diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2011/mahara-dev.2011-10-05-07.31.html b/public_html/mahara-dev/2011/mahara-dev.2011-10-05-07.31.html new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..93f62bd5f10a5159bd3c02a0bd64992372ed628d --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2011/mahara-dev.2011-10-05-07.31.html @@ -0,0 +1,267 @@ + + + + +#mahara-dev Meeting + + + + +

#mahara-dev Meeting

+ +Meeting started by dobedobedoh at 07:31:45 UTC +(full logs). + +

+ + + +

Meeting summary

+
    +
  1. Meeting attendees (dobedobedoh, 07:31:47) +
      +
    1. dobedobedoh is Andrew Nicols - LUNS Ltd, + UK (dobedobedoh, + 07:31:51)
    2. +
    3. anzeljg is Gregor An�elj (anzeljg, + 07:32:03)
    4. +
    5. anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner, Catalyst IT, + NZ (anitsirk, + 07:32:09)
    6. +
    7. richardm is Richard Mansfield (richardm, + 07:32:11)
    8. +
    9. elky is Melissa Draper - Catalyst IT, NZ + (elky, + 07:32:26)
    10. +
    11. pxh is Piers Harding, Catalyst (pxh, + 07:32:30)
    12. +
    +
  2. +
  3. Items from previous meeting (dobedobedoh, 07:33:04) +
      +
    1. dan_p LUNS to investigate adding a new mahara + integration project to run selenium tests (dobedobedoh, + 07:33:07)
    2. +
    3. ACTION: dan_p LUNS to + investigate adding a new mahara integration project to run selenium + tests (dobedobedoh, + 07:33:28)
    4. +
    5. fmarier is Francois Marier (fmarier, + 07:33:59)
    6. +
    +
  4. +
  5. Where should we put unit tests? [fmarier and dobedobedoh] (dobedobedoh, 07:35:19) +
      +
    1. ACTION: dobedobedoh + to look at modifying the release script, and test running + script (dobedobedoh, + 07:42:33)
    2. +
    +
  6. +
  7. Web Services - an update, and request for API ideas [pxh] (dobedobedoh, 07:52:36) +
      +
    1. Web Services now has OAuth support including + OOB (dobedobedoh, + 07:53:37)
    2. +
    3. https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Plugins/Artefact/WebServices + (dobedobedoh, + 07:53:43)
    4. +
    5. Personal user tokens are supported and users + can manage their own tokens for specific API calls (dobedobedoh, + 07:54:10)
    6. +
    7. This should open things up more for scripting + opportunities (dobedobedoh, + 07:54:57)
    8. +
    9. Existing APIs mostly centred around + myPortfolio (dobedobedoh, + 07:56:48)
    10. +
    +
  8. +
  9. Wiki - Adding extensions to make adding/editing pages easier [zzmonty] (dobedobedoh, 08:09:02) +
  10. +
  11. Wiki - Request to allow additional extensions (.zip) to make it easier for user contributed content [zzmonty] (dobedobedoh, 08:10:29) +
      +
    1. dobedobedoh to add zzmonty's items to the + agenda for the next meeting (dobedobedoh, + 08:11:03)
    2. +
    +
  12. +
  13. Next meeting time/date and Chair (dobedobedoh, 08:13:30) +
      +
    1. IDEA: Tuesday 1st + November @ 19:30 UTC (19:30 GMT/08:30 NZST) (dobedobedoh, + 08:14:35)
    2. +
    3. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20111108T1930 + (fmarier, + 08:17:16)
    4. +
    5. IDEA: Tuesday 8th + November @ 19:30 UTC (19:30 GMT/08:30 9th NZST) ? (dobedobedoh, + 08:19:06)
    6. +
    7. AGREED: (dobedobedoh, + 08:20:35)
    8. +
    9. Next developer meeting to be held on Tuesday + 8th November @ 19:30 UTC - + http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20111108T1930 + (dobedobedoh, + 08:21:48)
    10. +
    11. Next meeting to be chaired by richardm + (dobedobedoh, + 08:24:26)
    12. +
    +
  14. +
  15. Any other business (dobedobedoh, 08:24:58) +
      +
    1. anzeljg wants to let everybody know that his + development Mahara install at http://mahara.ledina.org/DEV/ no + longer exists (anzeljg, + 08:25:58)
    2. +
    3. fmarier hasn't heard back from the author of + pChart about licensing conflicts (dobedobedoh, + 08:41:14)
    4. +
    5. anzeljg implementing eZ Components + instead (dobedobedoh, + 08:41:35)
    6. +
    7. No update on skins support... ongoing + (dobedobedoh, + 08:45:40)
    8. +
    9. https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/721496 + (fmarier, + 08:48:05)
    10. +
    11. http://ezcomponents.org/docs/tutorials/Document + (anzeljg, + 08:50:03)
    12. +
    13. HELP: (dobedobedoh, + 08:55:32)
    14. +
    +
  16. +
+

+ + + + +Meeting ended at 09:01:20 UTC +(full logs). + +

+ + + +

Action items

+
    +
  1. dan_p LUNS to investigate adding a new mahara integration project to run selenium tests
  2. +
  3. dobedobedoh to look at modifying the release script, and test running script
  4. +
+

+ + + +

Action items, by person

+
    +
  1. dobedobedoh
      +
    1. dobedobedoh to look at modifying the release script, and test running script
    2. +
  2. +
+

+ + + +

People present (lines said)

+
    +
  1. dobedobedoh (136)
  2. +
  3. fmarier (75)
  4. +
  5. elky (27)
  6. +
  7. pxh (25)
  8. +
  9. anzeljg (23)
  10. +
  11. anitsirk (17)
  12. +
  13. richardm (13)
  14. +
  15. iarenaza (7)
  16. +
  17. lamiette (5)
  18. +
  19. maharameet (3)
  20. +
  21. maharabot` (1)
  22. +
+

+ + + +Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4. + diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2011/mahara-dev.2011-10-05-07.31.log.html b/public_html/mahara-dev/2011/mahara-dev.2011-10-05-07.31.log.html new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..df96592a6aa73e1c4932c9f22f60aa3d347194a3 --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2011/mahara-dev.2011-10-05-07.31.log.html @@ -0,0 +1,359 @@ + + + + +#mahara-dev log + + + + +
07:31:45 <dobedobedoh> #startmeeting
+07:31:45 <maharameet> Meeting started Wed Oct  5 07:31:45 2011 UTC.  The chair is dobedobedoh. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
+07:31:45 <maharameet> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
+07:31:47 <dobedobedoh> #topic Meeting attendees
+07:31:49 <dobedobedoh> Please put #info in front of your name
+07:31:51 <dobedobedoh> #info dobedobedoh is Andrew Nicols - LUNS Ltd, UK
+07:32:03 <anzeljg> #info anzeljg is Gregor An�elj
+07:32:09 <anitsirk> #info anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner, Catalyst IT, NZ
+07:32:11 <richardm> #info richardm is Richard Mansfield
+07:32:26 <elky> #info elky is Melissa Draper - Catalyst IT, NZ
+07:32:30 <pxh> #info pxh is Piers Harding, Catalyst
+07:32:55 <dobedobedoh> I think that's everyone at the moment
+07:32:56 <dobedobedoh> Reminder: Please put ".." on a line by itself at the end of a long multi-line speech
+07:32:59 <dobedobedoh> to indicate that you've finished
+07:33:02 <dobedobedoh> ..
+07:33:04 <dobedobedoh> #topic Items from previous meeting
+07:33:07 <dobedobedoh> #info dan_p LUNS to investigate adding a new mahara integration project to run selenium tests
+07:33:25 <dobedobedoh> I'm fairly sure that dan_p hasnt' had a chance to work on this one any more yet, so I'll action it again for the next meeting
+07:33:28 <dobedobedoh> #action dan_p LUNS to investigate adding a new mahara integration project to run selenium tests
+07:33:49 <dobedobedoh> Is there anything else to discuss arising from the previous meeting that I've forgotten about?
+07:33:59 <fmarier> #info fmarier is Francois Marier
+07:34:05 <dobedobedoh> heh, sorry fmarier ;)
+07:34:09 <fmarier> :)
+07:34:55 <fmarier> dobedobedoh: doesn't look like it from last time's minutes
+07:35:14 <dobedobedoh> Excellent :)
+07:35:19 <dobedobedoh> #topic Where should we put unit tests? [fmarier and dobedobedoh]
+07:35:34 <dobedobedoh> Do you want to go first fmarier?
+07:35:56 <fmarier> so i put this down because i thought that the test directory (top-level directory) would be a place for this
+07:36:13 <fmarier> and because we don't need to include unit tests in the tarballs we give to people
+07:36:27 <fmarier> (the test directory is excluded by the build script)
+07:36:44 <fmarier> but you seem to think it would be better to put them somewhere else
+07:36:44 <fmarier> ..
+07:37:11 <dobedobedoh> I think that it could be  beneficial to allow for unit tests to be placed within each plugin type
+07:37:16 <dobedobedoh> So for example, to write unit tests for an artefact, we should place tests in /artefact/<pluginname>/tests/phpunit
+07:37:23 <dobedobedoh> This has the benefit that plugins can come fully self-contained copmlete with unit tests
+07:37:47 <dobedobedoh> And if anyone wants to have a plugin included in core, we can require that it comes complete with unit tests
+07:38:01 <dobedobedoh> Other projects work along similar lines - e.g. moodle
+07:38:11 <fmarier> we could require that no matter where the tests live though
+07:38:15 <dobedobedoh> We can easily modify the build script to ignore any 'tests' directory
+07:38:44 <dobedobedoh> true, but it would make it easier for anyone using a VCS to have all of the tests easily executable within one location
+07:38:50 <dobedobedoh> and for those who use git submodule for example
+07:38:53 <dobedobedoh> ..
+07:39:39 <fmarier> i'm not opposed to it, but it does make the tarball building script and the test running scripts more complicated
+07:39:39 <richardm> dobedobedoh: so in your scheme, where should the core tests go?
+07:39:52 <fmarier> i personally doubt that many third-party plugings will come with unit tests
+07:40:04 <fmarier> but it would certainly be nice
+07:40:21 <dobedobedoh> For libraries in htdocs/lib/tests; and for anything in the top level directory, /htdocs/tests
+07:40:36 <dobedobedoh> I'm not overly concerned as to where they go ultimately
+07:40:50 <dobedobedoh> But I do think we should make it easy for developers to write plugins with unit tests
+07:41:39 <dobedobedoh> ..
+07:41:40 <elky> I think I'm with dobedobedoh on this.
+07:42:01 <richardm> I'm not too worried about where they go
+07:42:08 <fmarier> dobedobedoh: do you want to look into writing the test running script and modifying the release script to look into the right places?
+07:42:16 <dobedobedoh> yeah I can do :)
+07:42:23 <fmarier> in that case, it's all yours I think :)
+07:42:33 <dobedobedoh> #action dobedobedoh to look at modifying the release script, and test running script
+07:42:37 <dobedobedoh> heh okay
+07:43:03 <dobedobedoh> There are still a few minor issues with the unit tests
+07:43:25 <dobedobedoh> At present if you try and build test coverage it gets a trifle unhappy as it tries to test every UI file as well as libs
+07:43:31 <dobedobedoh> and complains about files being re-declared
+07:43:53 <dobedobedoh> But I think we should be able to get most of core tested now :)
+07:44:00 <dobedobedoh> ..
+07:44:09 <elky> Is this what was crying with the mysql stuff?
+07:44:32 <dobedobedoh> Nope... that was ADODB storing the password in $password as 'not stored'
+07:44:45 <elky> ... lolwat
+07:44:46 <dobedobedoh> Which is fine, until you __sleep and __wakup
+07:45:02 <elky> which mysql likes to do i hear.
+07:45:10 <dobedobedoh> As a 'security measure', when you Connect(), after connecting it stores the password as the string literal 'not stored'
+07:45:17 <dobedobedoh> Oh sorry... that's the other bug
+07:45:38 <dobedobedoh> That was caused by MySQL losing it's compatibility mode
+07:45:44 <dobedobedoh> It wasn't being re-applied on the __wakup
+07:45:45 <dobedobedoh> ..
+07:45:58 <fmarier> it's a really good thing you caught that
+07:46:11 <dobedobedoh> It would have caused some very interesting issues
+07:46:47 <dobedobedoh> I've outlined my intentions WRT to the testing script at https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Talk:Developer_Area/Unit_Testing
+07:47:06 <dobedobedoh> I'd like to test any database upgrades that we do
+07:47:14 <dobedobedoh> as well as run the full unit tests on a fresh install
+07:47:20 <dobedobedoh> ..
+07:47:50 <elky> you're going to *love* the timezone change then when we get to them
+07:47:57 * fmarier should start using the cli installer
+07:48:01 <dobedobedoh> heh
+07:48:17 <dobedobedoh> Is there anything else to dicuss on unit testing before I move on?
+07:48:47 <dobedobedoh> I'm looking forward to the TZ changes being applied to mahara.org - that's for certain!
+07:49:21 <fmarier> yeah me too!
+07:49:41 <elky> "what do you mean it's 11pm? Oh right, that silly island thinks its time is important" :P
+07:50:15 <dobedobedoh> :p
+07:50:22 <anitsirk> elky: actually, i think it's texas time that's displayed on mahara.org because that's where the server is. ;-)
+07:50:56 <elky> anitsirk, ah, my mistake. still :P
+07:51:07 <fmarier> yeah, it was fine when it was NZ time :P
+07:51:22 <dobedobedoh> It's mightily confusing!
+07:51:29 <elky> should just make it UTC and confuse everyone
+07:51:54 <fmarier> anyways, we should probably move to the next agenda item, i think we're done talking about unit tests
+07:52:01 <elky> yup
+07:52:08 <dobedobedoh> Since zzmonty isn't here yet, I'll jump to pxh's - you ready for it pxh?
+07:52:36 <dobedobedoh> #topic Web Services - an update, and request for API ideas [pxh]
+07:52:40 <pxh> yup
+07:52:44 <dobedobedoh> The floor is yours
+07:53:07 <pxh> ok - this was just an update on where things have got to with the artefact/webservice plugin
+07:53:19 <pxh> Web Services (https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Plugins/Artefact/WebServices) now has OAuth support including OOB.
+07:53:19 <pxh> I've also added personal user tokens -  a variation on the wstoken as implmented by Moodle - where users can manage their own tokens for specific API calls that have been allocated for general use.
+07:53:19 <pxh> These general use API calls would typically be ones that only access the users own data eg: mahara_user_get_my_user.  I'm hoping that having features like this will open up interesting scripting opportunities on systems like myPortfolio.
+07:53:37 <dobedobedoh> #info Web Services now has OAuth support including OOB
+07:53:43 <dobedobedoh> #link https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Plugins/Artefact/WebServices
+07:54:10 <dobedobedoh> #info Personal user tokens are supported and users can manage their own tokens for specific API calls
+07:54:57 <dobedobedoh> #info This should open things up more for scripting opportunities
+07:55:07 <dobedobedoh> #save
+07:55:08 <richardm> sounds great pxh
+07:55:12 <pxh> I've written quite a lot of unit tests
+07:55:27 * dobedobedoh grins
+07:55:50 <pxh> the existing APIs are mostly centred around the ministry of Educations (NZ) requirements for myPortfolio
+07:56:21 <pxh> so it things like user CRUD, groups, and institution membership
+07:56:30 <pxh> ... not very user centric
+07:56:48 <dobedobedoh> #info Existing APIs mostly centred around myPortfolio
+07:56:54 <pxh> so - I was hoping to branch this out to APIs that are of a more generic usefulness
+07:57:00 <dobedobedoh> Sounds really handy - I've got a use for that at present
+07:57:09 <richardm> Alan McNatty is looking at using it for the next maharadroid release
+07:57:29 <pxh> yup
+07:57:32 <richardm> He's pretty keen to get the webservice plugin in core
+07:58:22 <pxh> there is work to do around that
+07:58:39 <richardm> yeah, i hope to have some free time soonish to help out
+07:59:27 <dobedobedoh> So at present, the API allows CRUD of groups, and institution membership (and presumably CRUD of users too)
+07:59:41 <pxh> As artefact/webservice is based on the Moodle webservice code base it needs going over - I've spent a lot of time going through it and cleaning out superfluous stuff, but there is still quite a lot to do - I think
+07:59:42 <dobedobedoh> But doesn't allow for users to do anything with the API
+07:59:55 <anitsirk> sorry to ask, pxh, but what does CRUD stand for?
+07:59:59 <pxh> dobedobedoh: yes
+08:00:07 <fmarier> anitsirk: create, read, update and delete
+08:00:13 <anitsirk> thanks
+08:00:27 <anzeljg> anitsirk +1 - i didn't know that too
+08:01:47 <pxh> so - I'd like to field suggestions for APIs - or atleast have a place for peoples ideas on this front
+08:01:49 <pxh> ..
+08:02:34 <dobedobedoh> do you want suggestions here/now; or to the wiki page?
+08:03:36 <pxh> I don't want to hold people up - people can catch me later - and I can organise them onto a wiki page
+08:03:53 <pxh> but if the creative juices are flowing then don't let me stop you
+08:04:54 <dobedobedoh> I guess one thing which might be helpful is the ability to copy pages
+08:05:12 <dobedobedoh> both from a user to become a template, and from user to user (e.g. administrator to all members of a group)
+08:05:25 <dobedobedoh> But that's probably more a web interface request than API now I think about it...
+08:06:27 <pxh> ok - noted
+08:07:06 <dobedobedoh> Thanks pxh :) The WS API looks good
+08:07:57 <dobedobedoh> Unless there are any objections, I'll move on to the next topic then...
+08:08:58 <pxh> ..
+08:09:02 <dobedobedoh> #topic Wiki - Adding extensions to make adding/editing pages easier [zzmonty]
+08:09:24 <dobedobedoh> I don't think that zzmonty is here, does anyone want to discuss this in her absence?
+08:09:33 <dobedobedoh> (I've seperated these into two topics btw)
+08:10:07 <fmarier> we should probably do it next time if she's around
+08:10:14 <dobedobedoh> okay
+08:10:26 <dobedobedoh> I'll park it straight onto the next meeting wiki page
+08:10:29 <dobedobedoh> #topic Wiki - Request to allow additional extensions (.zip) to make it easier for user contributed content [zzmonty]
+08:10:38 <dobedobedoh> I guess the same is true for this one fmarier?
+08:10:49 <fmarier> i've replied to that one on the forum already
+08:11:03 <dobedobedoh> #info dobedobedoh to add zzmonty's items to the agenda for the next meeting
+08:11:11 <fmarier> basically zip files should be on mahara.org where we can control quotas
+08:11:23 <dobedobedoh> I'm not sure whether this item was added pre or post your comment on the forum
+08:11:28 <fmarier> on the wiki, if we allow zip files, then people have unlimited storage for any kind of content at all
+08:11:48 <fmarier> we can't afford to be a public dropbox :)
+08:12:11 <fmarier> (on the old wiki, i found lots of spam pages and also personal files from random people)
+08:12:34 <elky> I don't understand people.
+08:12:34 <fmarier> ..
+08:12:45 <dobedobedoh> Okay, well I'll park these for the next meeting then
+08:13:25 <dobedobedoh> Which brings us on to the next topic
+08:13:30 <dobedobedoh> #topic Next meeting time/date and Chair
+08:13:48 <fmarier> and i've got something else for the "any other business" part too
+08:13:52 <dobedobedoh> Next month's meeting will be an evening UTC meeting
+08:14:07 <dobedobedoh> okay... AOB will be next ;) I accidentally reversed the order
+08:14:28 <dobedobedoh> Anyone have any suggestions for next month?
+08:14:30 <dobedobedoh> Tuesday 1st November @ 19:30 UTC (19:30 GMT/08:30 NZST)
+08:14:35 <dobedobedoh> #idea Tuesday 1st November @ 19:30 UTC (19:30 GMT/08:30 NZST)
+08:15:05 <fmarier> what would it look like the week after?
+08:15:24 <fmarier> because the week after would be after daylight saving kicks in
+08:15:27 <dobedobedoh> 8th November?
+08:15:29 <dobedobedoh> Ah okay
+08:15:34 <anitsirk> the week after or even tuesday evening GMT would be better
+08:16:21 <anitsirk> isn't daylight savings the last sunday in october?
+08:16:24 * anitsirk checks
+08:16:29 <dobedobedoh> So that'd be Tuesday 8th November @ 18:30 UTC (19:30 GMT/08:30 NZST) ?
+08:17:08 <anitsirk> yep. daylight savings ends on 30 october 2011 for europe
+08:17:12 <fmarier> dobedobedoh: no
+08:17:16 <fmarier> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20111108T1930
+08:17:23 <fmarier> UTC doesn't do daylight savings :)
+08:17:38 <dobedobedoh> Which bits wrong?
+08:18:38 * dobedobedoh spots it
+08:19:02 <fmarier> 19:30 UTC is: 19:30 London time (Tue) and 08:30 NZ time (Wed)
+08:19:06 <dobedobedoh> #idea Tuesday 8th November @ 19:30 UTC (19:30 GMT/08:30 9th NZST) ?
+08:19:36 <fmarier> it's better to never print out more than one date
+08:19:46 <fmarier> that way you can never have conflicting ones :)
+08:20:08 * elky mutters something about timezones.
+08:20:17 * fmarier once missed a Mahara meeting because of wrong conversions in the minutes of the previous meeting
+08:20:26 <anitsirk> time is fine for me
+08:20:33 <dobedobedoh> works for me
+08:20:35 <dobedobedoh> #agreed
+08:20:43 <fmarier> #agreed
+08:20:51 <dobedobedoh> Any volunteers for chair?
+08:21:48 <dobedobedoh> #info Next developer meeting to be held on Tuesday 8th November @ 19:30 UTC - http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20111108T1930
+08:22:38 <fmarier> i'm guessing we've all done it once?
+08:22:47 <dobedobedoh> If no-one comes forward soon, I'll pick someone unsuspecting...
+08:22:52 <dobedobedoh> yeah I think so
+08:23:36 <fmarier> i'll do it then
+08:23:37 <anitsirk> don't think so
+08:24:03 <dobedobedoh> #info Next meeting to be chaired by fmarier
+08:24:06 <richardm> erm, no i haven't done it yet
+08:24:13 <richardm> i'll do it, sorry
+08:24:18 <dobedobedoh> ooh okay :)
+08:24:19 <dobedobedoh> #undo
+08:24:19 <maharameet> Removing item from minutes: <MeetBot.items.Info object at 0x9805f8c>
+08:24:26 <dobedobedoh> #info Next meeting to be chaired by richardm
+08:24:27 <elky> ...
+08:24:43 <dobedobedoh> have you done it elky?
+08:24:58 <dobedobedoh> #topic Any other business
+08:25:01 <fmarier> richardm: https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Developer_Meetings/Chair_Duties
+08:25:04 <elky> dobedobedoh, not yet. 5 minutes after i get out of bed isn't the best idea either ;)
+08:25:07 <fmarier> (in case you haven't seen it)
+08:25:14 <elky> nex time perhaps
+08:25:21 <elky> as in, the one after richardm
+08:25:22 <richardm> fmarier: thanks
+08:25:25 <dobedobedoh> heh indeed. I did suggest a while back that we chair in our own evenings
+08:25:27 <anitsirk> then the december meeting may be yours. that'll be in the evening ;-)
+08:25:40 <elky> sounds good
+08:25:47 <anzeljg> I've got a couple of questions
+08:25:47 <dobedobedoh> fmarier - you had an AOB?
+08:25:58 <anzeljg> #info anzeljg wants to let everybody know that his development Mahara install at http://mahara.ledina.org/DEV/ no longer exists
+08:26:00 <fmarier> so the point i wanted to bring up is bug numbers in commits
+08:26:40 <dobedobedoh> anzeljg: You oky to come after fmarier?
+08:26:48 <fmarier> basically, i think it's a good thing and we've been pretty good at including them, but at the same time, i think that it shouldn't be a strict requirement
+08:26:50 <anzeljg> yes, sorry to interrupt
+08:27:33 <elky> fmarier, should we be committing things that don't exist in the bugtracker?
+08:27:37 <fmarier> because it might discourage people from code cleanups and small trivial fixes if they have to take the pain of filing a bug report for them
+08:27:52 <anitsirk> trivial fixes such as small typos.
+08:28:16 <fmarier> there are clear-cut cases like: you're adding a new feature, or you're fixing a bug that has been nagging a lot of users
+08:28:32 <fmarier> these ones should obviously have bugs so that they're more visible to users and admins
+08:28:58 <fmarier> so i think that it should be a discretionary thing on the part of the reviewers
+08:29:02 <richardm> yeah i think we already decided they shouldn't be a strict requirement a couple of meetings ago
+08:29:16 <dobedobedoh> yeah - I'm inclined to agree
+08:29:18 <fmarier> if a reviewer thinks that it would be useful, then it probably should have one
+08:29:19 <elky> fmarier, should we ask them to use a certain string so we know not to try marry it to the bugtracker?
+08:29:43 <fmarier> but i've seen some reviews where it's like "no bug link, -1"
+08:29:58 <anitsirk> always creating a bug for fixing one typo in a lang string doesn't merit a bug report. i did a couple of times, but it seems like too much hoopla for a couple of letter changes. so fmarier suggested i can clean up lang strings without creating a bug for each which would be awesome and less disruptive on the tracker.
+08:29:58 <fmarier> ..
+08:30:12 <elky> ok, which just means we need to decide our expectations and document it.
+08:30:34 <dobedobedoh> ok
+08:31:13 <fmarier> it's already documented in the "how to review" wiki page: https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/How_to_Review_Code#Commit_message
+08:31:36 <dobedobedoh> Is that everything you wanted to raise fmarier?
+08:32:06 <elky> if we want to use the bug numbers to keep track of changes for bugs, then having typo fix commits have, say (typo fix) instead of (bug #xxxxxx) would help avoid the "no link, -1"
+08:32:09 <fmarier> i've added two examples to that wiki page
+08:32:30 <fmarier> elky: i don't think it needs to be computer-readable
+08:32:38 * iarenaza says hi
+08:32:43 <anitsirk> hi iarenaza
+08:32:45 <fmarier> if the commit is obvious, then the reviewer should pick up on that
+08:32:54 <anzeljg> hi iarenaza
+08:33:05 <fmarier> reviewing requires good judgment
+08:33:34 <pxh> +1
+08:33:52 <pxh> oops - sorry
+08:33:54 <elky> fmarier, of course, but spending half an hour trying to find a bug it relates to when launchpad goes the speed of a snail is also not idea.
+08:33:58 <elky> ideal*
+08:34:32 <elky> it's just a thought
+08:34:34 <fmarier> well if the commit is trivial, then you don't have to search for a bug
+08:34:40 <fmarier> or create a new one
+08:34:58 <fmarier> so i think we're saying the same thing
+08:35:33 <dobedobedoh> I think we can probably manage without bug numbers and use our judgement if it's a trivial change
+08:36:32 <elky> I think it can't hurt to encourage submitters to identify if it's related to a bug or not
+08:38:07 <dobedobedoh> I think people generally will
+08:38:24 <dobedobedoh> I'm going got suggest that we move on to anzeljg's AOB now as this topic seems to be circling
+08:38:40 <elky> ok
+08:39:16 <dobedobedoh> anzeljg: The floor is yours
+08:39:46 <anzeljg> what is the answer about pChart?
+08:39:57 <anzeljg> In the meantime, I'm implementing eZ Components (Graph Component) insted of pChart
+08:40:49 <fmarier> anzeljg: so far, i haven't received an answer from the author to my questions
+08:41:08 <fmarier> so we should probably assume for now that it's not open source
+08:41:13 <fmarier> and that we can't use it
+08:41:14 <dobedobedoh> #info fmarier hasn't heard back from the author of pChart about licensing conflicts
+08:41:35 <dobedobedoh> #info anzeljg implementing eZ Components instead
+08:41:44 <anzeljg> ok
+08:42:06 <anzeljg> and my other question - is there something new on skin support integration?
+08:43:17 <dobedobedoh> richardm: Do you have any info on this?
+08:43:23 <fmarier> i haven't had time to look at it yet
+08:43:34 * iarenaza Looking at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pchart/ it says it's GPL-ed
+08:44:30 <richardm> no, i've been too busy as well
+08:44:31 <dobedobedoh> iarenaza: http://www.pchart.net/license states that it's not for commercial application without buying a license which != GPL
+08:44:49 <anitsirk> but if the author doesn't get back isn't that also a sign that the project may not be very active?
+08:45:15 <fmarier> anitsirk: the author got back to me on my initial query, but then i haven't heard back when i sent him a few questions
+08:45:28 <fmarier> so i think the project is active
+08:45:40 <dobedobedoh> #info No update on skins support... ongoing
+08:45:48 <fmarier> i would just want to clarify whether or not it's under the GPL
+08:45:55 <fmarier> from what's on the website, it's not
+08:46:40 <fmarier> anyways, i'll update the bug if/when i hear back
+08:46:56 <dobedobedoh> Is there anything else to discuss?
+08:47:05 <anzeljg> not from me
+08:47:05 <iarenaza> fmarier: the text from dobedobedoh's link is rather ambiguous, so a definitive answer from the author is really a good idea :)
+08:47:25 <iarenaza> not from me either (anything else to discuss)
+08:47:25 <anzeljg> just an idea: maybe we can also use eZ Components (Documnet
+08:48:01 <anzeljg> just an idea: maybe we can also use eZ Components (Document component) for PDF export
+08:48:05 <fmarier> #link https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/721496
+08:48:08 <maharabot`> Launchpad bug 721496 in mahara "Using pChart as framework for rendering graphs in Mahara" [Wishlist,Won't fix]
+08:48:14 <fmarier> that's the bug to subscribe to if you're interested
+08:48:17 <dobedobedoh> IIRC lamiette was working on PDF export and it's nearly complete
+08:48:27 <anzeljg> ok
+08:48:43 <dobedobedoh> Perhaps she can comment on that idea when she's available
+08:48:51 <anzeljg> fine with me
+08:49:10 <fmarier> anzeljg: do you know if it requires having xwindows installed?
+08:49:28 <fmarier> because that's one of the downsides of the package that lamiette used in her pdf export code
+08:49:31 <anzeljg> what? eZ Components?
+08:49:44 <fmarier> many servers don't have X installed
+08:50:01 <fmarier> anzeljg: yeah the pdf generation in eZ Components
+08:50:03 <anzeljg> http://ezcomponents.org/docs/tutorials/Document
+08:50:13 <anzeljg> will look...
+08:51:05 <fmarier> it seems to be a wrapper for TCPDF or Haru
+08:51:30 <anzeljg> haven't find it, but see http://ezcomponents.org/docs/api/trunk/introduction_Document.html#writing-pdf
+08:52:41 <anzeljg> it requires haru - http://ezcomponents.org/introduction/requirements
+08:52:59 <elky> Doesnt look like it, fmarier. at least, i can't find mention with a search of the site
+08:53:56 <dobedobedoh> Is there anything else to dicuss re ezcomponents/pChart ?
+08:54:02 <anzeljg> Document component: iconv and haru, Graph component: iconv, xml and dom
+08:54:08 <anzeljg> no
+08:55:10 <lamiette> hello (apologies for lateness)
+08:55:17 <anitsirk> hi lamiette
+08:55:21 <pxh> hi
+08:55:25 <anzeljg> hi
+08:55:28 <dobedobedoh> I guess we need to confirm whether X is required for ezcomponents? Would someone like to take that as an action for the nex meeting?
+08:55:29 <iarenaza> hi lamiette
+08:55:32 <dobedobedoh> #help
+08:55:38 <dobedobedoh> Hi lamiette
+08:56:09 <iarenaza> fmarier: Btw, pchart 1.x (from pchart.sourceforge.net) is clearly GPL (the headers in the source code say so). It's 2.x (from pchart.net) that is "dual licensed".
+08:56:15 <lamiette> PDF export was/is working last time I looked at it, but I wanted to fix some issues with general exporting of collections vs single pages
+08:56:24 <lamiette> I opened a tracker item for it
+08:56:41 <lamiette> so the whole thing still needs some work, and may be a bit dated now already
+08:57:28 <lamiette> I've not had much time to revisit it with other work but am hoping to get some time in a few weeks
+08:58:53 <dobedobedoh> Would someone be able to look at ezcomponets re: xwin then?
+08:59:54 <dobedobedoh> I'm going to try and wrap the meeting up now
+09:00:27 <dobedobedoh> Are there any new AOB to discuss?
+09:00:47 <anitsirk> not from me
+09:01:05 <iarenaza> not from me
+09:01:07 <pxh> no
+09:01:12 <dobedobedoh> Well thank you all :)
+09:01:16 <richardm> thanks dobedobedoh
+09:01:20 <dobedobedoh> #endmeeting
+ diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2011/mahara-dev.2011-10-05-07.31.log.txt b/public_html/mahara-dev/2011/mahara-dev.2011-10-05-07.31.log.txt new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..f12d9d1b17169cb8728708baa3a2215879c8314a --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2011/mahara-dev.2011-10-05-07.31.log.txt @@ -0,0 +1,332 @@ +07:31:45 #startmeeting +07:31:45 Meeting started Wed Oct 5 07:31:45 2011 UTC. The chair is dobedobedoh. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. +07:31:45 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic. +07:31:47 #topic Meeting attendees +07:31:49 Please put #info in front of your name +07:31:51 #info dobedobedoh is Andrew Nicols - LUNS Ltd, UK +07:32:03 #info anzeljg is Gregor An�elj +07:32:09 #info anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner, Catalyst IT, NZ +07:32:11 #info richardm is Richard Mansfield +07:32:26 #info elky is Melissa Draper - Catalyst IT, NZ +07:32:30 #info pxh is Piers Harding, Catalyst +07:32:55 I think that's everyone at the moment +07:32:56 Reminder: Please put ".." on a line by itself at the end of a long multi-line speech +07:32:59 to indicate that you've finished +07:33:02 .. +07:33:04 #topic Items from previous meeting +07:33:07 #info dan_p LUNS to investigate adding a new mahara integration project to run selenium tests +07:33:25 I'm fairly sure that dan_p hasnt' had a chance to work on this one any more yet, so I'll action it again for the next meeting +07:33:28 #action dan_p LUNS to investigate adding a new mahara integration project to run selenium tests +07:33:49 Is there anything else to discuss arising from the previous meeting that I've forgotten about? +07:33:59 #info fmarier is Francois Marier +07:34:05 heh, sorry fmarier ;) +07:34:09 :) +07:34:55 dobedobedoh: doesn't look like it from last time's minutes +07:35:14 Excellent :) +07:35:19 #topic Where should we put unit tests? [fmarier and dobedobedoh] +07:35:34 Do you want to go first fmarier? +07:35:56 so i put this down because i thought that the test directory (top-level directory) would be a place for this +07:36:13 and because we don't need to include unit tests in the tarballs we give to people +07:36:27 (the test directory is excluded by the build script) +07:36:44 but you seem to think it would be better to put them somewhere else +07:36:44 .. +07:37:11 I think that it could be beneficial to allow for unit tests to be placed within each plugin type +07:37:16 So for example, to write unit tests for an artefact, we should place tests in /artefact//tests/phpunit +07:37:23 This has the benefit that plugins can come fully self-contained copmlete with unit tests +07:37:47 And if anyone wants to have a plugin included in core, we can require that it comes complete with unit tests +07:38:01 Other projects work along similar lines - e.g. moodle +07:38:11 we could require that no matter where the tests live though +07:38:15 We can easily modify the build script to ignore any 'tests' directory +07:38:44 true, but it would make it easier for anyone using a VCS to have all of the tests easily executable within one location +07:38:50 and for those who use git submodule for example +07:38:53 .. +07:39:39 i'm not opposed to it, but it does make the tarball building script and the test running scripts more complicated +07:39:39 dobedobedoh: so in your scheme, where should the core tests go? +07:39:52 i personally doubt that many third-party plugings will come with unit tests +07:40:04 but it would certainly be nice +07:40:21 For libraries in htdocs/lib/tests; and for anything in the top level directory, /htdocs/tests +07:40:36 I'm not overly concerned as to where they go ultimately +07:40:50 But I do think we should make it easy for developers to write plugins with unit tests +07:41:39 .. +07:41:40 I think I'm with dobedobedoh on this. +07:42:01 I'm not too worried about where they go +07:42:08 dobedobedoh: do you want to look into writing the test running script and modifying the release script to look into the right places? +07:42:16 yeah I can do :) +07:42:23 in that case, it's all yours I think :) +07:42:33 #action dobedobedoh to look at modifying the release script, and test running script +07:42:37 heh okay +07:43:03 There are still a few minor issues with the unit tests +07:43:25 At present if you try and build test coverage it gets a trifle unhappy as it tries to test every UI file as well as libs +07:43:31 and complains about files being re-declared +07:43:53 But I think we should be able to get most of core tested now :) +07:44:00 .. +07:44:09 Is this what was crying with the mysql stuff? +07:44:32 Nope... that was ADODB storing the password in $password as 'not stored' +07:44:45 ... lolwat +07:44:46 Which is fine, until you __sleep and __wakup +07:45:02 which mysql likes to do i hear. +07:45:10 As a 'security measure', when you Connect(), after connecting it stores the password as the string literal 'not stored' +07:45:17 Oh sorry... that's the other bug +07:45:38 That was caused by MySQL losing it's compatibility mode +07:45:44 It wasn't being re-applied on the __wakup +07:45:45 .. +07:45:58 it's a really good thing you caught that +07:46:11 It would have caused some very interesting issues +07:46:47 I've outlined my intentions WRT to the testing script at https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Talk:Developer_Area/Unit_Testing +07:47:06 I'd like to test any database upgrades that we do +07:47:14 as well as run the full unit tests on a fresh install +07:47:20 .. +07:47:50 you're going to *love* the timezone change then when we get to them +07:47:57 * fmarier should start using the cli installer +07:48:01 heh +07:48:17 Is there anything else to dicuss on unit testing before I move on? +07:48:47 I'm looking forward to the TZ changes being applied to mahara.org - that's for certain! +07:49:21 yeah me too! +07:49:41 "what do you mean it's 11pm? Oh right, that silly island thinks its time is important" :P +07:50:15 :p +07:50:22 elky: actually, i think it's texas time that's displayed on mahara.org because that's where the server is. ;-) +07:50:56 anitsirk, ah, my mistake. still :P +07:51:07 yeah, it was fine when it was NZ time :P +07:51:22 It's mightily confusing! +07:51:29 should just make it UTC and confuse everyone +07:51:54 anyways, we should probably move to the next agenda item, i think we're done talking about unit tests +07:52:01 yup +07:52:08 Since zzmonty isn't here yet, I'll jump to pxh's - you ready for it pxh? +07:52:36 #topic Web Services - an update, and request for API ideas [pxh] +07:52:40 yup +07:52:44 The floor is yours +07:53:07 ok - this was just an update on where things have got to with the artefact/webservice plugin +07:53:19 Web Services (https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Plugins/Artefact/WebServices) now has OAuth support including OOB. +07:53:19 I've also added personal user tokens - a variation on the wstoken as implmented by Moodle - where users can manage their own tokens for specific API calls that have been allocated for general use. +07:53:19 These general use API calls would typically be ones that only access the users own data eg: mahara_user_get_my_user. I'm hoping that having features like this will open up interesting scripting opportunities on systems like myPortfolio. +07:53:37 #info Web Services now has OAuth support including OOB +07:53:43 #link https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Plugins/Artefact/WebServices +07:54:10 #info Personal user tokens are supported and users can manage their own tokens for specific API calls +07:54:57 #info This should open things up more for scripting opportunities +07:55:07 #save +07:55:08 sounds great pxh +07:55:12 I've written quite a lot of unit tests +07:55:27 * dobedobedoh grins +07:55:50 the existing APIs are mostly centred around the ministry of Educations (NZ) requirements for myPortfolio +07:56:21 so it things like user CRUD, groups, and institution membership +07:56:30 ... not very user centric +07:56:48 #info Existing APIs mostly centred around myPortfolio +07:56:54 so - I was hoping to branch this out to APIs that are of a more generic usefulness +07:57:00 Sounds really handy - I've got a use for that at present +07:57:09 Alan McNatty is looking at using it for the next maharadroid release +07:57:29 yup +07:57:32 He's pretty keen to get the webservice plugin in core +07:58:22 there is work to do around that +07:58:39 yeah, i hope to have some free time soonish to help out +07:59:27 So at present, the API allows CRUD of groups, and institution membership (and presumably CRUD of users too) +07:59:41 As artefact/webservice is based on the Moodle webservice code base it needs going over - I've spent a lot of time going through it and cleaning out superfluous stuff, but there is still quite a lot to do - I think +07:59:42 But doesn't allow for users to do anything with the API +07:59:55 sorry to ask, pxh, but what does CRUD stand for? +07:59:59 dobedobedoh: yes +08:00:07 anitsirk: create, read, update and delete +08:00:13 thanks +08:00:27 anitsirk +1 - i didn't know that too +08:01:47 so - I'd like to field suggestions for APIs - or atleast have a place for peoples ideas on this front +08:01:49 .. +08:02:34 do you want suggestions here/now; or to the wiki page? +08:03:36 I don't want to hold people up - people can catch me later - and I can organise them onto a wiki page +08:03:53 but if the creative juices are flowing then don't let me stop you +08:04:54 I guess one thing which might be helpful is the ability to copy pages +08:05:12 both from a user to become a template, and from user to user (e.g. administrator to all members of a group) +08:05:25 But that's probably more a web interface request than API now I think about it... +08:06:27 ok - noted +08:07:06 Thanks pxh :) The WS API looks good +08:07:57 Unless there are any objections, I'll move on to the next topic then... +08:08:58 .. +08:09:02 #topic Wiki - Adding extensions to make adding/editing pages easier [zzmonty] +08:09:24 I don't think that zzmonty is here, does anyone want to discuss this in her absence? +08:09:33 (I've seperated these into two topics btw) +08:10:07 we should probably do it next time if she's around +08:10:14 okay +08:10:26 I'll park it straight onto the next meeting wiki page +08:10:29 #topic Wiki - Request to allow additional extensions (.zip) to make it easier for user contributed content [zzmonty] +08:10:38 I guess the same is true for this one fmarier? +08:10:49 i've replied to that one on the forum already +08:11:03 #info dobedobedoh to add zzmonty's items to the agenda for the next meeting +08:11:11 basically zip files should be on mahara.org where we can control quotas +08:11:23 I'm not sure whether this item was added pre or post your comment on the forum +08:11:28 on the wiki, if we allow zip files, then people have unlimited storage for any kind of content at all +08:11:48 we can't afford to be a public dropbox :) +08:12:11 (on the old wiki, i found lots of spam pages and also personal files from random people) +08:12:34 I don't understand people. +08:12:34 .. +08:12:45 Okay, well I'll park these for the next meeting then +08:13:25 Which brings us on to the next topic +08:13:30 #topic Next meeting time/date and Chair +08:13:48 and i've got something else for the "any other business" part too +08:13:52 Next month's meeting will be an evening UTC meeting +08:14:07 okay... AOB will be next ;) I accidentally reversed the order +08:14:28 Anyone have any suggestions for next month? +08:14:30 Tuesday 1st November @ 19:30 UTC (19:30 GMT/08:30 NZST) +08:14:35 #idea Tuesday 1st November @ 19:30 UTC (19:30 GMT/08:30 NZST) +08:15:05 what would it look like the week after? +08:15:24 because the week after would be after daylight saving kicks in +08:15:27 8th November? +08:15:29 Ah okay +08:15:34 the week after or even tuesday evening GMT would be better +08:16:21 isn't daylight savings the last sunday in october? +08:16:24 * anitsirk checks +08:16:29 So that'd be Tuesday 8th November @ 18:30 UTC (19:30 GMT/08:30 NZST) ? +08:17:08 yep. daylight savings ends on 30 october 2011 for europe +08:17:12 dobedobedoh: no +08:17:16 http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20111108T1930 +08:17:23 UTC doesn't do daylight savings :) +08:17:38 Which bits wrong? +08:18:38 * dobedobedoh spots it +08:19:02 19:30 UTC is: 19:30 London time (Tue) and 08:30 NZ time (Wed) +08:19:06 #idea Tuesday 8th November @ 19:30 UTC (19:30 GMT/08:30 9th NZST) ? +08:19:36 it's better to never print out more than one date +08:19:46 that way you can never have conflicting ones :) +08:20:08 * elky mutters something about timezones. +08:20:17 * fmarier once missed a Mahara meeting because of wrong conversions in the minutes of the previous meeting +08:20:26 time is fine for me +08:20:33 works for me +08:20:35 #agreed +08:20:43 #agreed +08:20:51 Any volunteers for chair? +08:21:48 #info Next developer meeting to be held on Tuesday 8th November @ 19:30 UTC - http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20111108T1930 +08:22:38 i'm guessing we've all done it once? +08:22:47 If no-one comes forward soon, I'll pick someone unsuspecting... +08:22:52 yeah I think so +08:23:36 i'll do it then +08:23:37 don't think so +08:24:03 #info Next meeting to be chaired by fmarier +08:24:06 erm, no i haven't done it yet +08:24:13 i'll do it, sorry +08:24:18 ooh okay :) +08:24:19 #undo +08:24:19 Removing item from minutes: +08:24:26 #info Next meeting to be chaired by richardm +08:24:27 ... +08:24:43 have you done it elky? +08:24:58 #topic Any other business +08:25:01 richardm: https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Developer_Meetings/Chair_Duties +08:25:04 dobedobedoh, not yet. 5 minutes after i get out of bed isn't the best idea either ;) +08:25:07 (in case you haven't seen it) +08:25:14 nex time perhaps +08:25:21 as in, the one after richardm +08:25:22 fmarier: thanks +08:25:25 heh indeed. I did suggest a while back that we chair in our own evenings +08:25:27 then the december meeting may be yours. that'll be in the evening ;-) +08:25:40 sounds good +08:25:47 I've got a couple of questions +08:25:47 fmarier - you had an AOB? +08:25:58 #info anzeljg wants to let everybody know that his development Mahara install at http://mahara.ledina.org/DEV/ no longer exists +08:26:00 so the point i wanted to bring up is bug numbers in commits +08:26:40 anzeljg: You oky to come after fmarier? +08:26:48 basically, i think it's a good thing and we've been pretty good at including them, but at the same time, i think that it shouldn't be a strict requirement +08:26:50 yes, sorry to interrupt +08:27:33 fmarier, should we be committing things that don't exist in the bugtracker? +08:27:37 because it might discourage people from code cleanups and small trivial fixes if they have to take the pain of filing a bug report for them +08:27:52 trivial fixes such as small typos. +08:28:16 there are clear-cut cases like: you're adding a new feature, or you're fixing a bug that has been nagging a lot of users +08:28:32 these ones should obviously have bugs so that they're more visible to users and admins +08:28:58 so i think that it should be a discretionary thing on the part of the reviewers +08:29:02 yeah i think we already decided they shouldn't be a strict requirement a couple of meetings ago +08:29:16 yeah - I'm inclined to agree +08:29:18 if a reviewer thinks that it would be useful, then it probably should have one +08:29:19 fmarier, should we ask them to use a certain string so we know not to try marry it to the bugtracker? +08:29:43 but i've seen some reviews where it's like "no bug link, -1" +08:29:58 always creating a bug for fixing one typo in a lang string doesn't merit a bug report. i did a couple of times, but it seems like too much hoopla for a couple of letter changes. so fmarier suggested i can clean up lang strings without creating a bug for each which would be awesome and less disruptive on the tracker. +08:29:58 .. +08:30:12 ok, which just means we need to decide our expectations and document it. +08:30:34 ok +08:31:13 it's already documented in the "how to review" wiki page: https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/How_to_Review_Code#Commit_message +08:31:36 Is that everything you wanted to raise fmarier? +08:32:06 if we want to use the bug numbers to keep track of changes for bugs, then having typo fix commits have, say (typo fix) instead of (bug #xxxxxx) would help avoid the "no link, -1" +08:32:09 i've added two examples to that wiki page +08:32:30 elky: i don't think it needs to be computer-readable +08:32:38 * iarenaza says hi +08:32:43 hi iarenaza +08:32:45 if the commit is obvious, then the reviewer should pick up on that +08:32:54 hi iarenaza +08:33:05 reviewing requires good judgment +08:33:34 +1 +08:33:52 oops - sorry +08:33:54 fmarier, of course, but spending half an hour trying to find a bug it relates to when launchpad goes the speed of a snail is also not idea. +08:33:58 ideal* +08:34:32 it's just a thought +08:34:34 well if the commit is trivial, then you don't have to search for a bug +08:34:40 or create a new one +08:34:58 so i think we're saying the same thing +08:35:33 I think we can probably manage without bug numbers and use our judgement if it's a trivial change +08:36:32 I think it can't hurt to encourage submitters to identify if it's related to a bug or not +08:38:07 I think people generally will +08:38:24 I'm going got suggest that we move on to anzeljg's AOB now as this topic seems to be circling +08:38:40 ok +08:39:16 anzeljg: The floor is yours +08:39:46 what is the answer about pChart? +08:39:57 In the meantime, I'm implementing eZ Components (Graph Component) insted of pChart +08:40:49 anzeljg: so far, i haven't received an answer from the author to my questions +08:41:08 so we should probably assume for now that it's not open source +08:41:13 and that we can't use it +08:41:14 #info fmarier hasn't heard back from the author of pChart about licensing conflicts +08:41:35 #info anzeljg implementing eZ Components instead +08:41:44 ok +08:42:06 and my other question - is there something new on skin support integration? +08:43:17 richardm: Do you have any info on this? +08:43:23 i haven't had time to look at it yet +08:43:34 * iarenaza Looking at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pchart/ it says it's GPL-ed +08:44:30 no, i've been too busy as well +08:44:31 iarenaza: http://www.pchart.net/license states that it's not for commercial application without buying a license which != GPL +08:44:49 but if the author doesn't get back isn't that also a sign that the project may not be very active? +08:45:15 anitsirk: the author got back to me on my initial query, but then i haven't heard back when i sent him a few questions +08:45:28 so i think the project is active +08:45:40 #info No update on skins support... ongoing +08:45:48 i would just want to clarify whether or not it's under the GPL +08:45:55 from what's on the website, it's not +08:46:40 anyways, i'll update the bug if/when i hear back +08:46:56 Is there anything else to discuss? +08:47:05 not from me +08:47:05 fmarier: the text from dobedobedoh's link is rather ambiguous, so a definitive answer from the author is really a good idea :) +08:47:25 not from me either (anything else to discuss) +08:47:25 just an idea: maybe we can also use eZ Components (Documnet +08:48:01 just an idea: maybe we can also use eZ Components (Document component) for PDF export +08:48:05 #link https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/721496 +08:48:08 Launchpad bug 721496 in mahara "Using pChart as framework for rendering graphs in Mahara" [Wishlist,Won't fix] +08:48:14 that's the bug to subscribe to if you're interested +08:48:17 IIRC lamiette was working on PDF export and it's nearly complete +08:48:27 ok +08:48:43 Perhaps she can comment on that idea when she's available +08:48:51 fine with me +08:49:10 anzeljg: do you know if it requires having xwindows installed? +08:49:28 because that's one of the downsides of the package that lamiette used in her pdf export code +08:49:31 what? eZ Components? +08:49:44 many servers don't have X installed +08:50:01 anzeljg: yeah the pdf generation in eZ Components +08:50:03 http://ezcomponents.org/docs/tutorials/Document +08:50:13 will look... +08:51:05 it seems to be a wrapper for TCPDF or Haru +08:51:30 haven't find it, but see http://ezcomponents.org/docs/api/trunk/introduction_Document.html#writing-pdf +08:52:41 it requires haru - http://ezcomponents.org/introduction/requirements +08:52:59 Doesnt look like it, fmarier. at least, i can't find mention with a search of the site +08:53:56 Is there anything else to dicuss re ezcomponents/pChart ? +08:54:02 Document component: iconv and haru, Graph component: iconv, xml and dom +08:54:08 no +08:55:10 hello (apologies for lateness) +08:55:17 hi lamiette +08:55:21 hi +08:55:25 hi +08:55:28 I guess we need to confirm whether X is required for ezcomponents? Would someone like to take that as an action for the nex meeting? +08:55:29 hi lamiette +08:55:32 #help +08:55:38 Hi lamiette +08:56:09 fmarier: Btw, pchart 1.x (from pchart.sourceforge.net) is clearly GPL (the headers in the source code say so). It's 2.x (from pchart.net) that is "dual licensed". +08:56:15 PDF export was/is working last time I looked at it, but I wanted to fix some issues with general exporting of collections vs single pages +08:56:24 I opened a tracker item for it +08:56:41 so the whole thing still needs some work, and may be a bit dated now already +08:57:28 I've not had much time to revisit it with other work but am hoping to get some time in a few weeks +08:58:53 Would someone be able to look at ezcomponets re: xwin then? +08:59:54 I'm going to try and wrap the meeting up now +09:00:27 Are there any new AOB to discuss? +09:00:47 not from me +09:01:05 not from me +09:01:07 no +09:01:12 Well thank you all :) +09:01:16 thanks dobedobedoh +09:01:20 #endmeeting \ No newline at end of file diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2011/mahara-dev.2011-10-05-07.31.txt b/public_html/mahara-dev/2011/mahara-dev.2011-10-05-07.31.txt new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..7f786e299a832397612d16d9a5630969625fc593 --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2011/mahara-dev.2011-10-05-07.31.txt @@ -0,0 +1,131 @@ +=================== +#mahara-dev Meeting +=================== + + +Meeting started by dobedobedoh at 07:31:45 UTC. The full logs are +available at +http://meetbot.mahara.org/mahara-dev/2011/mahara-dev.2011-10-05-07.31.log.html +. + + + +Meeting summary +--------------- +* Meeting attendees (dobedobedoh, 07:31:47) + * dobedobedoh is Andrew Nicols - LUNS Ltd, UK (dobedobedoh, 07:31:51) + * anzeljg is Gregor An�elj (anzeljg, 07:32:03) + * anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner, Catalyst IT, NZ (anitsirk, 07:32:09) + * richardm is Richard Mansfield (richardm, 07:32:11) + * elky is Melissa Draper - Catalyst IT, NZ (elky, 07:32:26) + * pxh is Piers Harding, Catalyst (pxh, 07:32:30) + +* Items from previous meeting (dobedobedoh, 07:33:04) + * dan_p LUNS to investigate adding a new mahara integration project to + run selenium tests (dobedobedoh, 07:33:07) + * ACTION: dan_p LUNS to investigate adding a new mahara integration + project to run selenium tests (dobedobedoh, 07:33:28) + * fmarier is Francois Marier (fmarier, 07:33:59) + +* Where should we put unit tests? [fmarier and dobedobedoh] + (dobedobedoh, 07:35:19) + * ACTION: dobedobedoh to look at modifying the release script, and + test running script (dobedobedoh, 07:42:33) + +* Web Services - an update, and request for API ideas [pxh] + (dobedobedoh, 07:52:36) + * Web Services now has OAuth support including OOB (dobedobedoh, + 07:53:37) + * LINK: https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Plugins/Artefact/WebServices + (dobedobedoh, 07:53:43) + * Personal user tokens are supported and users can manage their own + tokens for specific API calls (dobedobedoh, 07:54:10) + * This should open things up more for scripting opportunities + (dobedobedoh, 07:54:57) + * Existing APIs mostly centred around myPortfolio (dobedobedoh, + 07:56:48) + +* Wiki - Adding extensions to make adding/editing pages easier [zzmonty] + (dobedobedoh, 08:09:02) + +* Wiki - Request to allow additional extensions (.zip) to make it easier + for user contributed content [zzmonty] (dobedobedoh, 08:10:29) + * dobedobedoh to add zzmonty's items to the agenda for the next + meeting (dobedobedoh, 08:11:03) + +* Next meeting time/date and Chair (dobedobedoh, 08:13:30) + * IDEA: Tuesday 1st November @ 19:30 UTC (19:30 GMT/08:30 NZST) + (dobedobedoh, 08:14:35) + * LINK: + http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20111108T1930 + (fmarier, 08:17:16) + * IDEA: Tuesday 8th November @ 19:30 UTC (19:30 GMT/08:30 9th NZST) ? + (dobedobedoh, 08:19:06) + * AGREED: (dobedobedoh, 08:20:35) + * Next developer meeting to be held on Tuesday 8th November @ 19:30 + UTC - + http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20111108T1930 + (dobedobedoh, 08:21:48) + * Next meeting to be chaired by richardm (dobedobedoh, 08:24:26) + +* Any other business (dobedobedoh, 08:24:58) + * anzeljg wants to let everybody know that his development Mahara + install at http://mahara.ledina.org/DEV/ no longer exists (anzeljg, + 08:25:58) + * fmarier hasn't heard back from the author of pChart about licensing + conflicts (dobedobedoh, 08:41:14) + * anzeljg implementing eZ Components instead (dobedobedoh, 08:41:35) + * No update on skins support... ongoing (dobedobedoh, 08:45:40) + * LINK: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/721496 (fmarier, + 08:48:05) + * LINK: http://ezcomponents.org/docs/tutorials/Document (anzeljg, + 08:50:03) + * HELP: (dobedobedoh, 08:55:32) + +Meeting ended at 09:01:20 UTC. + + + + +Action Items +------------ +* dan_p LUNS to investigate adding a new mahara integration project to + run selenium tests +* dobedobedoh to look at modifying the release script, and test running + script + + + + +Action Items, by person +----------------------- +* dobedobedoh + * dobedobedoh to look at modifying the release script, and test + running script +* **UNASSIGNED** + * dan_p LUNS to investigate adding a new mahara integration project to + run selenium tests + + + + +People Present (lines said) +--------------------------- +* dobedobedoh (136) +* fmarier (75) +* elky (27) +* pxh (25) +* anzeljg (23) +* anitsirk (17) +* richardm (13) +* iarenaza (7) +* lamiette (5) +* maharameet (3) +* maharabot` (1) + + + + +Generated by `MeetBot`_ 0.1.4 + +.. _`MeetBot`: http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot