedobedoh> heh no
+09:05:31 <rkabalin> thanks anitsirk anyway, i think I will buy something
+09:05:51 <rkabalin> anyone has anything else to discuss?
+09:07:18 <rkabalin> #endmeeting
+ diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-04-16-08.02.log.txt b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-04-16-08.02.log.txt new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..34009517cd980b0280374179d739962d78ec9af8 --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-04-16-08.02.log.txt @@ -0,0 +1,173 @@ +08:02:23 #startmeeting +08:02:23 Meeting started Tue Apr 16 08:02:23 2013 UTC. The chair is rkabalin. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. +08:02:23 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic. +08:02:41 Hello and welcome to 25th Mahara dev meeting +08:03:22 please introduce yourself using #info tag +08:03:26 #info anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner at Catalyst IT, Wellington, NZ +08:03:49 #info rkabalin - Ruslan Kabalin, Lancaster University, UK +08:04:05 #info aarow is Aaron Wells at Catalyst IT, Wellington, NZ +08:04:06 #info anzeljg is Gregor Anželj developer and translator from Ljubljana, Slovenia +08:04:57 #topic Items from last meeting +08:05:21 #info sonn2 will create development specification and security investigation for replacing file browser with elfinder +08:05:38 i don't think sonn has started on that yet. +08:05:51 yeah, I haven't heard anything from him about it since then +08:06:20 shall we move it to the next meeting +08:06:24 he was staying home sick today, so I think the "sonn" in this channel is just his work computer on idle +08:06:36 I see +08:07:00 #action sonn2 will create development specification and security investigation for replacing file browser with elfinder +08:07:15 just in order not to miss it next time +08:07:59 the second item is about aquaman helping sonn2 +08:08:03 which is the same +08:08:09 yep +08:08:30 ok, next topic +08:08:46 #topic Mahara Tech Lead (Kristina) +08:08:50 Aaron Wells is the new tech lead for the Mahara Project. He's been a developer in the Catalyst eLearning team for some time now working primarily on Moodle in the past. He received his approval for code reviewer on 12 March outside of a developer meeting so he could take up his responsibilities and also support getting the release candidate of Mahara 1.7 out. +08:08:51 Aaron is already active in the community supporting users with answers to their technical questions and just got the latest security release out. +08:08:52 If you have any questions, fire away. ;-) +08:09:05 you know him here as aarow +08:09:06 oh, yep, that's me :) +08:09:45 is aarow replacing elky then? +08:10:00 elky wasn't the tech lead +08:10:13 oh i see... +08:10:16 nice to hear that we have a new tech lead for the Mahara Project, congratulations to Aaron +08:10:33 yeah, actually Hugh (aquaman) was the Mahara technical lead before me +08:10:43 #info Aaron Wells is the new tech lead for the Mahara Project. +08:11:06 aarow congrats! +08:11:13 thanks :) +08:11:17 Is Hugh still working for Catalyst? +08:11:38 rkabalin: no. he works for a security company now. that's what his master's thesis was on. +08:11:39 no, he moved to a security company here in Wellington in January +08:11:49 I see +08:12:03 but he's still active supporting the project in esp. security-related questions. +08:12:10 ok, moving further unless anyone has questions to Aaron +08:12:32 #topic Dropping support for Debian/Ubuntu packages (Aaron) +08:13:15 Aaron, the chair is yours +08:13:21 Yes, since Francois left Catalyst we've had increasing difficulty maintaining the Debian & Ubuntu packages +08:13:44 since he was our main resource who was familiar with the Debian & Ubuntu packaging system, and he's a Debian Developer +08:14:35 since we seem to have relatively few installs of the packages, and since we don't currently have the resources to maintain them, it seems like the best use of our resources is to drop support for them +08:15:27 there wasn't anyone in the forum answering your post, was there, aarow? +08:15:27 Me and dobedobedoh are still in the packaging team and have experience maintaining the packages +08:15:28 but I wanted to check with the community to see if anyone had any thoughts or preferences on the matter +08:15:45 oh, would one of you want to maintain the packages then? +08:15:45 though, it might be difficult time-wise +08:16:28 let me think, we might be able to do that +08:16:38 It's also worth noting, Debian dropped us from wheezy, because we had fallen behind on patching reported bugs, and because of the low number of installs +08:17:06 what are the advantages os being in Debian, aarow? +08:17:28 well, it is an easy way for people to discover and install Mahara +08:17:44 yep +08:17:56 and make easy updating +08:18:47 and we don't have any hard numbers on how many people are using the packages +08:19:00 just the numbers from the "popularity contest" package, which is optional +08:19:23 there are around 35 Debian users in popcon, and around 30 active Ubuntu users in popcon +08:20:01 so, you suggest to drop support then aarow +08:20:33 yes, unless we can find someone in the community who wants to do it +08:20:39 shall we decide that on the next meeting, I will dicuss it with Andrew and we will see if we have resources/time to maintain it +08:20:47 sure +08:20:50 #idea Drop support for Debian and Ubuntu packages due to few users and not enough developers to maintain the packages. +08:21:01 that sounds great, rkabalin +08:21:15 yes, thanks :) +08:21:52 #info If anyone wants to become the package maintainer, please let us know. rkabalin and dobedobedoh will also discuss it. +08:21:53 #action rkabalin and dobedobedoh discuss if we have resources/time to maintain Mahara Debian package and report on the next meeting +08:22:17 anitsirk, yep, sure, anyone welcome +08:22:54 next topic? +08:23:00 sure +08:23:10 #topic Security releases for 1.5 and 1.6 (Kristina) +08:23:20 Just a quick note about the latest security release. +08:23:20 #info Mahara 1.5.9 and 1.6.4 were published on Monday, 15 April 2013, and we encourage everyone to upgrade their system. +08:23:31 that's all i wanted to say. +08:24:11 BRB +08:24:33 #info more info at https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5365 +08:24:47 * rkabalin written down that we need to upgrade our mahara +08:24:51 #link https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5365 +08:25:09 rkabalin: :-) +08:25:14 thanks anitsirk +08:25:39 #topic Release of Mahara 1.7 (Aaron, Kristina) +08:25:49 Also just a quick note. +08:26:14 #info Mahara 1.7 stable will be released this week. We are working on getting the last bits and pieces together. +08:26:36 #info new features can be discovered on the bug tracker or in the manual at http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.7/genindex.html#N and then "New in Mahara 1.7". +08:27:18 do you want to add anything, aarow? +08:27:38 * rkabalin written down that we need to upgrade our mahara to 1.7 at some point +08:27:57 nope, that about covers it :) +08:28:09 thanks everyone who is working on that at the moment +08:28:52 shall we go to the next topic? +08:29:21 sure. +08:29:27 #topic Pluggable page layouts? (Aaron) +08:30:06 Well, we've been considering a couple of alternatives to improve the current Page layouts +08:30:23 Kristina posted some forum threads asking for people's preferences about two of them +08:30:40 one idea I was brainstorming during this was, would it make sense to turn Page layouts into another plugin type? +08:31:00 So I was wondering whether folks had any thoughts about that. :) +08:31:06 #link https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5360 +08:31:28 might worth doing that (another plugin type), I like the idea +08:32:24 I guess it may be challenging for the theme designers +08:32:30 making layout design more flexible +08:32:56 aarow: yes, it will be because they are so different. +08:33:08 may layout be a part of the theme? +08:33:54 rkabalin: could that mean that you have two versions of the same theme then? +08:34:32 well, Page layout is a bit too behaviorally complex to make sense as part of the theme, I think +08:34:40 no, I meant that someone who develop the theme, potentially can develop a matching layout +08:34:46 #idea Make page layouts another plugin type to be more flexible. This goes back to the discussion in https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5360 about masonry style or one that is more known to Mahara users. +08:34:48 the challenge for theme designers, would be making sure that their CSS is able to deal with multiple types of Page layouts +08:35:37 then all layouts should attemt to use the same set of CSS definitions +08:36:24 and ideally have some absraction output layer that is the same to all of them +08:36:49 the difference between the two styles is that masonry is more flexible and works well on any type of device because it is fully responsive, but it doesn't give you absolute control over where to place items. whereas our current layout plus mike kelly's enhancements would allow you easier positioning of blocks next to each other (with the caveat: when viewed on a computer screen). when you go smaller and have device detection on, the blocks will move. +08:37:12 that's the difference between the two specific layouts Kristina was talking about in that forum thread +08:39:01 rkabalin: I'll run your idea about the abstraction, by our theme designers +08:39:31 thanks aarow +08:40:21 #action Aaron to look into the feasibility of a common CSS "abstraction layer" for multiple layout plugins +08:44:13 what I mean is whaever layout plugin you are using, it should always produce consistent elements and styles. Location, size might be different, but say column should always be "div" with class "column", irrespective of layout... +08:45:15 ok, next topic? +08:45:23 #info clarification on the layout by rkabalin: whaever layout plugin you are using, it should always produce consistent elements and styles. Location, size might be different, but say column should always be "div" with class "column", irrespective of layout... +08:45:38 yes, go for it, rkabalin +08:45:39 sure, next topic :) +08:46:03 #topic Next meeting and chair +08:46:32 in May or June? +08:47:12 any suggestions? +08:47:19 I guess in about 6 weeks? +08:47:46 there hasn't been much to discuss in the last meetings, so 4 weeks is probably too soon. +08:47:47 that could be 28th of May +08:48:18 would work for me. +08:48:27 me too +08:49:37 i can chair it if there are no other volunteers +08:49:57 #info The 2th Mahara Developer Meeting will be held on the 28th of May at 8 p.m. UK time +08:50:08 rkabalin: uk or UTC? +08:50:44 rkabalin: edit latest info line +08:50:45 I always struggle with this timeadndate site +08:50:57 #undo +08:50:57 Removing item from minutes: +08:51:43 did you mean http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=26th+Mahara+Developer+Meeting&iso=20130528T20 ? +08:51:47 Only our second dev meeting? +08:51:53 nah, 26th ;-) +08:52:59 #info The 26th Mahara Developer Meeting will be held on the 28th of May at 8 p.m. UTC +08:53:09 #link http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=26th+Mahara+Developer+Meeting&iso=20130528T20 +08:53:14 thanks anitsirk +08:53:18 np +08:53:56 anitsirk, do you want to chair? +08:54:07 sure, if there are no other takers. +08:54:47 ok +08:55:21 #info anitsirk will chair next 26th Mahara developers meeting +08:55:39 #topic Any other business +08:56:11 I have one +08:56:41 go ahead +08:56:54 Did you see the new character scenes Evonne made at http://cafepress.com/mahara ? +08:57:32 looks cool +08:57:34 :D +08:58:01 maybe some people will wear some of the gear at MaharaUK... +08:58:26 good idea +08:58:42 #info Mahara gear available at http://cafepress.com/mahara to show your support and / or way of contributing to the project +08:59:02 that's all from me. +08:59:57 Though £18 for the t-shirt :), are they are NorthFace or Jack Wolfskin? +09:00:10 with Mahara print on it :) +09:00:40 rkabalin: that's the cafepress price I'm afraid. +09:00:58 I see +09:02:08 Just of curiosity, what percentage Mahara project gets from each sale? +09:02:26 just to know if I would really support Mahara that way +09:02:49 rkabalin: $1 per tshirt i think. we kept the markup low because of the base price. +09:03:05 Aww - Mahara has no babygrow products (Moodle does - http://www.cafepress.com/moodle.27158269) +09:03:45 if you know of another site that has better prices, ships worldwide etc., let us know. +09:04:20 dobedobedoh: we do, too. +09:05:13 dobedobedoh: go to http://www.cafepress.com/mahara/9953038 there are three different sizes :-) +09:05:20 do you want to tell us something ;-) +09:05:28 heh no +09:05:31 thanks anitsirk anyway, i think I will buy something +09:05:51 anyone has anything else to discuss? +09:07:18 #endmeeting \ No newline at end of file diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-04-16-08.02.txt b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-04-16-08.02.txt new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..9b6705226be237d65f0e055bb7ae1089d026af43 --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-04-16-08.02.txt @@ -0,0 +1,139 @@ +=================== +#mahara-dev Meeting +=================== + + +Meeting started by rkabalin at 08:02:23 UTC. The full logs are available +at +http://meetbot.mahara.org/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-04-16-08.02.log.html +. + + + +Meeting summary +--------------- +* anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner at Catalyst IT, Wellington, NZ + (anitsirk, 08:03:26) +* rkabalin - Ruslan Kabalin, Lancaster University, UK (rkabalin, + 08:03:49) +* aarow is Aaron Wells at Catalyst IT, Wellington, NZ (aarow, 08:04:05) +* anzeljg is Gregor Anželj developer and translator from Ljubljana, + Slovenia (anzeljg, 08:04:06) +* Items from last meeting (rkabalin, 08:04:57) + * sonn2 will create development specification and security + investigation for replacing file browser with elfinder (rkabalin, + 08:05:21) + * ACTION: sonn2 will create development specification and security + investigation for replacing file browser with elfinder (rkabalin, + 08:07:00) + +* Mahara Tech Lead (Kristina) (rkabalin, 08:08:46) + * Aaron Wells is the new tech lead for the Mahara Project. (rkabalin, + 08:10:43) + +* Dropping support for Debian/Ubuntu packages (Aaron) (rkabalin, + 08:12:32) + * IDEA: Drop support for Debian and Ubuntu packages due to few users + and not enough developers to maintain the packages. (anitsirk, + 08:20:50) + * If anyone wants to become the package maintainer, please let us + know. rkabalin and dobedobedoh will also discuss it. (anitsirk, + 08:21:52) + * ACTION: rkabalin and dobedobedoh discuss if we have resources/time + to maintain Mahara Debian package and report on the next meeting + (rkabalin, 08:21:53) + +* Security releases for 1.5 and 1.6 (Kristina) (rkabalin, 08:23:10) + * Mahara 1.5.9 and 1.6.4 were published on Monday, 15 April 2013, and + we encourage everyone to upgrade their system. (anitsirk, 08:23:20) + * more info at https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5365 + (anitsirk, 08:24:33) + * LINK: https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5365 + (anitsirk, 08:24:51) + +* Release of Mahara 1.7 (Aaron, Kristina) (rkabalin, 08:25:39) + * Mahara 1.7 stable will be released this week. We are working on + getting the last bits and pieces together. (anitsirk, 08:26:14) + * new features can be discovered on the bug tracker or in the manual + at http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.7/genindex.html#N and then "New in + Mahara 1.7". (anitsirk, 08:26:36) + +* Pluggable page layouts? (Aaron) (rkabalin, 08:29:27) + * LINK: https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5360 + (anitsirk, 08:31:06) + * IDEA: Make page layouts another plugin type to be more flexible. + This goes back to the discussion in + https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5360 about masonry + style or one that is more known to Mahara users. (anitsirk, + 08:34:46) + * ACTION: Aaron to look into the feasibility of a common CSS + "abstraction layer" for multiple layout plugins (aarow, 08:40:21) + * clarification on the layout by rkabalin: whaever layout plugin you + are using, it should always produce consistent elements and styles. + Location, size might be different, but say column should always be + "div" with class "column", irrespective of layout... (anitsirk, + 08:45:23) + +* Next meeting and chair (rkabalin, 08:46:03) + * The 26th Mahara Developer Meeting will be held on the 28th of May at + 8 p.m. UTC (rkabalin, 08:52:59) + * LINK: + http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=26th+Mahara+Developer+Meeting&iso=20130528T20 + (rkabalin, 08:53:09) + * anitsirk will chair next 26th Mahara developers meeting (rkabalin, + 08:55:21) + +* Any other business (rkabalin, 08:55:39) + * Mahara gear available at http://cafepress.com/mahara to show your + support and / or way of contributing to the project (anitsirk, + 08:58:42) + +Meeting ended at 09:07:18 UTC. + + + + +Action Items +------------ +* sonn2 will create development specification and security investigation + for replacing file browser with elfinder +* rkabalin and dobedobedoh discuss if we have resources/time to maintain + Mahara Debian package and report on the next meeting +* Aaron to look into the feasibility of a common CSS "abstraction layer" + for multiple layout plugins + + + + +Action Items, by person +----------------------- +* dobedobedoh + * rkabalin and dobedobedoh discuss if we have resources/time to + maintain Mahara Debian package and report on the next meeting +* rkabalin + * rkabalin and dobedobedoh discuss if we have resources/time to + maintain Mahara Debian package and report on the next meeting +* **UNASSIGNED** + * sonn2 will create development specification and security + investigation for replacing file browser with elfinder + * Aaron to look into the feasibility of a common CSS "abstraction + layer" for multiple layout plugins + + + + +People Present (lines said) +--------------------------- +* rkabalin (74) +* anitsirk (54) +* aarow (33) +* anzeljg (6) +* maharameet (3) +* dobedobedoh (3) + + + + +Generated by `MeetBot`_ 0.1.4 + +.. _`MeetBot`: http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot