Commit 49c6a842 authored by Aaron Wells's avatar Aaron Wells

Adding minutes for developer meeting 52

parent 4b038bb6
Pipeline #65 skipped
This diff is collapsed.
==========================================
#mahara-dev: 52nd Mahara Developer Meeting
==========================================
Meeting started by anitsirk at 07:16:35 UTC. The full logs are
available at mahara-dev/2016/mahara-dev.2016-04-28-07.16.log.html .
Meeting summary
---------------
* anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner, Catalyst, Wellington in New Zealand
(anitsirk, 07:16:47)
* robertl_ is Robert Lyon, Catalyst in Wellington, New Zealand
(robertl_, 07:16:49)
* aaronw_ is Aaron Wells, Catalyst IT, Wellington NZ (aaronw_,
07:16:54)
* Yair Spielmann, Synergy Learning, in Belfast, Northern Ireland
(sl-yair, 07:17:35)
* ghada is Ghada El-Zoghbi, Catalyst IT, Sydney, Australia (ghada,
07:17:37)
* Gregor_Pirker is Gregor Pirker, Danube University Krems, Krems,
Austria (Gregor_Pirker, 07:17:41)
* Items from last meeting (anitsirk, 07:17:53)
* since both mingard and anzeljg aren't here (yet), we'll postpone
their items until later or next time. (anitsirk, 07:17:54)
* Drop support for PHP 5.3? (anitsirk, 07:18:08)
* IDEA: drop support for PHP 5.3 officially in Mahara 16.10. It is
getting old. (anitsirk, 07:21:16)
* some of our dependencies are starting to drop support for 5.3
(anitsirk, 07:23:43)
* LINK: http://php.net/eol.php (aaronw_, 07:26:46)
* AGREED: Drop support for php 5.3 in 16.10, unless we come across
some big reason to keep it. (anitsirk, 07:29:26)
* Switch to PSR-2 coding standard? (anitsirk, 07:29:36)
* LINK: http://www.php-fig.org/psr/psr-2/ (aaronw_, 07:30:07)
* good idea to move to widely recognized coding standards. we'll need
to assess the effort needed to do so. (anitsirk, 07:45:10)
* IDEA: run an autoformatter on all the existing code (excluding
external libraries) and commit in one big commit (anitsirk,
07:45:30)
* ACTION: aaronw to file a bug to switch to the PSR-2 coding standard
(anitsirk, 07:48:44)
* Namespaces and autoloading (anitsirk, 07:49:04)
* IDEA: move all of Mahara's library code into namespaces, so we can
use an autoloader (anitsirk, 07:50:13)
* one downside to changing the code format is that it'll make it
harder to apply patches. it's just whitespace changes, though, so it
shouldn't be too big of a problem (anitsirk, 07:51:00)
* IDEA: so basically, the way this would go is that we'd put all of
our library files under namespace \Mahara and then artefacts would
be \Mahara\Artefact, etc and then we could register an autoloader,
that would automatically know which PHP file to load, based on the
namespace and our file layout thus removing our need for most
require() statements (anitsirk, 07:54:08)
* unfortunately there's no autoloader for standalone functions, so
aaronw_ would also like to move all the standalone functions like
artefact_get_descendants into static functions of a utility class,
so they could be autoloaded too (anitsirk, 07:54:55)
* IDEA: for backwards compatibility we could provide a compatibility
library that maps the standalone function names to the new static
functions (anitsirk, 07:55:21)
* ACTION: aaronw_ to think about how a change to namespaces would
affect 3rd-party libraries and whether they'd need to move to
namespaces as well. (anitsirk, 07:58:56)
* ACTION: aaronw_ to file a bug around namespaces. but no changes will
be made until we have a solution to avoid breaking 3rd-party
libraries as best as possible (anitsirk, 08:01:30)
* Moodle faced a similar issue and provided a couple of transition
versions in which third party plugins could behave as before if they
wanted. (anitsirk, 08:01:49)
* Mahara 16.04 release (anitsirk, 08:06:22)
* This release is a nice small one but does have some cool new
features. (anitsirk, 08:07:47)
* LINK: http://manual.mahara.org/en/16.04/genindex.html#N (anitsirk,
08:07:49)
* we also integrated the Open Badges displayer plugin that discendum
had developed. it's now in core. (anitsirk, 08:08:32)
* the big feature is HTML5 media player, which ZHAW in switzerland
sponsored. (anitsirk, 08:08:54)
* I also gave a presentation on the big new features last week
https://slides.com/anitsirk/count-down-to-mahara-1604 (in the
recording it starts at around minute 4) (anitsirk, 08:09:47)
* the release of 16.04 also means that support for 1.10 is dropped. we
will have one more minor point release for that version but not
more. (anitsirk, 08:13:46)
* Next meeting and chair (anitsirk, 08:15:24)
* LINK:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20160526T07
(anitsirk, 08:15:49)
* the 53rd Mahara developer meeting will take place on 26 May 2016 at
8:00 UTC and anitsirk will be chairing the meeting.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20160526T08
(anitsirk, 08:25:09)
* Any other business (anitsirk, 08:25:18)
* alja, a UX designer who works with anzeljg, has come up with some
wireframes and ideas that I'll put together with our current ideas
and upload within the next two weeks. (anitsirk, 08:27:20)
* feedback from the partners in the european portfolio project: The
Mahara 15.10 is very nice designed and userfriendly and they like it
very much (anitsirk, 08:30:37)
* aaronw_ resurrected the script that allows pulling translations from
git into the langpack site so that we now have the up-to-date czech
translation in (anitsirk, 08:32:53)
* ACTION: anitsirk to discuss the german "du" translation with aaronw_
and whether git would be the solution to make the up-to-date
translation available. (anitsirk, 08:35:02)
Meeting ended at 08:35:42 UTC.
Action items, by person
-----------------------
* aaronw_
* aaronw_ to think about how a change to namespaces would affect
3rd-party libraries and whether they'd need to move to namespaces as
well.
* aaronw_ to file a bug around namespaces. but no changes will be made
until we have a solution to avoid breaking 3rd-party libraries as
best as possible
* anitsirk to discuss the german "du" translation with aaronw_ and
whether git would be the solution to make the up-to-date translation
available.
* anitsirk
* anitsirk to discuss the german "du" translation with aaronw_ and
whether git would be the solution to make the up-to-date translation
available.
People present (lines said)
---------------------------
* anitsirk (110)
* aaronw_ (89)
* ghada (46)
* robertl_ (23)
* sl-yair (16)
* Gregor_Pirker (8)
* dobedobedoh (5)
* maharameet-nz (4)
Generated by `MeetBot`_ 0.1.4
\ No newline at end of file
Markdown is supported
0% or
You are about to add 0 people to the discussion. Proceed with caution.
Finish editing this message first!
Please register or to comment