diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.html b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.html new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..26828e4104cb75b525f27da92f811e5170329610 --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.html @@ -0,0 +1,287 @@ + + + + +#mahara-dev Meeting + + + + +

#mahara-dev Meeting

+ +Meeting started by aarowlaptop at 08:01:15 UTC +(full logs). + +

+ + + +

Meeting summary

+
    +
  1. +
      +
    1. anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner, Catalyst IT, + Wellington, NZ (anitsirk, + 08:01:49)
    2. +
    3. aarowlaptop is Aaron Wells at Catalyst IT in + Wellington, NZ (aarowlaptop, + 08:02:03)
    4. +
    5. robertl_ is Robert Lyon, Catalyst IT in + Wellington, NZ (robertl_, + 08:02:30)
    6. +
    7. dobedobedoh is Andrew Nicols at Lancaster + University, UK (just) (dobedobedoh, + 08:02:47)
    8. +
    9. sonn_ is Son Nguyen at Catalyst IT in + Wellington, NZ (sonn_, + 08:02:55)
    10. +
    +
  2. +
  3. Items from last meeting (aarowlaptop, 08:04:44) +
      +
    1. to see about changing the channel operators on + the #mahara-dev IRC room, and running his own copy of meetbot + (aarowlaptop, + 08:05:21)
    2. +
    3. dajan - Dominique-Alain Jan coordinator of the + francophone community (dajan, + 08:06:47)
    4. +
    5. ACTION: Aaron to see + about changing the channel operators on the #mahara-dev IRC + room (aarowlaptop, + 08:07:12)
    6. +
    7. anzeljg is Gregor Anzelj, translator & + developer from Ljubljana, Slovenia (anzeljg, + 08:09:25)
    8. +
    +
  4. +
  5. Aaron to discuss switching to "asynchronous meetings" (aarowlaptop, 08:10:22) +
      +
    1. kabalin is Ruslan Kabalin, Lancaster + University, Lancaster, UK (rkabalin, + 08:11:05)
    2. +
    3. Keep developer meetings synchronously in + irc. (anitsirk, + 08:14:00)
    4. +
    5. IDEA: Should we make + the meetings less developer-focused? (aarowlaptop, + 08:18:20)
    6. +
    7. IDEA: one or two + meetings a year where the focus is brainstorming new features + (dajan, + 08:23:09)
    8. +
    9. IDEA: Occasional dev + meetings that use Google Hangouts or BBB or other webinar software, + rather than just IRC (aarowlaptop, + 08:25:40)
    10. +
    +
  6. +
  7. Dajan improvements to the Mahara admin interface for installing/deleting plugins (aarowlaptop, 08:28:08) +
      +
    1. added to + https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Current_Tasks (anitsirk, + 08:30:39)
    2. +
    3. dajan negotiating funding for the development + work to get Patrick Pollet's CAS plugin into core (aarowlaptop, + 08:32:46)
    4. +
    5. CAS plugin + https://github.com/patrickpollet/mahara_plugin_auth_cas (aarowlaptop, + 08:33:20)
    6. +
    +
  8. +
  9. Aaron: Exceptional cases when an approved code reviewer may push code directly without another reviewer looking at it (aarowlaptop, 08:34:04) +
      +
    1. 1. Cherry-picking of already approved commits, + that touch relatively few lines of code, to other supported branches + (if the cherry-pick applies cleanly) (aarowlaptop, + 08:38:33)
    2. +
    3. 2. Patches that only make changes to comments + or documentation files but do not touch executable Mahara + code (aarowlaptop, + 08:39:05)
    4. +
    5. 3. (Possibly) changes to development tools, + like the pre-commit hooks and Makefiles (aarowlaptop, + 08:40:02)
    6. +
    7. 4. Patches to revert already-approved patches + which have caused major regressions (aarowlaptop, + 08:40:47)
    8. +
    9. In the case of Item 1, the cherry-picked + patches should be verified (this can be by the dev who is pushing + them) (aarowlaptop, + 08:46:58)
    10. +
    11. AGREED: (aarowlaptop, + 09:03:39)
    12. +
    13. AGREED: : +2 + Reviewers can commit things without getting review from others in + the following scenarios: cherry-picking already-reviewed, cleanly + applied, patches from one branch to another (though they should + verify them on the target branch); changes to non-code files and to + comments; Reverts to already-approved patches that caused major + regressions (aarowlaptop, + 09:06:04)
    14. +
    +
  10. +
  11. Update on the 1.8 release (Kristina) (aarowlaptop, 09:07:01) +
      +
    1. Mahara 1.8 will have a lot of new features and + lots of new Javascript that can cause a number of regressions and + sticky points. Anyone who is interested in testing even only one + feature or a work flow would be adding a lot of value to making the + stable release a good one. (anitsirk, + 09:12:24)
    2. +
    +
  12. +
  13. Deciding the time and chair for the next meeting (aarowlaptop, 09:19:09) +
      +
    1. AGREED: The next dev + meeting will be on 3 Oct, 8pm UTC (aarowlaptop, + 09:26:25)
    2. +
    3. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20131003T20&p1=1440 + (aarowlaptop, + 09:26:27)
    4. +
    5. ACTION: Ruslan to + chair the next dev meeting (aarowlaptop, + 09:27:09)
    6. +
    +
  14. +
  15. Any other business? (aarowlaptop, 09:28:11) +
      +
    1. https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Talk:Developer_Area/Coding_guidelines + (rkabalin, + 09:29:33)
    2. +
    3. the coding guidelines require updating + (anitsirk, + 09:29:40)
    4. +
    5. IDEA: rkabalin outlined + changes at + https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Talk:Developer_Area/Coding_guidelines + (anitsirk, + 09:29:56)
    6. +
    7. Gregor has completed a profile completeness + block (aarowlaptop, + 09:44:16)
    8. +
    9. https://twitter.com/anzeljg/status/375481998074068992/photo/1 + (aarowlaptop, + 09:44:27)
    10. +
    +
  16. +
+

+ + + + +Meeting ended at 09:51:47 UTC +(full logs). + +

+ + + +

Action items

+
    +
  1. Aaron to see about changing the channel operators on the #mahara-dev IRC room
  2. +
  3. Ruslan to chair the next dev meeting
  4. +
+

+ + + +

People present (lines said)

+
    +
  1. aarowlaptop (130)
  2. +
  3. anitsirk (94)
  4. +
  5. dajan (40)
  6. +
  7. anzeljg (34)
  8. +
  9. rkabalin (33)
  10. +
  11. dobedobedoh (30)
  12. +
  13. robertl_ (25)
  14. +
  15. sonn_ (10)
  16. +
  17. iarenaza (3)
  18. +
  19. maharameet (3)
  20. +
+

+ + + +Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4. + diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..f4d756af747254bec81d8b3886cf93abbbdb3ac9 --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html @@ -0,0 +1,429 @@ + + + + +#mahara-dev log + + + + +
08:01:15 <aarowlaptop> #startmeeting
+08:01:15 <maharameet> Meeting started Thu Sep  5 08:01:15 2013 UTC.  The chair is aarowlaptop. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
+08:01:15 <maharameet> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
+08:01:31 <aarowlaptop> Greetings one and all, welcome to the 27th Mahara dev meeting
+08:01:42 <aarowlaptop> Please introduce yourself using the #info tag
+08:01:49 <anitsirk> #info anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner, Catalyst IT, Wellington, NZ
+08:02:03 <aarowlaptop> #info aarowlaptop is Aaron Wells at Catalyst IT in Wellington, NZ
+08:02:30 <robertl_> #info robertl_ is Robert Lyon, Catalyst IT in Wellington, NZ
+08:02:47 <dobedobedoh> #info dobedobedoh is Andrew Nicols at Lancaster University, UK (just)
+08:02:55 <sonn_> #info sonn_ is Son Nguyen at Catalyst IT in Wellington, NZ
+08:03:21 <anitsirk> hi dobedobedoh. had feared we'd not have one of you guys here.
+08:03:38 <dobedobedoh> I won't be so helpful for channel ops - I'll be in Perth in 3 weeks
+08:03:52 <anitsirk> to visit or to stay?
+08:04:06 <dobedobedoh> I'm moving to Perth to work for Moodle HQ
+08:04:21 <anitsirk> congrats! i can visit you then in january during lca 2014 :-)
+08:04:29 <dobedobedoh> cool :)
+08:04:39 <aarowlaptop> Well, let's proceed
+08:04:40 <anitsirk> i.e. you could come to the conference as well...
+08:04:44 <aarowlaptop> #topic Items from last meeting
+08:05:21 <aarowlaptop> #info to see about changing the channel operators on the #mahara-dev IRC room, and running his own copy of meetbot
+08:05:34 <aarowlaptop> I have not done either of those :)
+08:06:21 <aarowlaptop> But now that I know that dobedobedoh runs the meetbot, I at least know to check with him a day or so before a meeting to make sure it's up and running
+08:06:47 <dajan> #info dajan - Dominique-Alain Jan coordinator of the francophone community
+08:07:12 <aarowlaptop> #action Aaron to see about changing the channel operators on the #mahara-dev IRC room
+08:07:19 <anitsirk> hi dajan
+08:07:20 <aarowlaptop> I'll try to get that done before the next meeting
+08:07:23 <aarowlaptop> Hi dajan!
+08:07:33 <sonn_> Hi dajan
+08:07:36 <anzeljg> hi
+08:07:45 <dajan> congratulation dobedobedoh
+08:07:52 <dajan> Hi to all
+08:08:04 <anitsirk> dobedobedoh and i chatted a bit whether i could change the chanops, but since i moved to bip, i had trouble getting my nick password and the one i think i have won't be taken. sorry that i can't help. :-(
+08:08:19 <anitsirk> hi anzeljg. great that you could make it.
+08:08:51 <anzeljg> anitsirk hi ;)
+08:08:53 <aarowlaptop> Hi anzeljg, can you introduce yourself with #info for the record? :)
+08:09:25 <anzeljg> #info anzeljg is Gregor Anzelj, translator & developer from Ljubljana, Slovenia
+08:09:37 <aarowlaptop> thanks
+08:10:07 <aarowlaptop> okay, next topic
+08:10:22 <aarowlaptop> #topic Aaron to discuss switching to "asynchronous meetings"
+08:10:59 <dajan> As suggested I have revamp the Developer Area/Developer Meetings page on the wiki, to have the last dev meeting first. ½ hour of happy copy paste.
+08:11:00 <aarowlaptop> It was just something I was wondering about, because it seemed the turnout had been pretty low the past few dev meetings, whether we should continue with them. Although, now that I'm looking through the historical minutes I can see that we're more or less within the average
+08:11:05 <rkabalin> #info kabalin is Ruslan Kabalin, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK
+08:11:15 <aarowlaptop> oh, that's who did that, thanks dajan
+08:11:16 <dajan> Hi Ruslan
+08:11:20 <dajan> Hi Greg
+08:11:33 <sonn_> Hi Ruslan
+08:12:42 <rkabalin> Hi everyone, sorry for being late :)
+08:13:01 <anitsirk> aarowlaptop: do you still suggest moving to asynchronous meetings then or see how it goes?
+08:13:02 <aarowlaptop> So anyhow, I think we're fine continuing with the IRC dev meetings as before
+08:13:11 <aarowlaptop> I think we can keep with the status quo
+08:13:22 <robertl_> that sounds good to me
+08:13:42 <dobedobedoh> We could reduce the frequency to 6 weekly?
+08:13:47 <aarowlaptop> we perhaps just need to be more assiduous about getting them regularly scheduled, and getting the announcements out
+08:14:00 <anitsirk> #info Keep developer meetings synchronously in irc.
+08:14:01 <dobedobedoh> I only remembered today because I saw anitsirk 's tweet
+08:14:19 <anzeljg> 6 weekly sounds fine. and announcements would be much apreciated...
+08:14:39 <dajan> Maybe advertising them on a wider scale with other tools (e.g. twitter, G+,…)
+08:14:43 <aarowlaptop> it's too bad Mahara doesn't have an event calendar to send out reminder emails
+08:14:48 <anitsirk> normally, a reminder is sent the week before and then the day before. we missed this this time due to lots of work. sorry about that.
+08:15:03 <anitsirk> dajan: i always tweet about them.
+08:15:14 <dajan> Sorry.
+08:16:10 <anitsirk> and if i remember i also put an announcement in the mahara user group on FB. not this time because most people there are in the usa fast asleep when we made the announcement.
+08:16:36 <aarowlaptop> they're just not dedicated enough ;)
+08:16:41 <dajan> On my side I will advertise more about them to french dev in Switzerland, France and Canada. I have to put this in my calendar and do it.
+08:16:52 <anitsirk> cool.
+08:17:38 <anitsirk> aarowlaptop: wanna move on to the next topic?
+08:17:44 <aarowlaptop> I was just about to suggest that
+08:17:45 <dobedobedoh> We ahve FB?
+08:18:00 <dobedobedoh> Should we make the meetings less developer-focused?
+08:18:04 <aarowlaptop> Do we have an official Facebook feed?
+08:18:19 <anitsirk> dobedobedoh: there are a few FB groups / pages: mahara user group, the maharamoot de and the mahara page now as well. then there is the moodle-mahara meetup (down under)
+08:18:20 <aarowlaptop> #idea Should we make the meetings less developer-focused?
+08:18:45 <aarowlaptop> and there's the LinkedIn page too, right?
+08:18:45 <anitsirk> the mahara user group has infrequent meetings in a webinar setting.
+08:18:53 <anitsirk> yep. linkedin, too.
+08:19:06 <aarowlaptop> what do they talk about at the Mahara User Group?
+08:19:20 <dajan> Aaron, I don't think so. The forums on Mahara.org are already here for users. I don't think that IRC is something "lambda" users will engage, really.
+08:19:33 <anitsirk> in the beginning, we wanted to have the dev meetings dev focused so that you devs could talk about tricky tech questions. but i guess that hasn't happened much.
+08:20:25 <aarowlaptop> We do occasionally use them to discuss what direction we should go with the API's and stuff
+08:20:28 <anitsirk> aarowlaptop: primarily implementation at institutions, examples, last year we had a student showcase; new features, potential collaborations (only started)
+08:20:35 <aarowlaptop> but it does seem to mostly be about discussing community rules
+08:20:50 <aarowlaptop> and community infrastructure
+08:21:33 <aarowlaptop> I agree with dajan, though, end-users don't really use IRC
+08:21:36 <anitsirk> the meetings are open for anyone to join. same with the MUG meetings
+08:21:53 <robertl_> could there be say one or two meetings a year where the focus is brainstorming new features?
+08:22:20 <robertl_> where all the focus is to bring new ideas to the meeting?
+08:22:25 <anzeljg> great idea!
+08:22:27 <dajan> Interesting, Robert, +1
+08:23:09 <dajan> #idea one or two meetings a year where the focus is brainstorming new features
+08:23:18 <dobedobedoh> Perhaps we could also do the occasional hangout?
+08:23:28 <anitsirk> you mean as in google?
+08:23:30 <dobedobedoh> anitsirk: yup
+08:23:42 <dajan> Kirisina is not very keen of using G+
+08:23:57 <aarowlaptop> and I don't actually have a webcam ;)
+08:23:57 <dobedobedoh> Okay then, bbb
+08:23:58 <dajan> I respect this
+08:24:00 <anitsirk> it's a bit limiting because you need to have a G+ account - it excludes people more than irc does i think.
+08:24:27 <anitsirk> bbb is a good idea :-) would need to do a bit of testing the connectino beforehand but that would be good to use
+08:24:29 <aarowlaptop> Well, I think more people probably have Gmail or G+ accounts, than know how to use IRC
+08:24:39 <anitsirk> we do have an instance to test with.
+08:24:46 <dobedobedoh> I just wonder whether once in a while, it would be helpful to meet people a little more in the flesh
+08:24:59 <anitsirk> yep.
+08:25:08 <aarowlaptop> I do see that, meeting people "in person", as one of the main goods of the dev meetings, actually
+08:25:11 <anitsirk> that's what the mug meetings do. they use webinar software.
+08:25:40 <aarowlaptop> #idea Occasional dev meetings that use Google Hangouts or BBB or other webinar software, rather than just IRC
+08:26:22 <aarowlaptop> okay, let's move on to the next topic :)
+08:26:23 <dobedobedoh> aarowlaptop: Can you add robertl_ 's idea about a different focus for some meetings?
+08:26:37 <anitsirk> dajan: you already did that
+08:26:38 <dajan> So lets organise the next dev meeting in NZ. I offer the beers.
+08:26:40 <aarowlaptop> dajan got that one already :)
+08:26:50 <dobedobedoh> ah okay, sorry.
+08:27:02 <dobedobedoh> I'm game. Wellington isn't so far from Perth in the grand scheme of things
+08:27:02 <aarowlaptop> well yeah, free beer for anyone who attends a dev meeting in New Zealand, that's a given. ;)
+08:27:18 <robertl_> indeed it would be
+08:27:28 <dobedobedoh> I can confirm the presence of free beer at such meetings I have attended
+08:27:28 <aarowlaptop> free virtual beer for those abroad
+08:28:01 <dobedobedoh> ANyway, moving on ;)
+08:28:08 <aarowlaptop> #topic Dajan improvements to the Mahara admin interface for installing/deleting plugins
+08:29:03 <dajan> Yes. I was on it. But I had to use my time to focus on the CAS development. So this task is on hold at that time. I will work on it in October.
+08:29:34 <aarowlaptop> #action Dajan to discuss improvements to the Mahara admin interface for installing/deleting plugins
+08:29:36 <anitsirk> aarowlaptop: instead of making this an action item, we should add it to the todo list on the wiki. i'll find the page
+08:29:40 <aarowlaptop> #undo
+08:29:40 <maharameet> Removing item from minutes: <MeetBot.items.Action object at 0x2c3e310>
+08:29:47 <dajan> About CAS, I am negotiating with the University of Troyes and Strasbourg to find the needed funding to develop and put CAS in core.
+08:29:54 <aarowlaptop> excellent
+08:30:22 <anzeljg> what is CAS if I may ask?
+08:30:34 <aarowlaptop> It's a SSO standard
+08:30:39 <anitsirk> #link added to https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Current_Tasks
+08:30:44 <aarowlaptop> There's a third-party plugin for it in Mahara currently
+08:30:55 <dajan> I will come back to you soon to discuss about cost/blue print, etc. But it takes time to meet all the people who can decide about money in France….
+08:31:08 <aarowlaptop> by Patrick Pollet https://github.com/patrickpollet/mahara_plugin_auth_cas
+08:31:36 <dajan> Yes. the third-party is Pollet's one. And it would be used as dev basis, I think.
+08:31:58 <dajan> More detail about CAS later this month, I hope
+08:32:03 <aarowlaptop> Yep, as we discussed when dajan was visiting here, it's about 90% of the way there
+08:32:10 <anitsirk> fantastic
+08:32:46 <aarowlaptop> #info dajan negotiating funding for the development work to get Patrick Pollet's CAS plugin into core
+08:32:49 <dajan> Both universities agreed to pay for it… So just the time to finalise the blue print...
+08:33:20 <aarowlaptop> #link CAS plugin https://github.com/patrickpollet/mahara_plugin_auth_cas
+08:33:54 <aarowlaptop> Okay, I think we can move on the next topic then
+08:34:04 <aarowlaptop> #topic Aaron: Exceptional cases when an approved code reviewer may push code directly without another reviewer looking at it
+08:34:53 <anitsirk> oh hi iarenaza :-)
+08:35:12 <iarenaza> hi, just show your tweet about the meeting :-)
+08:35:13 <dajan> Hi iarenaza
+08:36:05 <iarenaza> I'm not much into Mahara devel these days but I thought I could pass by and have a peek
+08:36:11 <iarenaza> :-)
+08:36:18 <robertl_> aaron, there would need to be some solid guidelines around this otherwise it could get messy
+08:36:18 <anitsirk> you are always welcome, iarenaza
+08:36:40 <aarowlaptop> correct, robertl_, back to the topic ;)
+08:37:02 <anzeljg> iarenaza hi
+08:37:51 <aarowlaptop> I've been admittedly cutting corners on the review process, occasionally pushing certain types of commits without getting a +2 on them from another reviewer in gerrit. Kristina thought it would be a good idea to go over this in the dev meeting.
+08:37:57 <aarowlaptop> The situations would be:
+08:38:33 <aarowlaptop> #info 1. Cherry-picking of already approved commits, that touch relatively few lines of code, to other supported branches (if the cherry-pick applies cleanly)
+08:39:05 <aarowlaptop> #info 2. Patches that only make changes to comments or documentation files but do not touch executable Mahara code
+08:40:02 <aarowlaptop> #info 3. (Possibly) changes to development tools, like the pre-commit hooks and Makefiles
+08:40:03 <rkabalin> those two sounds good to me
+08:40:47 <aarowlaptop> #info 4. Patches to revert already-approved patches which have caused major regressions
+08:41:02 <aarowlaptop> So, those would be the four situations
+08:42:16 <robertl_> with point 1. would the few lines that change need to be all in the one file or can it be across multiple files?
+08:42:19 <anitsirk> I'm not an approved reviewer, but they sound ok to me because they are not pushing new bug fixes or new features through without someone else having looked at them first.
+08:43:27 <aarowlaptop> I'd say across multiple files is fine. In practice, since we're only supposed to backport bug fixes and security fixes to the stable branches, not new features, the patches that are being cherry-picked to them will usually be pretty small anyway
+08:44:13 <anitsirk> should "relatively few lines" be defined a bit more closely then as "relatively" is very interpretable?
+08:44:14 <aarowlaptop> Though admittedly, item #1 there is the riskiest of them. Even when something applies cleanly, there's always the possibility that it will cause problems.
+08:44:53 <anitsirk> we could add that the dev needs to verify it for sure and not only apply the patch.
+08:45:15 <aarowlaptop> No, I think it'd be best to leave it up to just developer judgement as to what is "minor" versus "major".
+08:46:24 <aarowlaptop> I think that's fair, every patch should be verified, even if it's just by the dev who pushes it
+08:46:58 <aarowlaptop> #info In the case of Item 1, the cherry-picked patches should be verified (this can be by the dev who is pushing them)
+08:47:02 <rkabalin> I agree re dev judgement
+08:47:34 <anitsirk> does anyone not agree with any of the suggestions?
+08:47:53 <aarowlaptop> Actually I'm thinking of rescinding #3, about the dev tools :)
+08:48:35 <rkabalin> #agree
+08:48:41 <aarowlaptop> but other than that, I agree with #s 1, 2, and 4
+08:49:29 <rkabalin> I agree with all of them, given that developer may decide on his/her own whether verification is required
+08:49:30 <sonn_> #agreed
+08:49:57 <sonn_> with all of them
+08:50:03 <anitsirk> since we have 5 approved devs in the room, well 5 if robertl omes back, we can put it forward to vote on and make it a guideline.
+08:50:15 <anitsirk> sonn_: 1,2 and 4 or 1, 2, 3 and 4?
+08:50:40 <dajan> I agree
+08:50:54 <anitsirk> rkabalin: i think verification would be required for all of them, esp. #1 at least a smoketest.
+08:51:14 <sonn_> I agree with all of them 1, 2, 3, and 4
+08:51:20 <dobedobedoh> 1,2,5 for me
+08:51:27 <dobedobedoh> 1,2,4 even
+08:51:36 <anitsirk> what's #5, dobedobedoh ?
+08:52:10 <aarowlaptop> I believe that's a typo ;)
+08:52:13 <dobedobedoh> 5 = anything minor against code which is unit tested and causes no regressions ;)
+08:52:31 * dobedobedoh adds things to the mix
+08:52:34 <anitsirk> do we have anything like that?
+08:52:41 <dobedobedoh> We have a unit testing framework, but no tests
+08:52:47 <aarowlaptop> lol
+08:52:56 <dobedobedoh> We could do with some tests (please)
+08:52:56 <aarowlaptop> well, it's a start
+08:53:11 <anitsirk> it's on the backlog https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Current_Tasks
+08:53:14 <dobedobedoh> I havent' checked it still works, but phpunit is there ish
+08:53:26 <anitsirk> welcome back, robertl_
+08:53:39 <dobedobedoh> But, in reality, my preference is really only #5, but since we don't have that yet, 1,2,4 will suffice
+08:53:44 <robertl_> had to reset router, sorry bout that
+08:53:52 <dobedobedoh> Sorry, 4 and 5 maybe
+08:54:49 <aarowlaptop> So what do you say, robertl? cherry-picks, non-code changes, and emergency reverts?
+08:54:51 <anitsirk> dobedobedoh: wouldn't we then actually also need automated functional testing?
+08:55:43 <robertl_> cherry-picks that merge cleanly sound fine and non code changes
+08:55:58 <anitsirk> i've counted a couple that were in favor of #3 as well. so it might be easiest to look at each item individually and tally the agrees
+08:56:07 <robertl_> emergency reverts in some situations will be fine
+08:56:15 <dobedobedoh> anitsirk: yes
+08:56:38 <anitsirk> dobedobedoh: yes to what? my last or second last line? :-)
+08:57:00 <anitsirk> or both?
+08:57:06 <dobedobedoh> anitsirk: yes to automated functional testing
+08:57:13 <dobedobedoh> but also yes to tally
+08:58:40 <anitsirk> aarowlaptop: do you want to do the tallying? you have the power to give the final numbers as chair and use the #agreed (if i remember correctly)
+08:58:50 <aarowlaptop> please do, anitsirk
+09:00:02 <anitsirk> so it's only approved reviewer's that are counted, right?
+09:00:53 <aarowlaptop> I don't really know if we have a rule about these things, to be honest
+09:02:20 <anitsirk> i only know that approved reviewers can vote others to become approved, but don't remember that we had a situation like this here.
+09:03:04 <aarowlaptop> Looking back at the minutes, we have three devs voting for my new proposal of #124, and two devs voting for #1234. I think it'd be fair to say that numbers #124 are approved, because they have 5/5 approval, while #3 is not approved at this time because it only has 2/5
+09:03:34 <dobedobedoh> #agree
+09:03:39 <aarowlaptop> #agreed
+09:04:02 <anitsirk> with #1 caveat of verification by the dev
+09:04:52 <anitsirk> but other than that, that was also my count.
+09:05:34 <anitsirk> sonn_, robertl_, rkabalin: do you want to add anything?
+09:06:04 <aarowlaptop> #agreed: +2 Reviewers can commit things without getting review from others in the following scenarios: cherry-picking already-reviewed, cleanly applied, patches from one branch to another (though they should verify them on the target branch); changes to non-code files and to comments; Reverts to already-approved patches that caused major regressions
+09:06:50 <aarowlaptop> Well, we're about at an hour now. We've got one more topic
+09:07:01 <aarowlaptop> #topic Update on the 1.8 release (Kristina)
+09:07:43 <sonn_> no
+09:07:56 <anitsirk> i just wanted to briefly update on the 1.8 release. there are still a number of things in gerrit that need to be code reviewed and verified before we can bring out RC1. it would be great if as many people as possible could pick a few things and go through the reviews.
+09:08:36 <robertl_> that would be helpful, as more eyes on things find more mistakes :)
+09:08:41 <anitsirk> we do intend to release RC1 as quickly as possible, but the big features need to make it in first and then i'll need to go over the lang files. the themes are pretty much done. we'll just move some items around in the artefact chooser and group them a bit better.
+09:09:42 <anitsirk> we still intend to release mahara 1.8 stable as quickly after the RC but also need people to test the RC. it would be great if you could publicize the RC once it's out in your networks so we can get as many people to test.
+09:10:35 <anitsirk> one of the big features, flexible layouts, has been causing a number of regressions because it touches so many things that we didn't see straight away. i think robertl_ and aarowlaptop know that bug number in their sleep. having people test the front end would already be a great help.
+09:11:15 <anitsirk> we'll be updating master.dev with the RC so that users wouldn't have to install a site in order to do some testing. but of course, full installations / upgrades would also be great.
+09:11:20 <anitsirk> ..
+09:12:24 <anitsirk> #info Mahara 1.8 will have a lot of new features and lots of new Javascript that can cause a number of regressions and sticky points. Anyone who is interested in testing even only one feature or a work flow would be adding a lot of value to making the stable release a good one.
+09:12:24 <aarowlaptop> thanks Kristina!
+09:12:48 <aarowlaptop> if no one's got any questions, we'll move on to the final item, scheduling the next meeting
+09:13:26 <anzeljg> Page skins?
+09:13:40 <dajan> When? Page skins.
+09:13:51 <anitsirk> anzeljg: all of the above apply: the more testers, the better we'll see what still needs fixing.
+09:14:22 <anitsirk> we will need to bring out the RC very soon (ideally next week) in order to meet the release time frame of mid october.
+09:14:45 <dajan> Do you have put page skins in 1.8 dev? I haven't found them yet.
+09:14:47 <aarowlaptop> anzeljg: page skins are still slated for inclusion
+09:14:54 <aarowlaptop> but it's still in code review
+09:14:54 <anitsirk> dajan: they are still in gerrit
+09:15:08 <aarowlaptop> I've been meaning to finish that code review for a while now, sorry
+09:15:57 <aarowlaptop> I'll also be writing up a patch to let institutions turn the feature on or off for their own users' pages
+09:16:33 <anzeljg> I see... hopefully it'll make it into 1.8
+09:16:46 <aarowlaptop> yep, we're still aiming to get it in 1.8
+09:16:55 <anzeljg> nice
+09:17:24 <aarowlaptop> Evonne our designer hates the idea of letting end users set their own CSS for the page ;)
+09:17:42 <aarowlaptop> but we've been ignoring her on this ;)
+09:18:04 <anitsirk> because some people will create fantastic skins
+09:18:37 <anzeljg> :)
+09:19:09 <aarowlaptop> #topic Deciding the time and chair for the next meeting
+09:19:10 <rkabalin> disabling custom css could be a theme setting
+09:19:11 <dajan> Ok everybody is against Evonne. Poor Evonne
+09:19:28 <aarowlaptop> A web designer's life is hard
+09:19:29 <robertl_> so are skins and resume attachments the biggest of the items still to be reviewed?
+09:19:36 <aarowlaptop> Yes, I believe so
+09:19:41 <anitsirk> only on this one, dajan. not on the rest which is the majority :-)
+09:19:53 <rkabalin> e.g. for some really nice theme, custom css could be disabled
+09:19:55 <aarowlaptop> oh, and leap2a import into existing user accounts
+09:19:58 <dajan> ;)
+09:19:58 <anitsirk> robertl_: and the leap2a import stuff
+09:20:02 <aarowlaptop> although I don't think that touches as much code
+09:20:47 <aarowlaptop> So the next meeting will be at UTC 1600 (NZ morning, UK evening, US afternoon)
+09:21:01 <anzeljg> EU evening ;)
+09:21:11 <anitsirk> aarowlaptop: do you mean to say that this would be 4 a.m.?
+09:21:36 <aarowlaptop> erm, maybe I mean 2000, not 1600
+09:21:48 <aarowlaptop> anyway, how does this sound: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20131003T20&p1=1440
+09:21:52 <anitsirk> thanks. that's better :-)
+09:21:56 <robertl_> that's better for me :)
+09:22:01 <aarowlaptop> 3 Oct, 8pm UTC
+09:22:07 <rkabalin> good
+09:22:14 <anitsirk> that won't work for me. the eportfolio forum is on at that time. i'll be away.
+09:22:15 <dajan> +1
+09:22:22 <anzeljg> ok
+09:22:51 <anzeljg> anitsirk: a day before?
+09:23:04 <robertl_> +1
+09:23:04 <anitsirk> same thing. unless the hotel wifi is decent.
+09:23:13 <aarowlaptop> We could push it out a week
+09:23:17 <aarowlaptop> 10 Oct, 8pm UTC
+09:23:28 <anzeljg> +1
+09:23:36 <anitsirk> ignore me for that october meeting then i guess because i'll also be at a conf. 10-11
+09:23:44 <robertl_> +1 for that time too
+09:23:57 <anitsirk> same thing: if hotel wifi is ok, i can participate.
+09:24:08 <anitsirk> (or 3g)
+09:24:16 <dajan> LTE?
+09:24:19 <aarowlaptop> anitsirk: is 3 Oct as good as 10 Oct for you, then?
+09:24:47 <dajan> 10th is fine on my side too
+09:24:53 <anitsirk> 3rd oct. might then actually be a bit better because that'll be 6 a.m. and i could 1.5 hours more easily than on the 11th as that would go into starting time of the conf.
+09:25:23 <anzeljg> RC1 should be out by Oct 3rd, right?
+09:25:44 <anitsirk> anzeljg: if we get enough help with the reviews...
+09:25:56 <anzeljg> yeah, I know...
+09:26:05 <aarowlaptop> okay then
+09:26:25 <aarowlaptop> #agreed The next dev meeting will be on 3 Oct, 8pm UTC
+09:26:27 <aarowlaptop> #link http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20131003T20&p1=1440
+09:26:34 <aarowlaptop> Who wants to chair?
+09:26:48 <rkabalin> Me
+09:26:55 <anitsirk> thanks for volunteering
+09:26:59 <rkabalin> np
+09:27:09 <aarowlaptop> #action Ruslan to chair the next dev meeting
+09:27:15 <dajan> Once I would do it, but I would have to learn how to do it first...
+09:27:25 <rkabalin> :)
+09:27:30 <anitsirk> dajan: you learn while you are the chair for the first time ;-)
+09:27:39 <anzeljg> exactly!
+09:27:48 <aarowlaptop> dajan: I just expanded the wiki page about it today ;) https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Developer_Meetings/Chair_Duties
+09:27:49 <dajan> Learning by doing… the history of my life
+09:28:00 <aarowlaptop> okay, last topic then
+09:28:11 <aarowlaptop> #topic Any other business?
+09:28:14 <rkabalin> yes
+09:28:19 <anzeljg> yep
+09:28:23 <anitsirk> no
+09:28:28 <dajan> no
+09:28:33 <aarowlaptop> maybe
+09:28:42 <rkabalin> lol
+09:28:42 <dajan> but ruslan has?
+09:28:54 <rkabalin> right
+09:28:55 <anitsirk> rkabalin: go ahead
+09:29:00 <aarowlaptop> rkabalin: You said yes first, go ahead. ;)
+09:29:18 <rkabalin> Coding guidelines require some update
+09:29:29 <rkabalin> I have outlined changes
+09:29:33 <rkabalin> #link https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Talk:Developer_Area/Coding_guidelines
+09:29:40 <anitsirk> #info the coding guidelines require updating
+09:29:55 <rkabalin> if everyone happy, I will add them to wiki
+09:29:56 <anitsirk> #idea rkabalin outlined changes at https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Talk:Developer_Area/Coding_guidelines
+09:31:17 <anitsirk> rkabalin: the whitespace thing is a bit tricky for third-party code. maharabot always complains. i think there was talk of finding a way to ignore those things.
+09:31:19 <robertl_> they seem like good guidelines to me
+09:31:24 <rkabalin> you are welcome to ask questions here or in the wiki talk, or may be suggest something else
+09:31:31 <aarowlaptop> I agree with everything except for requiring no whitespace on the end of lines
+09:32:28 <robertl_> it's good not to have the extra whitespace but it doesn't break code or ability to read it
+09:33:16 <aarowlaptop> Well, speaking of third-party code, we have been following a de facto policy of *not* applying the coding standards to third-party libraries that are brought in complete
+09:33:28 <robertl_> true
+09:33:53 <aarowlaptop> which I guess is not actually specified in the coding guidelines... perhaps it should be
+09:34:19 <rkabalin> in general it is not a good style to have trailing whitespaces in the code
+09:34:37 <rkabalin> obviously it does not affect the ability to read it
+09:34:58 <robertl_> so for things like jquery or adodb that are well established libraries it not necessary to apply the coding guidelines
+09:35:18 <rkabalin> I agree regarding third-party stuff
+09:35:31 <aarowlaptop> I agree that it's preferrable to clear out whitespace because it can make comparisons using automated tools marginally more difficult, but these days most tools (including reviews.mahara.org) have the ability to ignore whitespace
+09:35:50 <aarowlaptop> which is why I'd prefer to take a relaxed attitude about it, and not reject patches solely because of their whitespace
+09:36:35 <aarowlaptop> but just leave it as a recommendation
+09:36:45 <rkabalin> aarowlaptop, when you run diff, red bits at the end do not irriate you then :)
+09:36:51 <aarowlaptop> diff -w
+09:37:03 <aarowlaptop> I habitually do "git diff -w"
+09:37:12 <aarowlaptop> I actually don't know if normal diff has a "-w" flag...
+09:37:37 <robertl_> so it would be more like "you need to fix this bug here, and while your at it there are whitespace errors to attend to"?
+09:37:53 <robertl_> rather than solely rejecting on whitespace?
+09:38:03 <rkabalin> ok, let us leave it as recommendation
+09:38:27 <aarowlaptop> While we're talking about coding guidelines, how do people feel about the "cuddled else" rule?
+09:38:50 <rkabalin> I like it
+09:38:51 <aarowlaptop> I think, if I could change one thing in the Mahara coding guidelines, it would be to allow } else {
+09:39:35 <rkabalin> we did that for ages, allowing } else { will intorduce inconsistency
+09:39:36 <sonn_> I like cuddled else
+09:40:03 <aarowlaptop> It is true that it would cause inconsistency because uncuddled elses are everywhere in the code
+09:40:05 <sonn_> it makes more clear for me
+09:40:28 <robertl_> I prefer the non cuddled else myself
+09:40:45 <aarowlaptop> okay, we'll leave it as is
+09:41:38 <rkabalin> ok, I will then update guidelines
+09:42:00 <rkabalin> keeping whitespace rule as recommended
+09:42:09 <rkabalin> that is it from me
+09:42:12 <aarowlaptop> And anzeljg, you had other business as well?
+09:42:28 <dajan> do you put an action tag for ruslan?
+09:42:53 <anzeljg> I've finhished Profile completeness / progress bar blocktype plugin as discussed in https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5649
+09:43:03 <anzeljg> see: https://twitter.com/anzeljg/status/375481998074068992/photo/1
+09:43:10 <anzeljg> just to let you know...
+09:43:20 <anzeljg> that's it from me
+09:43:23 <rkabalin> cool
+09:43:25 <anitsirk> that is cool :-)
+09:43:29 <sonn_> kool
+09:43:31 <rkabalin> thanks anzeljg
+09:43:34 <dajan> Nice
+09:43:44 <dajan> I mean super great.
+09:43:47 <robertl_> cool
+09:43:55 <anitsirk> anzeljg: did you also publish the other very cool plugin for the cookies?
+09:44:16 <aarowlaptop> #info Gregor has completed a profile completeness block
+09:44:17 <anzeljg> anitsirk: sorry none of them isn't published yet
+09:44:27 <aarowlaptop> #link https://twitter.com/anzeljg/status/375481998074068992/photo/1
+09:44:56 <anzeljg> do i add the links into wiki -> plugins? or will you consider this to make it into core and I upload it to gerrit?
+09:45:13 <rkabalin> I have leave and go to meeting, thanks everyone, thanks aarowlaptop for chairing
+09:45:23 <aarowlaptop> See you later!
+09:45:29 <anitsirk> anzeljg: i think for the time being adding it to the plugins would be great for people who want to use it now. but we can look into it for 1.9
+09:45:38 <anzeljg> the other plugin that anitsirk was mentionig was implementation of Cookie Consent plugin for mahara
+09:45:45 <aarowlaptop> I was about to say the same thing as anitsirk
+09:45:55 <anzeljg> see: http://silktide.com/cookieconsent
+09:46:00 <anitsirk> i think having the cookie one in core would definitely be useful and i think the completeness block as well
+09:46:25 <anitsirk> and they shouldn't be huge things like skins or flexible page layouts ;-)
+09:46:41 <anzeljg> ok. I'll put them into plugins wiki for time beeing...
+09:46:55 <aarowlaptop> indeed, I imagine as block plugins they're probably pretty self-contained
+09:47:07 <robertl_> with the profile completeness are the options for completeness selectable? or is the list fixed
+09:47:11 <anitsirk> anzeljg: i think people would like to use them already now with 1.7 / 1.8
+09:47:26 <anzeljg> the list is fixed for now
+09:47:44 <robertl_> ok
+09:47:49 <anzeljg> basically most of the stuff from profile and resume - profile photo
+09:49:00 <dajan> I am already listening to people at Alumni or staff at students' placement asking for more flexibility, asking for choosing the items they want...
+09:49:09 <anitsirk> let's look at it once 1.8 is out :-)
+09:49:27 <anzeljg> ok
+09:49:59 <anitsirk> does anybody else have other business?
+09:50:20 <anzeljg> I was also thinking about implementing support for social websites (twitter, FB, etc.) in a way that the user will add those url address similar to adding multiple email addresses...
+09:50:31 <anzeljg> but after 1.8 gets out.
+09:50:31 <anzeljg> ..
+09:50:48 <anitsirk> yes, instead of AIM and MSN messenger ;-)
+09:50:56 <dajan> Have to go now. Already noon. Gosh how time passes by with good friend. anitsirk: when is the due date for the next newsletter?
+09:51:09 <anitsirk> dajan: 28 september
+09:51:24 <anitsirk> i'll send out a CFP
+09:51:30 <dajan> Ok I will write something about: http://vimeo.com/channels/eportfolios
+09:51:44 <aarowlaptop> Alright, I declare this meeting complete!
+09:51:47 <aarowlaptop> #endmeeting
+ diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.txt b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.txt new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..8671ef272a2dbec2d95aae4c6cd751fb955131e2 --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.txt @@ -0,0 +1,402 @@ +08:01:15 #startmeeting +08:01:15 Meeting started Thu Sep 5 08:01:15 2013 UTC. The chair is aarowlaptop. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot. +08:01:15 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic. +08:01:31 Greetings one and all, welcome to the 27th Mahara dev meeting +08:01:42 Please introduce yourself using the #info tag +08:01:49 #info anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner, Catalyst IT, Wellington, NZ +08:02:03 #info aarowlaptop is Aaron Wells at Catalyst IT in Wellington, NZ +08:02:30 #info robertl_ is Robert Lyon, Catalyst IT in Wellington, NZ +08:02:47 #info dobedobedoh is Andrew Nicols at Lancaster University, UK (just) +08:02:55 #info sonn_ is Son Nguyen at Catalyst IT in Wellington, NZ +08:03:21 hi dobedobedoh. had feared we'd not have one of you guys here. +08:03:38 I won't be so helpful for channel ops - I'll be in Perth in 3 weeks +08:03:52 to visit or to stay? +08:04:06 I'm moving to Perth to work for Moodle HQ +08:04:21 congrats! i can visit you then in january during lca 2014 :-) +08:04:29 cool :) +08:04:39 Well, let's proceed +08:04:40 i.e. you could come to the conference as well... +08:04:44 #topic Items from last meeting +08:05:21 #info to see about changing the channel operators on the #mahara-dev IRC room, and running his own copy of meetbot +08:05:34 I have not done either of those :) +08:06:21 But now that I know that dobedobedoh runs the meetbot, I at least know to check with him a day or so before a meeting to make sure it's up and running +08:06:47 #info dajan - Dominique-Alain Jan coordinator of the francophone community +08:07:12 #action Aaron to see about changing the channel operators on the #mahara-dev IRC room +08:07:19 hi dajan +08:07:20 I'll try to get that done before the next meeting +08:07:23 Hi dajan! +08:07:33 Hi dajan +08:07:36 hi +08:07:45 congratulation dobedobedoh +08:07:52 Hi to all +08:08:04 dobedobedoh and i chatted a bit whether i could change the chanops, but since i moved to bip, i had trouble getting my nick password and the one i think i have won't be taken. sorry that i can't help. :-( +08:08:19 hi anzeljg. great that you could make it. +08:08:51 anitsirk hi ;) +08:08:53 Hi anzeljg, can you introduce yourself with #info for the record? :) +08:09:25 #info anzeljg is Gregor Anzelj, translator & developer from Ljubljana, Slovenia +08:09:37 thanks +08:10:07 okay, next topic +08:10:22 #topic Aaron to discuss switching to "asynchronous meetings" +08:10:59 As suggested I have revamp the Developer Area/Developer Meetings page on the wiki, to have the last dev meeting first. ½ hour of happy copy paste. +08:11:00 It was just something I was wondering about, because it seemed the turnout had been pretty low the past few dev meetings, whether we should continue with them. Although, now that I'm looking through the historical minutes I can see that we're more or less within the average +08:11:05 #info kabalin is Ruslan Kabalin, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK +08:11:15 oh, that's who did that, thanks dajan +08:11:16 Hi Ruslan +08:11:20 Hi Greg +08:11:33 Hi Ruslan +08:12:42 Hi everyone, sorry for being late :) +08:13:01 aarowlaptop: do you still suggest moving to asynchronous meetings then or see how it goes? +08:13:02 So anyhow, I think we're fine continuing with the IRC dev meetings as before +08:13:11 I think we can keep with the status quo +08:13:22 that sounds good to me +08:13:42 We could reduce the frequency to 6 weekly? +08:13:47 we perhaps just need to be more assiduous about getting them regularly scheduled, and getting the announcements out +08:14:00 #info Keep developer meetings synchronously in irc. +08:14:01 I only remembered today because I saw anitsirk 's tweet +08:14:19 6 weekly sounds fine. and announcements would be much apreciated... +08:14:39 Maybe advertising them on a wider scale with other tools (e.g. twitter, G+,…) +08:14:43 it's too bad Mahara doesn't have an event calendar to send out reminder emails +08:14:48 normally, a reminder is sent the week before and then the day before. we missed this this time due to lots of work. sorry about that. +08:15:03 dajan: i always tweet about them. +08:15:14 Sorry. +08:16:10 and if i remember i also put an announcement in the mahara user group on FB. not this time because most people there are in the usa fast asleep when we made the announcement. +08:16:36 they're just not dedicated enough ;) +08:16:41 On my side I will advertise more about them to french dev in Switzerland, France and Canada. I have to put this in my calendar and do it. +08:16:52 cool. +08:17:38 aarowlaptop: wanna move on to the next topic? +08:17:44 I was just about to suggest that +08:17:45 We ahve FB? +08:18:00 Should we make the meetings less developer-focused? +08:18:04 Do we have an official Facebook feed? +08:18:19 dobedobedoh: there are a few FB groups / pages: mahara user group, the maharamoot de and the mahara page now as well. then there is the moodle-mahara meetup (down under) +08:18:20 #idea Should we make the meetings less developer-focused? +08:18:45 and there's the LinkedIn page too, right? +08:18:45 the mahara user group has infrequent meetings in a webinar setting. +08:18:53 yep. linkedin, too. +08:19:06 what do they talk about at the Mahara User Group? +08:19:20 Aaron, I don't think so. The forums on Mahara.org are already here for users. I don't think that IRC is something "lambda" users will engage, really. +08:19:33 in the beginning, we wanted to have the dev meetings dev focused so that you devs could talk about tricky tech questions. but i guess that hasn't happened much. +08:20:25 We do occasionally use them to discuss what direction we should go with the API's and stuff +08:20:28 aarowlaptop: primarily implementation at institutions, examples, last year we had a student showcase; new features, potential collaborations (only started) +08:20:35 but it does seem to mostly be about discussing community rules +08:20:50 and community infrastructure +08:21:33 I agree with dajan, though, end-users don't really use IRC +08:21:36 the meetings are open for anyone to join. same with the MUG meetings +08:21:53 could there be say one or two meetings a year where the focus is brainstorming new features? +08:22:20 where all the focus is to bring new ideas to the meeting? +08:22:25 great idea! +08:22:27 Interesting, Robert, +1 +08:23:09 #idea one or two meetings a year where the focus is brainstorming new features +08:23:18 Perhaps we could also do the occasional hangout? +08:23:28 you mean as in google? +08:23:30 anitsirk: yup +08:23:42 Kirisina is not very keen of using G+ +08:23:57 and I don't actually have a webcam ;) +08:23:57 Okay then, bbb +08:23:58 I respect this +08:24:00 it's a bit limiting because you need to have a G+ account - it excludes people more than irc does i think. +08:24:27 bbb is a good idea :-) would need to do a bit of testing the connectino beforehand but that would be good to use +08:24:29 Well, I think more people probably have Gmail or G+ accounts, than know how to use IRC +08:24:39 we do have an instance to test with. +08:24:46 I just wonder whether once in a while, it would be helpful to meet people a little more in the flesh +08:24:59 yep. +08:25:08 I do see that, meeting people "in person", as one of the main goods of the dev meetings, actually +08:25:11 that's what the mug meetings do. they use webinar software. +08:25:40 #idea Occasional dev meetings that use Google Hangouts or BBB or other webinar software, rather than just IRC +08:26:22 okay, let's move on to the next topic :) +08:26:23 aarowlaptop: Can you add robertl_ 's idea about a different focus for some meetings? +08:26:37 dajan: you already did that +08:26:38 So lets organise the next dev meeting in NZ. I offer the beers. +08:26:40 dajan got that one already :) +08:26:50 ah okay, sorry. +08:27:02 I'm game. Wellington isn't so far from Perth in the grand scheme of things +08:27:02 well yeah, free beer for anyone who attends a dev meeting in New Zealand, that's a given. ;) +08:27:18 indeed it would be +08:27:28 I can confirm the presence of free beer at such meetings I have attended +08:27:28 free virtual beer for those abroad +08:28:01 ANyway, moving on ;) +08:28:08 #topic Dajan improvements to the Mahara admin interface for installing/deleting plugins +08:29:03 Yes. I was on it. But I had to use my time to focus on the CAS development. So this task is on hold at that time. I will work on it in October. +08:29:34 #action Dajan to discuss improvements to the Mahara admin interface for installing/deleting plugins +08:29:36 aarowlaptop: instead of making this an action item, we should add it to the todo list on the wiki. i'll find the page +08:29:40 #undo +08:29:40 Removing item from minutes: +08:29:47 About CAS, I am negotiating with the University of Troyes and Strasbourg to find the needed funding to develop and put CAS in core. +08:29:54 excellent +08:30:22 what is CAS if I may ask? +08:30:34 It's a SSO standard +08:30:39 #link added to https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Current_Tasks +08:30:44 There's a third-party plugin for it in Mahara currently +08:30:55 I will come back to you soon to discuss about cost/blue print, etc. But it takes time to meet all the people who can decide about money in France…. +08:31:08 by Patrick Pollet https://github.com/patrickpollet/mahara_plugin_auth_cas +08:31:36 Yes. the third-party is Pollet's one. And it would be used as dev basis, I think. +08:31:58 More detail about CAS later this month, I hope +08:32:03 Yep, as we discussed when dajan was visiting here, it's about 90% of the way there +08:32:10 fantastic +08:32:46 #info dajan negotiating funding for the development work to get Patrick Pollet's CAS plugin into core +08:32:49 Both universities agreed to pay for it… So just the time to finalise the blue print... +08:33:20 #link CAS plugin https://github.com/patrickpollet/mahara_plugin_auth_cas +08:33:54 Okay, I think we can move on the next topic then +08:34:04 #topic Aaron: Exceptional cases when an approved code reviewer may push code directly without another reviewer looking at it +08:34:53 oh hi iarenaza :-) +08:35:12 hi, just show your tweet about the meeting :-) +08:35:13 Hi iarenaza +08:36:05 I'm not much into Mahara devel these days but I thought I could pass by and have a peek +08:36:11 :-) +08:36:18 aaron, there would need to be some solid guidelines around this otherwise it could get messy +08:36:18 you are always welcome, iarenaza +08:36:40 correct, robertl_, back to the topic ;) +08:37:02 iarenaza hi +08:37:51 I've been admittedly cutting corners on the review process, occasionally pushing certain types of commits without getting a +2 on them from another reviewer in gerrit. Kristina thought it would be a good idea to go over this in the dev meeting. +08:37:57 The situations would be: +08:38:33 #info 1. Cherry-picking of already approved commits, that touch relatively few lines of code, to other supported branches (if the cherry-pick applies cleanly) +08:39:05 #info 2. Patches that only make changes to comments or documentation files but do not touch executable Mahara code +08:40:02 #info 3. (Possibly) changes to development tools, like the pre-commit hooks and Makefiles +08:40:03 those two sounds good to me +08:40:47 #info 4. Patches to revert already-approved patches which have caused major regressions +08:41:02 So, those would be the four situations +08:42:16 with point 1. would the few lines that change need to be all in the one file or can it be across multiple files? +08:42:19 I'm not an approved reviewer, but they sound ok to me because they are not pushing new bug fixes or new features through without someone else having looked at them first. +08:43:27 I'd say across multiple files is fine. In practice, since we're only supposed to backport bug fixes and security fixes to the stable branches, not new features, the patches that are being cherry-picked to them will usually be pretty small anyway +08:44:13 should "relatively few lines" be defined a bit more closely then as "relatively" is very interpretable? +08:44:14 Though admittedly, item #1 there is the riskiest of them. Even when something applies cleanly, there's always the possibility that it will cause problems. +08:44:53 we could add that the dev needs to verify it for sure and not only apply the patch. +08:45:15 No, I think it'd be best to leave it up to just developer judgement as to what is "minor" versus "major". +08:46:24 I think that's fair, every patch should be verified, even if it's just by the dev who pushes it +08:46:58 #info In the case of Item 1, the cherry-picked patches should be verified (this can be by the dev who is pushing them) +08:47:02 I agree re dev judgement +08:47:34 does anyone not agree with any of the suggestions? +08:47:53 Actually I'm thinking of rescinding #3, about the dev tools :) +08:48:35 #agree +08:48:41 but other than that, I agree with #s 1, 2, and 4 +08:49:29 I agree with all of them, given that developer may decide on his/her own whether verification is required +08:49:30 #agreed +08:49:57 with all of them +08:50:03 since we have 5 approved devs in the room, well 5 if robertl omes back, we can put it forward to vote on and make it a guideline. +08:50:15 sonn_: 1,2 and 4 or 1, 2, 3 and 4? +08:50:40 I agree +08:50:54 rkabalin: i think verification would be required for all of them, esp. #1 at least a smoketest. +08:51:14 I agree with all of them 1, 2, 3, and 4 +08:51:20 1,2,5 for me +08:51:27 1,2,4 even +08:51:36 what's #5, dobedobedoh ? +08:52:10 I believe that's a typo ;) +08:52:13 5 = anything minor against code which is unit tested and causes no regressions ;) +08:52:31 * dobedobedoh adds things to the mix +08:52:34 do we have anything like that? +08:52:41 We have a unit testing framework, but no tests +08:52:47 lol +08:52:56 We could do with some tests (please) +08:52:56 well, it's a start +08:53:11 it's on the backlog https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Current_Tasks +08:53:14 I havent' checked it still works, but phpunit is there ish +08:53:26 welcome back, robertl_ +08:53:39 But, in reality, my preference is really only #5, but since we don't have that yet, 1,2,4 will suffice +08:53:44 had to reset router, sorry bout that +08:53:52 Sorry, 4 and 5 maybe +08:54:49 So what do you say, robertl? cherry-picks, non-code changes, and emergency reverts? +08:54:51 dobedobedoh: wouldn't we then actually also need automated functional testing? +08:55:43 cherry-picks that merge cleanly sound fine and non code changes +08:55:58 i've counted a couple that were in favor of #3 as well. so it might be easiest to look at each item individually and tally the agrees +08:56:07 emergency reverts in some situations will be fine +08:56:15 anitsirk: yes +08:56:38 dobedobedoh: yes to what? my last or second last line? :-) +08:57:00 or both? +08:57:06 anitsirk: yes to automated functional testing +08:57:13 but also yes to tally +08:58:40 aarowlaptop: do you want to do the tallying? you have the power to give the final numbers as chair and use the #agreed (if i remember correctly) +08:58:50 please do, anitsirk +09:00:02 so it's only approved reviewer's that are counted, right? +09:00:53 I don't really know if we have a rule about these things, to be honest +09:02:20 i only know that approved reviewers can vote others to become approved, but don't remember that we had a situation like this here. +09:03:04 Looking back at the minutes, we have three devs voting for my new proposal of #124, and two devs voting for #1234. I think it'd be fair to say that numbers #124 are approved, because they have 5/5 approval, while #3 is not approved at this time because it only has 2/5 +09:03:34 #agree +09:03:39 #agreed +09:04:02 with #1 caveat of verification by the dev +09:04:52 but other than that, that was also my count. +09:05:34 sonn_, robertl_, rkabalin: do you want to add anything? +09:06:04 #agreed: +2 Reviewers can commit things without getting review from others in the following scenarios: cherry-picking already-reviewed, cleanly applied, patches from one branch to another (though they should verify them on the target branch); changes to non-code files and to comments; Reverts to already-approved patches that caused major regressions +09:06:50 Well, we're about at an hour now. We've got one more topic +09:07:01 #topic Update on the 1.8 release (Kristina) +09:07:43 no +09:07:56 i just wanted to briefly update on the 1.8 release. there are still a number of things in gerrit that need to be code reviewed and verified before we can bring out RC1. it would be great if as many people as possible could pick a few things and go through the reviews. +09:08:36 that would be helpful, as more eyes on things find more mistakes :) +09:08:41 we do intend to release RC1 as quickly as possible, but the big features need to make it in first and then i'll need to go over the lang files. the themes are pretty much done. we'll just move some items around in the artefact chooser and group them a bit better. +09:09:42 we still intend to release mahara 1.8 stable as quickly after the RC but also need people to test the RC. it would be great if you could publicize the RC once it's out in your networks so we can get as many people to test. +09:10:35 one of the big features, flexible layouts, has been causing a number of regressions because it touches so many things that we didn't see straight away. i think robertl_ and aarowlaptop know that bug number in their sleep. having people test the front end would already be a great help. +09:11:15 we'll be updating master.dev with the RC so that users wouldn't have to install a site in order to do some testing. but of course, full installations / upgrades would also be great. +09:11:20 .. +09:12:24 #info Mahara 1.8 will have a lot of new features and lots of new Javascript that can cause a number of regressions and sticky points. Anyone who is interested in testing even only one feature or a work flow would be adding a lot of value to making the stable release a good one. +09:12:24 thanks Kristina! +09:12:48 if no one's got any questions, we'll move on to the final item, scheduling the next meeting +09:13:26 Page skins? +09:13:40 When? Page skins. +09:13:51 anzeljg: all of the above apply: the more testers, the better we'll see what still needs fixing. +09:14:22 we will need to bring out the RC very soon (ideally next week) in order to meet the release time frame of mid october. +09:14:45 Do you have put page skins in 1.8 dev? I haven't found them yet. +09:14:47 anzeljg: page skins are still slated for inclusion +09:14:54 but it's still in code review +09:14:54 dajan: they are still in gerrit +09:15:08 I've been meaning to finish that code review for a while now, sorry +09:15:57 I'll also be writing up a patch to let institutions turn the feature on or off for their own users' pages +09:16:33 I see... hopefully it'll make it into 1.8 +09:16:46 yep, we're still aiming to get it in 1.8 +09:16:55 nice +09:17:24 Evonne our designer hates the idea of letting end users set their own CSS for the page ;) +09:17:42 but we've been ignoring her on this ;) +09:18:04 because some people will create fantastic skins +09:18:37 :) +09:19:09 #topic Deciding the time and chair for the next meeting +09:19:10 disabling custom css could be a theme setting +09:19:11 Ok everybody is against Evonne. Poor Evonne +09:19:28 A web designer's life is hard +09:19:29 so are skins and resume attachments the biggest of the items still to be reviewed? +09:19:36 Yes, I believe so +09:19:41 only on this one, dajan. not on the rest which is the majority :-) +09:19:53 e.g. for some really nice theme, custom css could be disabled +09:19:55 oh, and leap2a import into existing user accounts +09:19:58 ;) +09:19:58 robertl_: and the leap2a import stuff +09:20:02 although I don't think that touches as much code +09:20:47 So the next meeting will be at UTC 1600 (NZ morning, UK evening, US afternoon) +09:21:01 EU evening ;) +09:21:11 aarowlaptop: do you mean to say that this would be 4 a.m.? +09:21:36 erm, maybe I mean 2000, not 1600 +09:21:48 anyway, how does this sound: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20131003T20&p1=1440 +09:21:52 thanks. that's better :-) +09:21:56 that's better for me :) +09:22:01 3 Oct, 8pm UTC +09:22:07 good +09:22:14 that won't work for me. the eportfolio forum is on at that time. i'll be away. +09:22:15 +1 +09:22:22 ok +09:22:51 anitsirk: a day before? +09:23:04 +1 +09:23:04 same thing. unless the hotel wifi is decent. +09:23:13 We could push it out a week +09:23:17 10 Oct, 8pm UTC +09:23:28 +1 +09:23:36 ignore me for that october meeting then i guess because i'll also be at a conf. 10-11 +09:23:44 +1 for that time too +09:23:57 same thing: if hotel wifi is ok, i can participate. +09:24:08 (or 3g) +09:24:16 LTE? +09:24:19 anitsirk: is 3 Oct as good as 10 Oct for you, then? +09:24:47 10th is fine on my side too +09:24:53 3rd oct. might then actually be a bit better because that'll be 6 a.m. and i could 1.5 hours more easily than on the 11th as that would go into starting time of the conf. +09:25:23 RC1 should be out by Oct 3rd, right? +09:25:44 anzeljg: if we get enough help with the reviews... +09:25:56 yeah, I know... +09:26:05 okay then +09:26:25 #agreed The next dev meeting will be on 3 Oct, 8pm UTC +09:26:27 #link http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20131003T20&p1=1440 +09:26:34 Who wants to chair? +09:26:48 Me +09:26:55 thanks for volunteering +09:26:59 np +09:27:09 #action Ruslan to chair the next dev meeting +09:27:15 Once I would do it, but I would have to learn how to do it first... +09:27:25 :) +09:27:30 dajan: you learn while you are the chair for the first time ;-) +09:27:39 exactly! +09:27:48 dajan: I just expanded the wiki page about it today ;) https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Developer_Meetings/Chair_Duties +09:27:49 Learning by doing… the history of my life +09:28:00 okay, last topic then +09:28:11 #topic Any other business? +09:28:14 yes +09:28:19 yep +09:28:23 no +09:28:28 no +09:28:33 maybe +09:28:42 lol +09:28:42 but ruslan has? +09:28:54 right +09:28:55 rkabalin: go ahead +09:29:00 rkabalin: You said yes first, go ahead. ;) +09:29:18 Coding guidelines require some update +09:29:29 I have outlined changes +09:29:33 #link https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Talk:Developer_Area/Coding_guidelines +09:29:40 #info the coding guidelines require updating +09:29:55 if everyone happy, I will add them to wiki +09:29:56 #idea rkabalin outlined changes at https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Talk:Developer_Area/Coding_guidelines +09:31:17 rkabalin: the whitespace thing is a bit tricky for third-party code. maharabot always complains. i think there was talk of finding a way to ignore those things. +09:31:19 they seem like good guidelines to me +09:31:24 you are welcome to ask questions here or in the wiki talk, or may be suggest something else +09:31:31 I agree with everything except for requiring no whitespace on the end of lines +09:32:28 it's good not to have the extra whitespace but it doesn't break code or ability to read it +09:33:16 Well, speaking of third-party code, we have been following a de facto policy of *not* applying the coding standards to third-party libraries that are brought in complete +09:33:28 true +09:33:53 which I guess is not actually specified in the coding guidelines... perhaps it should be +09:34:19 in general it is not a good style to have trailing whitespaces in the code +09:34:37 obviously it does not affect the ability to read it +09:34:58 so for things like jquery or adodb that are well established libraries it not necessary to apply the coding guidelines +09:35:18 I agree regarding third-party stuff +09:35:31 I agree that it's preferrable to clear out whitespace because it can make comparisons using automated tools marginally more difficult, but these days most tools (including reviews.mahara.org) have the ability to ignore whitespace +09:35:50 which is why I'd prefer to take a relaxed attitude about it, and not reject patches solely because of their whitespace +09:36:35 but just leave it as a recommendation +09:36:45 aarowlaptop, when you run diff, red bits at the end do not irriate you then :) +09:36:51 diff -w +09:37:03 I habitually do "git diff -w" +09:37:12 I actually don't know if normal diff has a "-w" flag... +09:37:37 so it would be more like "you need to fix this bug here, and while your at it there are whitespace errors to attend to"? +09:37:53 rather than solely rejecting on whitespace? +09:38:03 ok, let us leave it as recommendation +09:38:27 While we're talking about coding guidelines, how do people feel about the "cuddled else" rule? +09:38:50 I like it +09:38:51 I think, if I could change one thing in the Mahara coding guidelines, it would be to allow } else { +09:39:35 we did that for ages, allowing } else { will intorduce inconsistency +09:39:36 I like cuddled else +09:40:03 It is true that it would cause inconsistency because uncuddled elses are everywhere in the code +09:40:05 it makes more clear for me +09:40:28 I prefer the non cuddled else myself +09:40:45 okay, we'll leave it as is +09:41:38 ok, I will then update guidelines +09:42:00 keeping whitespace rule as recommended +09:42:09 that is it from me +09:42:12 And anzeljg, you had other business as well? +09:42:28 do you put an action tag for ruslan? +09:42:53 I've finhished Profile completeness / progress bar blocktype plugin as discussed in https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5649 +09:43:03 see: https://twitter.com/anzeljg/status/375481998074068992/photo/1 +09:43:10 just to let you know... +09:43:20 that's it from me +09:43:23 cool +09:43:25 that is cool :-) +09:43:29 kool +09:43:31 thanks anzeljg +09:43:34 Nice +09:43:44 I mean super great. +09:43:47 cool +09:43:55 anzeljg: did you also publish the other very cool plugin for the cookies? +09:44:16 #info Gregor has completed a profile completeness block +09:44:17 anitsirk: sorry none of them isn't published yet +09:44:27 #link https://twitter.com/anzeljg/status/375481998074068992/photo/1 +09:44:56 do i add the links into wiki -> plugins? or will you consider this to make it into core and I upload it to gerrit? +09:45:13 I have leave and go to meeting, thanks everyone, thanks aarowlaptop for chairing +09:45:23 See you later! +09:45:29 anzeljg: i think for the time being adding it to the plugins would be great for people who want to use it now. but we can look into it for 1.9 +09:45:38 the other plugin that anitsirk was mentionig was implementation of Cookie Consent plugin for mahara +09:45:45 I was about to say the same thing as anitsirk +09:45:55 see: http://silktide.com/cookieconsent +09:46:00 i think having the cookie one in core would definitely be useful and i think the completeness block as well +09:46:25 and they shouldn't be huge things like skins or flexible page layouts ;-) +09:46:41 ok. I'll put them into plugins wiki for time beeing... +09:46:55 indeed, I imagine as block plugins they're probably pretty self-contained +09:47:07 with the profile completeness are the options for completeness selectable? or is the list fixed +09:47:11 anzeljg: i think people would like to use them already now with 1.7 / 1.8 +09:47:26 the list is fixed for now +09:47:44 ok +09:47:49 basically most of the stuff from profile and resume - profile photo +09:49:00 I am already listening to people at Alumni or staff at students' placement asking for more flexibility, asking for choosing the items they want... +09:49:09 let's look at it once 1.8 is out :-) +09:49:27 ok +09:49:59 does anybody else have other business? +09:50:20 I was also thinking about implementing support for social websites (twitter, FB, etc.) in a way that the user will add those url address similar to adding multiple email addresses... +09:50:31 but after 1.8 gets out. +09:50:31 .. +09:50:48 yes, instead of AIM and MSN messenger ;-) +09:50:56 Have to go now. Already noon. Gosh how time passes by with good friend. anitsirk: when is the due date for the next newsletter? +09:51:09 dajan: 28 september +09:51:24 i'll send out a CFP +09:51:30 Ok I will write something about: http://vimeo.com/channels/eportfolios +09:51:44 Alright, I declare this meeting complete! +09:51:47 #endmeeting \ No newline at end of file diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.txt b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.txt new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..2e5ade6e4b1f085798f0640e8d4df52db1f00b4c --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.txt @@ -0,0 +1,154 @@ +=================== +#mahara-dev Meeting +=================== + + +Meeting started by aarowlaptop at 08:01:15 UTC. The full logs are +available at +http://meetbot.mahara.org/mahara-dev/2013/mahara-dev.2013-09-05-08.01.log.html +. + + + +Meeting summary +--------------- +* anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner, Catalyst IT, Wellington, NZ (anitsirk, + 08:01:49) +* aarowlaptop is Aaron Wells at Catalyst IT in Wellington, NZ + (aarowlaptop, 08:02:03) +* robertl_ is Robert Lyon, Catalyst IT in Wellington, NZ (robertl_, + 08:02:30) +* dobedobedoh is Andrew Nicols at Lancaster University, UK (just) + (dobedobedoh, 08:02:47) +* sonn_ is Son Nguyen at Catalyst IT in Wellington, NZ (sonn_, + 08:02:55) +* Items from last meeting (aarowlaptop, 08:04:44) + * to see about changing the channel operators on the #mahara-dev IRC + room, and running his own copy of meetbot (aarowlaptop, 08:05:21) + * dajan - Dominique-Alain Jan coordinator of the francophone community + (dajan, 08:06:47) + * ACTION: Aaron to see about changing the channel operators on the + #mahara-dev IRC room (aarowlaptop, 08:07:12) + * anzeljg is Gregor Anzelj, translator & developer from Ljubljana, + Slovenia (anzeljg, 08:09:25) + +* Aaron to discuss switching to "asynchronous meetings" (aarowlaptop, + 08:10:22) + * kabalin is Ruslan Kabalin, Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK + (rkabalin, 08:11:05) + * Keep developer meetings synchronously in irc. (anitsirk, 08:14:00) + * IDEA: Should we make the meetings less developer-focused? + (aarowlaptop, 08:18:20) + * IDEA: one or two meetings a year where the focus is brainstorming + new features (dajan, 08:23:09) + * IDEA: Occasional dev meetings that use Google Hangouts or BBB or + other webinar software, rather than just IRC (aarowlaptop, + 08:25:40) + +* Dajan improvements to the Mahara admin interface for + installing/deleting plugins (aarowlaptop, 08:28:08) + * LINK: added to + https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Current_Tasks + (anitsirk, 08:30:39) + * dajan negotiating funding for the development work to get Patrick + Pollet's CAS plugin into core (aarowlaptop, 08:32:46) + * LINK: CAS plugin + https://github.com/patrickpollet/mahara_plugin_auth_cas + (aarowlaptop, 08:33:20) + +* Aaron: Exceptional cases when an approved code reviewer may push code + directly without another reviewer looking at it (aarowlaptop, + 08:34:04) + * 1. Cherry-picking of already approved commits, that touch relatively + few lines of code, to other supported branches (if the cherry-pick + applies cleanly) (aarowlaptop, 08:38:33) + * 2. Patches that only make changes to comments or documentation files + but do not touch executable Mahara code (aarowlaptop, 08:39:05) + * 3. (Possibly) changes to development tools, like the pre-commit + hooks and Makefiles (aarowlaptop, 08:40:02) + * 4. Patches to revert already-approved patches which have caused + major regressions (aarowlaptop, 08:40:47) + * In the case of Item 1, the cherry-picked patches should be verified + (this can be by the dev who is pushing them) (aarowlaptop, + 08:46:58) + * AGREED: (aarowlaptop, 09:03:39) + * AGREED: : +2 Reviewers can commit things without getting review from + others in the following scenarios: cherry-picking already-reviewed, + cleanly applied, patches from one branch to another (though they + should verify them on the target branch); changes to non-code files + and to comments; Reverts to already-approved patches that caused + major regressions (aarowlaptop, 09:06:04) + +* Update on the 1.8 release (Kristina) (aarowlaptop, 09:07:01) + * Mahara 1.8 will have a lot of new features and lots of new + Javascript that can cause a number of regressions and sticky points. + Anyone who is interested in testing even only one feature or a work + flow would be adding a lot of value to making the stable release a + good one. (anitsirk, 09:12:24) + +* Deciding the time and chair for the next meeting (aarowlaptop, + 09:19:09) + * AGREED: The next dev meeting will be on 3 Oct, 8pm UTC + (aarowlaptop, 09:26:25) + * LINK: + http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20131003T20&p1=1440 + (aarowlaptop, 09:26:27) + * ACTION: Ruslan to chair the next dev meeting (aarowlaptop, + 09:27:09) + +* Any other business? (aarowlaptop, 09:28:11) + * LINK: + https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Talk:Developer_Area/Coding_guidelines + (rkabalin, 09:29:33) + * the coding guidelines require updating (anitsirk, 09:29:40) + * IDEA: rkabalin outlined changes at + https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Talk:Developer_Area/Coding_guidelines + (anitsirk, 09:29:56) + * Gregor has completed a profile completeness block (aarowlaptop, + 09:44:16) + * LINK: https://twitter.com/anzeljg/status/375481998074068992/photo/1 + (aarowlaptop, 09:44:27) + +Meeting ended at 09:51:47 UTC. + + + + +Action Items +------------ +* Aaron to see about changing the channel operators on the #mahara-dev + IRC room +* Ruslan to chair the next dev meeting + + + + +Action Items, by person +----------------------- +* **UNASSIGNED** + * Aaron to see about changing the channel operators on the #mahara-dev + IRC room + * Ruslan to chair the next dev meeting + + + + +People Present (lines said) +--------------------------- +* aarowlaptop (130) +* anitsirk (94) +* dajan (40) +* anzeljg (34) +* rkabalin (33) +* dobedobedoh (30) +* robertl_ (25) +* sonn_ (10) +* iarenaza (3) +* maharameet (3) + + + + +Generated by `MeetBot`_ 0.1.4 + +.. _`MeetBot`: http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot