Commit e78676d3 authored by Andrew Robert Nicols's avatar Andrew Robert Nicols

[mahardev] Meeting of 5th September 2013

Signed-off-by: default avatarAndrew Robert Nicols <andrew@nicols.co.uk>
parent 63053cda
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8">
<title>#mahara-dev Meeting</title>
<style type="text/css">
/* This is for the .html in the HTML2 writer */
body {
font-family: Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size:14px;
}
h1 {
text-align: center;
}
a {
color:navy;
text-decoration: none;
border-bottom:1px dotted navy;
}
a:hover {
text-decoration:none;
border-bottom: 0;
color:#0000B9;
}
hr {
border: 1px solid #ccc;
}
/* The (nick, time) item pairs, and other body text things. */
.details {
font-size: 12px;
font-weight:bold;
}
/* The 'AGREED:', 'IDEA', etc, prefix to lines. */
.itemtype {
font-style: normal; /* un-italics it */
font-weight: bold;
}
/* Example: change single item types. Capitalized command name.
/* .TOPIC { color:navy; } */
/* .AGREED { color:lime; } */
</style>
</head>
<body>
<h1>#mahara-dev Meeting</h1>
<span class="details">
Meeting started by aarowlaptop at 08:01:15 UTC
(<a href="mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html">full logs</a>).</span>
<br><br>
<h3>Meeting summary</h3>
<ol>
<li>
<ol type="a">
<li><span class="INFO">anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner, Catalyst IT,
Wellington, NZ</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-6'>anitsirk</a>,
08:01:49)</span></li>
<li><span class="INFO">aarowlaptop is Aaron Wells at Catalyst IT in
Wellington, NZ</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-7'>aarowlaptop</a>,
08:02:03)</span></li>
<li><span class="INFO">robertl_ is Robert Lyon, Catalyst IT in
Wellington, NZ</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-8'>robertl_</a>,
08:02:30)</span></li>
<li><span class="INFO">dobedobedoh is Andrew Nicols at Lancaster
University, UK (just)</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-9'>dobedobedoh</a>,
08:02:47)</span></li>
<li><span class="INFO">sonn_ is Son Nguyen at Catalyst IT in
Wellington, NZ</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-10'>sonn_</a>,
08:02:55)</span></li>
</ol>
<br></li>
<li><b class="TOPIC">Items from last meeting</b> <span class="details">(<a href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-19'>aarowlaptop</a>, 08:04:44)</span>
<ol type="a">
<li><span class="INFO">to see about changing the channel operators on
the #mahara-dev IRC room, and running his own copy of meetbot</span>
<span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-20'>aarowlaptop</a>,
08:05:21)</span></li>
<li><span class="INFO">dajan - Dominique-Alain Jan coordinator of the
francophone community</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-23'>dajan</a>,
08:06:47)</span></li>
<li><i class="itemtype">ACTION</i>: <span class="ACTION">Aaron to see
about changing the channel operators on the #mahara-dev IRC
room</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-24'>aarowlaptop</a>,
08:07:12)</span></li>
<li><span class="INFO">anzeljg is Gregor Anzelj, translator &amp;
developer from Ljubljana, Slovenia</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-36'>anzeljg</a>,
08:09:25)</span></li>
</ol>
<br></li>
<li><b class="TOPIC">Aaron to discuss switching to "asynchronous meetings"</b> <span class="details">(<a href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-39'>aarowlaptop</a>, 08:10:22)</span>
<ol type="a">
<li><span class="INFO">kabalin is Ruslan Kabalin, Lancaster
University, Lancaster, UK</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-42'>rkabalin</a>,
08:11:05)</span></li>
<li><span class="INFO">Keep developer meetings synchronously in
irc.</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-54'>anitsirk</a>,
08:14:00)</span></li>
<li><i class="itemtype">IDEA</i>: <span class="IDEA">Should we make
the meetings less developer-focused?</span> <span
class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-72'>aarowlaptop</a>,
08:18:20)</span></li>
<li><i class="itemtype">IDEA</i>: <span class="IDEA">one or two
meetings a year where the focus is brainstorming new features</span>
<span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-89'>dajan</a>,
08:23:09)</span></li>
<li><i class="itemtype">IDEA</i>: <span class="IDEA">Occasional dev
meetings that use Google Hangouts or BBB or other webinar software,
rather than just IRC</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-105'>aarowlaptop</a>,
08:25:40)</span></li>
</ol>
<br></li>
<li><b class="TOPIC">Dajan improvements to the Mahara admin interface for installing/deleting plugins</b> <span class="details">(<a href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-118'>aarowlaptop</a>, 08:28:08)</span>
<ol type="a">
<li><a href="added">added</a> to
https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Current_Tasks <span
class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-128'>anitsirk</a>,
08:30:39)</span></li>
<li><span class="INFO">dajan negotiating funding for the development
work to get Patrick Pollet's CAS plugin into core</span> <span
class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-136'>aarowlaptop</a>,
08:32:46)</span></li>
<li><a href="CAS">CAS</a> plugin
https://github.com/patrickpollet/mahara_plugin_auth_cas <span
class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-138'>aarowlaptop</a>,
08:33:20)</span></li>
</ol>
<br></li>
<li><b class="TOPIC">Aaron: Exceptional cases when an approved code reviewer may push code directly without another reviewer looking at it</b> <span class="details">(<a href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-140'>aarowlaptop</a>, 08:34:04)</span>
<ol type="a">
<li><span class="INFO">1. Cherry-picking of already approved commits,
that touch relatively few lines of code, to other supported branches
(if the cherry-pick applies cleanly)</span> <span
class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-152'>aarowlaptop</a>,
08:38:33)</span></li>
<li><span class="INFO">2. Patches that only make changes to comments
or documentation files but do not touch executable Mahara
code</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-153'>aarowlaptop</a>,
08:39:05)</span></li>
<li><span class="INFO">3. (Possibly) changes to development tools,
like the pre-commit hooks and Makefiles</span> <span
class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-154'>aarowlaptop</a>,
08:40:02)</span></li>
<li><span class="INFO">4. Patches to revert already-approved patches
which have caused major regressions</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-156'>aarowlaptop</a>,
08:40:47)</span></li>
<li><span class="INFO">In the case of Item 1, the cherry-picked
patches should be verified (this can be by the dev who is pushing
them)</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-166'>aarowlaptop</a>,
08:46:58)</span></li>
<li><i class="itemtype">AGREED</i>: <span class="AGREED"></span> <span
class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-214'>aarowlaptop</a>,
09:03:39)</span></li>
<li><i class="itemtype">AGREED</i>: <span class="AGREED">: +2
Reviewers can commit things without getting review from others in
the following scenarios: cherry-picking already-reviewed, cleanly
applied, patches from one branch to another (though they should
verify them on the target branch); changes to non-code files and to
comments; Reverts to already-approved patches that caused major
regressions</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-218'>aarowlaptop</a>,
09:06:04)</span></li>
</ol>
<br></li>
<li><b class="TOPIC">Update on the 1.8 release (Kristina)</b> <span class="details">(<a href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-220'>aarowlaptop</a>, 09:07:01)</span>
<ol type="a">
<li><span class="INFO">Mahara 1.8 will have a lot of new features and
lots of new Javascript that can cause a number of regressions and
sticky points. Anyone who is interested in testing even only one
feature or a work flow would be adding a lot of value to making the
stable release a good one.</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-229'>anitsirk</a>,
09:12:24)</span></li>
</ol>
<br></li>
<li><b class="TOPIC">Deciding the time and chair for the next meeting</b> <span class="details">(<a href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-249'>aarowlaptop</a>, 09:19:09)</span>
<ol type="a">
<li><i class="itemtype">AGREED</i>: <span class="AGREED">The next dev
meeting will be on 3 Oct, 8pm UTC</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-291'>aarowlaptop</a>,
09:26:25)</span></li>
<li><a
href="http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20131003T20&amp;p1=1440">http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20131003T20&amp;p1=1440</a>
<span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-292'>aarowlaptop</a>,
09:26:27)</span></li>
<li><i class="itemtype">ACTION</i>: <span class="ACTION">Ruslan to
chair the next dev meeting</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-297'>aarowlaptop</a>,
09:27:09)</span></li>
</ol>
<br></li>
<li><b class="TOPIC">Any other business?</b> <span class="details">(<a href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-305'>aarowlaptop</a>, 09:28:11)</span>
<ol type="a">
<li><a
href="https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Talk:Developer_Area/Coding_guidelines">https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Talk:Developer_Area/Coding_guidelines</a>
<span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-318'>rkabalin</a>,
09:29:33)</span></li>
<li><span class="INFO">the coding guidelines require updating</span>
<span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-319'>anitsirk</a>,
09:29:40)</span></li>
<li><i class="itemtype">IDEA</i>: <span class="IDEA">rkabalin outlined
changes at
https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Talk:Developer_Area/Coding_guidelines</span>
<span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-321'>anitsirk</a>,
09:29:56)</span></li>
<li><span class="INFO">Gregor has completed a profile completeness
block</span> <span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-370'>aarowlaptop</a>,
09:44:16)</span></li>
<li><a
href="https://twitter.com/anzeljg/status/375481998074068992/photo/1">https://twitter.com/anzeljg/status/375481998074068992/photo/1</a>
<span class="details">(<a
href='mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html#l-372'>aarowlaptop</a>,
09:44:27)</span></li>
</ol>
</li>
</ol>
<br><br>
<span class="details">
Meeting ended at 09:51:47 UTC
(<a href="mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html">full logs</a>).</span>
<br><br>
<h3>Action items</h3>
<ol>
<li>Aaron to see about changing the channel operators on the #mahara-dev IRC room</li>
<li>Ruslan to chair the next dev meeting</li>
</ol>
<br><br>
<h3>People present (lines said)</h3>
<ol>
<li>aarowlaptop (130)</li>
<li>anitsirk (94)</li>
<li>dajan (40)</li>
<li>anzeljg (34)</li>
<li>rkabalin (33)</li>
<li>dobedobedoh (30)</li>
<li>robertl_ (25)</li>
<li>sonn_ (10)</li>
<li>iarenaza (3)</li>
<li>maharameet (3)</li>
</ol>
<br><br>
<span class="details">Generated by <a href="http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot">MeetBot</a> 0.1.4.</span>
</body></html>
===================
#mahara-dev Meeting
===================
Meeting started by aarowlaptop at 08:01:15 UTC. The full logs are
available at
http://meetbot.mahara.org/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html
.
Meeting summary
---------------
* anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner, Catalyst IT, Wellington, NZ (anitsirk,
08:01:49)
* aarowlaptop is Aaron Wells at Catalyst IT in Wellington, NZ
(aarowlaptop, 08:02:03)
* robertl_ is Robert Lyon, Catalyst IT in Wellington, NZ (robertl_,
08:02:30)
* dobedobedoh is Andrew Nicols at Lancaster University, UK (just)
(dobedobedoh, 08:02:47)
* sonn_ is Son Nguyen at Catalyst IT in Wellington, NZ (sonn_,
08:02:55)
* Items from last meeting (aarowlaptop, 08:04:44)
* to see about changing the channel operators on the #mahara-dev IRC
room, and running his own copy of meetbot (aarowlaptop, 08:05:21)
* dajan - Dominique-Alain Jan coordinator of the francophone community
(dajan, 08:06:47)
* ACTION: Aaron to see about changing the channel operators on the
#mahara-dev IRC room (aarowlaptop, 08:07:12)
* anzeljg is Gregor Anzelj, translator & developer from Ljubljana,
Slovenia (anzeljg, 08:09:25)
* Aaron to discuss switching to "asynchronous meetings" (aarowlaptop,
08:10:22)
* kabalin is Ruslan Kabalin, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK
(rkabalin, 08:11:05)
* Keep developer meetings synchronously in irc. (anitsirk, 08:14:00)
* IDEA: Should we make the meetings less developer-focused?
(aarowlaptop, 08:18:20)
* IDEA: one or two meetings a year where the focus is brainstorming
new features (dajan, 08:23:09)
* IDEA: Occasional dev meetings that use Google Hangouts or BBB or
other webinar software, rather than just IRC (aarowlaptop,
08:25:40)
* Dajan improvements to the Mahara admin interface for
installing/deleting plugins (aarowlaptop, 08:28:08)
* LINK: added to
https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Current_Tasks
(anitsirk, 08:30:39)
* dajan negotiating funding for the development work to get Patrick
Pollet's CAS plugin into core (aarowlaptop, 08:32:46)
* LINK: CAS plugin
https://github.com/patrickpollet/mahara_plugin_auth_cas
(aarowlaptop, 08:33:20)
* Aaron: Exceptional cases when an approved code reviewer may push code
directly without another reviewer looking at it (aarowlaptop,
08:34:04)
* 1. Cherry-picking of already approved commits, that touch relatively
few lines of code, to other supported branches (if the cherry-pick
applies cleanly) (aarowlaptop, 08:38:33)
* 2. Patches that only make changes to comments or documentation files
but do not touch executable Mahara code (aarowlaptop, 08:39:05)
* 3. (Possibly) changes to development tools, like the pre-commit
hooks and Makefiles (aarowlaptop, 08:40:02)
* 4. Patches to revert already-approved patches which have caused
major regressions (aarowlaptop, 08:40:47)
* In the case of Item 1, the cherry-picked patches should be verified
(this can be by the dev who is pushing them) (aarowlaptop,
08:46:58)
* AGREED: (aarowlaptop, 09:03:39)
* AGREED: : +2 Reviewers can commit things without getting review from
others in the following scenarios: cherry-picking already-reviewed,
cleanly applied, patches from one branch to another (though they
should verify them on the target branch); changes to non-code files
and to comments; Reverts to already-approved patches that caused
major regressions (aarowlaptop, 09:06:04)
* Update on the 1.8 release (Kristina) (aarowlaptop, 09:07:01)
* Mahara 1.8 will have a lot of new features and lots of new
Javascript that can cause a number of regressions and sticky points.
Anyone who is interested in testing even only one feature or a work
flow would be adding a lot of value to making the stable release a
good one. (anitsirk, 09:12:24)
* Deciding the time and chair for the next meeting (aarowlaptop,
09:19:09)
* AGREED: The next dev meeting will be on 3 Oct, 8pm UTC
(aarowlaptop, 09:26:25)
* LINK:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20131003T20&p1=1440
(aarowlaptop, 09:26:27)
* ACTION: Ruslan to chair the next dev meeting (aarowlaptop,
09:27:09)
* Any other business? (aarowlaptop, 09:28:11)
* LINK:
https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Talk:Developer_Area/Coding_guidelines
(rkabalin, 09:29:33)
* the coding guidelines require updating (anitsirk, 09:29:40)
* IDEA: rkabalin outlined changes at
https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Talk:Developer_Area/Coding_guidelines
(anitsirk, 09:29:56)
* Gregor has completed a profile completeness block (aarowlaptop,
09:44:16)
* LINK: https://twitter.com/anzeljg/status/375481998074068992/photo/1
(aarowlaptop, 09:44:27)
Meeting ended at 09:51:47 UTC.
Action Items
------------
* Aaron to see about changing the channel operators on the #mahara-dev
IRC room
* Ruslan to chair the next dev meeting
Action Items, by person
-----------------------
* **UNASSIGNED**
* Aaron to see about changing the channel operators on the #mahara-dev
IRC room
* Ruslan to chair the next dev meeting
People Present (lines said)
---------------------------
* aarowlaptop (130)
* anitsirk (94)
* dajan (40)
* anzeljg (34)
* rkabalin (33)
* dobedobedoh (30)
* robertl_ (25)
* sonn_ (10)
* iarenaza (3)
* maharameet (3)
Generated by `MeetBot`_ 0.1.4
.. _`MeetBot`: http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot
Markdown is supported
0% or .
You are about to add 0 people to the discussion. Proceed with caution.
Finish editing this message first!
Please register or to comment