diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2016/mahara-dev.2016-06-29-08.01.html b/public_html/mahara-dev/2016/mahara-dev.2016-06-29-08.01.html new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..0ff0605f538fd3b8ebda5e455fe2722a650d076f --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2016/mahara-dev.2016-06-29-08.01.html @@ -0,0 +1,245 @@ + + + + +#mahara-dev: 54th Mahara Developer Meeting + + + + +

#mahara-dev: 54th Mahara Developer Meeting

+ +Meeting started by anitsirk at 08:01:35 UTC +(full logs). + +

+ + + +

Meeting summary

+
    +
  1. +
      +
    1. anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner from Catalyst in + Wellington (anitsirk, + 08:01:57)
    2. +
    3. I aaronw_ am Aaron Wells of Catalyst IT in + Wellington, New Zealand (aaronw_, + 08:02:00)
    4. +
    5. Gregor Pirker, Danube University Krems, + Austria (Gregor_P, + 08:02:03)
    6. +
    7. robertl_ is Robert Lyon, Catalyst in + Wellington, New Zealand (robertl_, + 08:02:14)
    8. +
    9. ghada is Ghada El-Zoghbi from Catalyst IT in + Sydney, Australia (ghada, + 08:02:15)
    10. +
    +
  2. +
  3. Topics from previous meeting (anitsirk, 08:02:40) +
      +
    1. anitsirk to bring up the composer issue for the + SAML work and see if we want to proceed or make changes. + (anitsirk, + 08:02:46)
    2. +
    3. IDEA: One possibility + could be to create a build branch for those that can't install via + composer. We already need composer for gulp. (anitsirk, + 08:05:57)
    4. +
    5. https://reviews.mahara.org/#/q/status:open+project:mahara+branch:master+topic:SimpleSAML + (anitsirk, + 08:06:51)
    6. +
    7. the new SAML functionality would allow you to + do "make ssphp" and install the SimpleSAMLPHP library via composer + rather than you having to download SimpleSAML and install it + manually. (anitsirk, + 08:09:18)
    8. +
    9. last time we discussed that some people aren't + able to pull additional components from the internet if they don't + come in the git branch. so instead of connecting to the regular core + branch that requires the build process, they would connect to the + branch that includes everything pre-built. (anitsirk, + 08:12:16)
    10. +
    11. and have that branch creation automated + :-) (anitsirk, + 08:13:24)
    12. +
    13. ACTION: aaronw_ and + robertl_ to discuss the details of how to get a build branch for + Mahara releases going to support those who can't use + composer. (anitsirk, + 08:19:06)
    14. +
    +
  4. +
  5. +2 for verification for new features (anitsirk, 08:19:29) +
      +
    1. IDEA: Should we have a + +2 in Gerrit for new features for the verification part so it's more + obvious when something can be merged from the front-end + perspective? (anitsirk, + 08:22:31)
    2. +
    3. IDEA: Instead tag new + features in the topic field with "(feature)" to distinguish them + more easily (anitsirk, + 08:23:48)
    4. +
    5. ACTION: anitsirk to + update the "How to contribute" wiki section that new features should + have the topic set and include "(feature)" (anitsirk, + 08:29:09)
    6. +
    +
  6. +
  7. PHP dev needed at Mahara HQ (anitsirk, 08:31:22) +
      +
    1. We are looking for an experienced PHP dev in + Wellington to work on mahara with us: + https://www.catalyst.net.nz/jobs/php-developer-new-zealand-wellington + (anitsirk, + 08:33:19)
    2. +
    3. Q&A: Can self-registration be turned off: + Yes, for each institution in the institution settings. (anitsirk, + 08:40:26)
    4. +
    5. Q&A: Why is there a "Dwoo" folder in the + maharadata directory? It holds the cached template files. Dwoo + compiles the .tpl files into php files. (anitsirk, + 08:41:22)
    6. +
    7. There will be a new feature in 16.10 that + clears the cache so that old template files don't hang around and + potentially cause trouble when the site loads. (anitsirk, + 08:42:21)
    8. +
    9. the Dwoo directory can also be deleted + manually. Mahara will recreate it automatically. (anitsirk, + 08:44:52)
    10. +
    +
  8. +
  9. Next meeting and chair (anitsirk, 08:45:25) +
      +
    1. The 55th Mahara Developer Meeting will take + place on 3 August 2016 at 8:00 UTC with Aaron Wells as the chair. + http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20160803T08 + (anitsirk, + 08:56:41)
    2. +
    3. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20160727T08 + (anitsirk, + 08:56:43)
    4. +
    +
  10. +
+

+ + + + +Meeting ended at 08:57:16 UTC +(full logs). + +

+ + + +

Action items

+
    +
  1. aaronw_ and robertl_ to discuss the details of how to get a build branch for Mahara releases going to support those who can't use composer.
  2. +
  3. anitsirk to update the "How to contribute" wiki section that new features should have the topic set and include "(feature)"
  4. +
+

+ + + +

Action items, by person

+
    +
  1. aaronw_
      +
    1. aaronw_ and robertl_ to discuss the details of how to get a build branch for Mahara releases going to support those who can't use composer.
    2. +
  2. +
  3. anitsirk
      +
    1. anitsirk to update the "How to contribute" wiki section that new features should have the topic set and include "(feature)"
    2. +
  4. +
  5. robertl_
      +
    1. aaronw_ and robertl_ to discuss the details of how to get a build branch for Mahara releases going to support those who can't use composer.
    2. +
  6. +
+

+ + + +

People present (lines said)

+
    +
  1. anitsirk (94)
  2. +
  3. aaronw_ (34)
  4. +
  5. ghada (28)
  6. +
  7. robertl_ (17)
  8. +
  9. Gregor_P (13)
  10. +
  11. mahara-meetbot (3)
  12. +
+

+ + + +Generated by MeetBot 0.1.4. + diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2016/mahara-dev.2016-06-29-08.01.log.html b/public_html/mahara-dev/2016/mahara-dev.2016-06-29-08.01.log.html new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..e8d01f6dc0cbdd35a6c40ec967e5d04ee204548e --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2016/mahara-dev.2016-06-29-08.01.log.html @@ -0,0 +1,216 @@ + + + + +#mahara-dev log + + + + +
08:01:35 <anitsirk> #startmeeting 54th Mahara Developer Meeting
+08:01:35 <mahara-meetbot> Meeting started Wed Jun 29 08:01:35 2016 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is anitsirk. Information about MeetBot at https://wiki.mahara.org/wiki/Developer_Area/Developer_Meetings/Chair_Duties#Meetbot_commands.
+08:01:35 <mahara-meetbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
+08:01:35 <mahara-meetbot> The meeting name has been set to '54th_mahara_developer_meeting'
+08:01:41 <anitsirk> Hello and welcome to our latest installment of the developer meeting. Please introduce yourself by putting a #info at the start of the line so we have you recorded in the minutes.
+08:01:57 <anitsirk> #info anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner from Catalyst in Wellington
+08:02:00 <aaronw_> #info I aaronw_ am Aaron Wells of Catalyst IT in Wellington, New Zealand
+08:02:03 <Gregor_P> #info Gregor Pirker, Danube University Krems, Austria
+08:02:14 <robertl_> #info robertl_ is Robert Lyon, Catalyst in Wellington, New Zealand
+08:02:15 <ghada> #info ghada is Ghada El-Zoghbi from Catalyst IT in Sydney, Australia
+08:02:40 <anitsirk> #topic Topics from previous meeting
+08:02:46 <anitsirk> #info anitsirk to bring up the composer issue for the SAML work and see if we want to proceed or make changes.
+08:03:09 <anitsirk> We haven't really discussed it in Welington yet as there's been lots of other things to do.
+08:03:26 <anitsirk> robertl_ and aaronw_ have been reviewing piers' patches though quite intensely
+08:04:39 <robertl_> we have mentioned the possible need for a build branch so those that can't install via composer can get the files they need
+08:04:59 <aaronw_> And we meant to do something like that when we added the gulp build step last year
+08:05:11 <aaronw_> so this would just add a bit more to that same idea
+08:05:57 <anitsirk> #idea One possibility could be to create a build branch for those that can't install via composer. We already need composer for gulp.
+08:06:08 <ghada> I'm not on top of this. Is this for the compiled css files?
+08:06:43 <anitsirk> ghada: it's for the SAML stuff that is going to be in core
+08:06:51 <anitsirk> https://reviews.mahara.org/#/q/status:open+project:mahara+branch:master+topic:SimpleSAML
+08:07:22 <aaronw_> So, currently the Mahara SAML auth plugin requires you to download SimpleSAML and install it somewhere on your computer outside of Mahara itself
+08:07:38 <ghada> right.
+08:07:51 <aaronw_> this series of patches changes it so that instead, you can do "make ssphp" and Mahara will download the SimpleSamlPHP library via composer
+08:08:13 <aaronw_> So, this sorta adds a second "build" step to the Mahara codebase, with the first "build" step being the CSS
+08:08:53 <aaronw_> So I was thinking, we should probably start doing something along the lines of a "nightly build" for people who want to experiment with the latest code but can't get gulp and/or composer up and running
+08:09:06 <ghada> ok. so if the idea is to have a branch for the saml install, why not have one as well for the compiled css files?
+08:09:18 <anitsirk> #info the new SAML functionality would allow you to do "make ssphp" and install the SimpleSAMLPHP library via composer rather than you having to download SimpleSAML and install it manually.
+08:09:54 <anitsirk> i would think it would be all in one branch. just a build branch for core mahara.
+08:10:02 <aaronw_> Yep
+08:10:09 <ghada> ok.
+08:10:15 <aaronw_> like "master-build" would be a branch to which we push a copy of the fully "built" source code with all the build steps
+08:10:31 <aaronw_> We use something like that to do deployments in Catalyst NZ
+08:10:53 <ghada> and the users would use this branch - instead of master - to get Mahara + simplesaml
+08:11:04 <ghada> so they won't really need master
+08:11:08 <aaronw_> Yep, if they didn't want to do the build process themselves
+08:11:34 <ghada> so you'll need to create a build branch for each version / release of Mahara
+08:11:45 <aaronw_> Yeah, and a script to update them
+08:12:12 <ghada> i would think this can be automated, right?
+08:12:16 <anitsirk> #info last time we discussed that some people aren't able to pull additional components from the internet if they don't come in the git branch. so instead of connecting to the regular core branch that requires the build process, they would connect to the branch that includes everything pre-built.
+08:12:16 <aaronw_> yep
+08:12:21 <ghada> i.e. the creation of this build branch
+08:12:54 <ghada> that sounds good to me.
+08:13:01 <ghada> were there other ideas thrown around?
+08:13:24 <anitsirk> #info and have that branch creation automated :-)
+08:13:25 <aaronw_> well, I guess another aspect of this, is that it kind of works as a test case for using composer to manage our dependencies
+08:14:15 <robertl_> I belive the zip files on launchpad have the css in-built yes?
+08:14:34 <robertl_> so for ssphp we could do the same
+08:14:46 <anitsirk> robertl_: yes, they do.
+08:15:31 <ghada> i think this is a great idea. it will solve a lot of people's issues that can't use composer
+08:17:49 <anitsirk> aaronw_: shall we discuss the how-to in the office?
+08:18:10 <robertl_> makes deploying to 3rd party machines easier also
+08:18:20 <aaronw_> Sure, we can do that
+08:18:37 <aaronw_> I've got a fairly clear picture of the implementation
+08:19:06 <anitsirk> #action aaronw_ and robertl_ to discuss the details of how to get a build branch for Mahara releases going to support those who can't use composer.
+08:19:12 <anitsirk> that sounds great, aaronw_
+08:19:29 <anitsirk> #topic +2 for verification for new features
+08:19:47 <anitsirk> Code reviews need to be approved by an approved code reviewer. Others can only give +1 but not +2.
+08:19:47 <anitsirk> 
+08:19:48 <anitsirk> While I don't think the same would be necessary for all front-end verifications, it would be good to have the option to give a +2 or something like that when new features are concerned. Right now there is just a +1. When new features are pushed to Gerrit, they should not only be approved by a tester who tests that there aren't any errors, but by someone who also looks at the interface and knows Mahara enough to make a decision whether it can go in l
+08:20:46 <anitsirk> or is it working fine as is?
+08:21:44 <aaronw_> I'm fine either way :)
+08:22:29 <ghada> i hadn't realised there were changes being made until earlier today
+08:22:31 <anitsirk> #idea Should we have a +2 in Gerrit for new features for the verification part so it's more obvious when something can be merged from the front-end perspective?
+08:22:52 <anitsirk> ghada: we haven't made any changes to Gerrit
+08:22:53 <robertl_> it might be worth just tagging it with (feature) in the topic field so we know to treat it differently
+08:23:26 <anitsirk> robertl_ that's an idea and easier because I wouldn't think that we could have +2 for some but not all patches.
+08:23:48 <anitsirk> #idea Instead tag new features in the topic field with "(feature)" to distinguish them more easily
+08:24:49 <anitsirk> It hasn't been a problem yet. there were just some things that should have probably been done differently that we had to change then later on.
+08:25:22 <anitsirk> and i don't want to make it a big deal or add huge processes as it's mainly a small group of people who do the majority of the reviews.
+08:25:39 <anitsirk> would tagging be a good idea for you?
+08:25:54 <ghada> i'm of the opinion to keep it simple
+08:26:28 <ghada> i think that's a good idea and the people who review will know - as long as everyone is told in the future as well.
+08:26:45 <anitsirk> We can put it in the guidelines on the wiki.
+08:26:57 <anitsirk> and the topic can always be changed once the first person reviews it
+08:27:12 <anitsirk> so it's not like it has to be done right from the start.
+08:27:55 <robertl_> I wish gerrit could handle multiple topics for a patch
+08:28:16 <anitsirk> :-)
+08:28:32 <robertl_> but we will just have to go with 'My new thing (feature)'
+08:29:09 <anitsirk> #action anitsirk to update the "How to contribute" wiki section that new features should have the topic set and include "(feature)"
+08:29:28 <anitsirk> robertl_: It could even just be "master (feature)" if it's one patch.
+08:29:50 <robertl_> yep
+08:29:57 <anitsirk> i like how you work with the topics in gerrit. it makes it so much easier to see which ones belong to the connection manager and which ones to samlphp at the moment
+08:30:40 <anitsirk> i think that was it for this topic.
+08:31:01 <anitsirk> Here's a topic that is not on the list.
+08:31:22 <anitsirk> #topic PHP dev needed at Mahara HQ
+08:32:03 <anitsirk> We are looking for an experienced PHP dev in Welington to work on mahara with us: https://www.catalyst-au.net/jobs/php-developer-new-zealand-wellington
+08:32:12 <anitsirk> If you know of anyone, please let us know.
+08:32:24 <anitsirk> oops. i still had the AU site cashed. doesn't matter. it's the same page. :-0
+08:32:26 <anitsirk> :-)
+08:32:38 <anitsirk> they don't have to have done PHP before
+08:33:19 <anitsirk> #info We are looking for an experienced PHP dev in Wellington to work on mahara with us: https://www.catalyst.net.nz/jobs/php-developer-new-zealand-wellington
+08:33:26 <anitsirk> that was it for that at this moment.
+08:33:45 <anitsirk> Do you have any other topics / business before we get to our favorite one?
+08:34:16 <ghada> none from me.
+08:34:30 <aaronw_> none here
+08:34:35 <robertl_> none from me either
+08:34:43 <anitsirk> Gregor_P?
+08:34:57 <Gregor_P> i have a wish for Mahara 16.10. please can you make a button to deactivate the registration?
+08:35:09 <anitsirk> Gregor_P: what do you mean?
+08:35:16 <anitsirk> does the "Cancel" link not work for you?
+08:35:27 <anitsirk> when you hit that you shouldn't be asked anymore
+08:35:40 <anitsirk> though if you just navigate away from the page, you will (I think) ;-)
+08:35:42 <robertl_> the cancel link should set a flag to not ask you on future upgrades
+08:36:30 <Gregor_P> no no sometimes we don ´t need for some projekt the open registration
+08:36:46 <anitsirk> Gregor_P: which registration are you talking about?
+08:37:01 <anitsirk> robertl_ and I were talking about the registration with the mahara project.
+08:37:05 <anitsirk> do you mean the self-registration?
+08:37:12 <Gregor_P> yes
+08:37:25 <anitsirk> you can deactivate that in the institution settings easily
+08:38:02 <anitsirk> See  item 3 in the screenshot at http://manual.mahara.org/en/16.04/administration/institutions.html#add-an-institution
+08:38:20 <Gregor_P> okay sry must be blind last week
+08:38:28 <anitsirk> no problem. :-)
+08:38:39 <anitsirk> anything else that you'd like to talk about?
+08:39:19 <Gregor_P> yes i have a last question what is the Folder Dwoo?
+08:39:38 <robertl_> in dataroot?
+08:39:39 <aaronw_> You mean the one under the dataroot?
+08:39:46 <Gregor_P> in maharadata
+08:39:54 <robertl_> it holds the cached template files
+08:39:58 <aaronw_> yep that
+08:40:09 <aaronw_> The "Dwoo" templating engine compiles .tpl files into .php files
+08:40:12 <robertl_> it changes the .tpl files into php files
+08:40:26 <anitsirk> #info Q&A: Can self-registration be turned off: Yes, for each institution in the institution settings.
+08:40:26 <ghada> there's an echo in here
+08:40:42 <aaronw_> :)
+08:40:56 <Gregor_P> ohh i understand
+08:41:22 <anitsirk> #info Q&A: Why is there a "Dwoo" folder in the maharadata directory? It holds the cached template files. Dwoo compiles the .tpl files into php files.
+08:41:23 <ghada> Gregor_P: there's a new feature that was added to clear the cache ...
+08:41:26 <Gregor_P> have this folder a connection to the mahara cronjob
+08:42:10 <aaronw_> Hm, I don't think it would, unless there's a cronjob that needs to use .tpl templates
+08:42:21 <anitsirk> #info There will be a new feature in 16.10 that clears the cache so that old template files don't hang around and potentially cause trouble when the site loads.
+08:43:15 <aaronw_> Are you having a problem where files under the dwoo directory don't have the right permissions for the web server to access them?
+08:43:23 <Gregor_P> can i clear the cache manuel?
+08:43:43 <Gregor_P> :-) okay
+08:43:44 <ghada> yes you can. just delete the cache directory
+08:43:57 <aaronw_> that's actually what the "clear cache" thing in 16.10 does
+08:44:02 <aaronw_> just deletes the directory
+08:44:04 <ghada> under the Dwoo directory
+08:44:12 <aaronw_> Mahara will automatically recreate it as needed
+08:44:52 <anitsirk> #info the Dwoo directory can also be deleted manually. Mahara will recreate it automatically.
+08:44:57 <Gregor_P> ah thanks :-)
+08:45:17 <anitsirk> Ok. And now to the last topic.
+08:45:25 <anitsirk> #topic Next meeting and chair
+08:45:41 <anitsirk> I propose Wednesday 27 July at 8 UTC http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20160727T08
+08:46:12 <robertl_> I shall be away that week
+08:46:26 <anitsirk> and that is correct. sorry, i forgot, robertl_
+08:46:35 <robertl_> so the following week would be better for me
+08:47:22 <ghada> that works for me
+08:47:58 <anitsirk> I cannot attend any meetings in august at the 8 UTC time. if we switched it around and said 8:00 a.m. NZ, but that would be way too early for Ghada
+08:48:14 <anitsirk> but you can also meet without me
+08:48:19 <anitsirk> just have to find a meeting chair ;-)
+08:48:24 <ghada> how about the 22nd?
+08:48:38 <anitsirk> I don't think we'll have too much to discuss then.
+08:48:47 <anitsirk> our last two meetings were pretty light.
+08:49:04 <robertl_> ok lets go with 27th and I'll try to make it
+08:49:17 <anitsirk> robertl_. no. enjoy your vacation.
+08:49:27 <anitsirk> 3rd of august is fine. you don't need me.
+08:49:36 <ghada> you don't need me.
+08:49:39 <ghada> you can do it early
+08:49:41 <anitsirk> i just don't think i'll be able to make a 4 a.m. meeting. ;-)
+08:49:53 <ghada> no 4am....
+08:49:57 <ghada> but 8am nz
+08:50:20 <anitsirk> well, Gregor_P would 10 pm work for you or be too late?
+08:50:29 <anitsirk> 10 pm austrian time that is
+08:50:49 <Gregor_P> 10 pm is okay :-)
+08:51:24 <anitsirk> aaronw_ 8 am? or rather meeting with me?
+08:51:31 <anitsirk> but with ghada instead :-)
+08:51:41 <ghada> what a choice!
+08:51:50 <anitsirk> yeah. i like the second option :-)
+08:52:36 <aaronw_> 8am NZ time, and what's the other option?
+08:52:54 <anitsirk> have ghada in the meeting
+08:53:07 <aaronw_> oh, but no specific time
+08:53:11 <anitsirk> 6 am sydney is too early
+08:53:16 <anitsirk> well, the typical 8 pm
+08:53:19 <aaronw_> oh
+08:53:31 <aaronw_> I guess 8pm is easier for me
+08:53:53 <anitsirk> so: 8 am and kristina is chair (unless i have to be on a panel or give a presentation) or 8 pm and ghada can attend (but doesn't have to be chair ;-) )
+08:54:14 <anitsirk> sold. 8 pm nz it is on 3 august 2016
+08:54:22 <anitsirk> now. who wants to chair? :-d
+08:55:32 <anitsirk> we could even do it this way to make it easier: Just meet and I'll put the commands in afterwards and aaronw_ can generate the log after the fact. that way you don't have to worry much about the meetbot commands
+08:55:49 <aaronw_> I suppose I can chair
+08:55:56 <aaronw_> I haven't done it in a while
+08:55:58 <anitsirk> someone would only have to send me the log
+08:56:03 <anitsirk> thanks aaronw_
+08:56:41 <anitsirk> #info The 55th Mahara Developer Meeting will take place on 3 August 2016 at 8:00 UTC with Aaron Wells as the chair. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20160803T08
+08:56:43 <anitsirk> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20160727T08
+08:56:54 <aaronw_> sounds like a plan!
+08:57:04 <anitsirk> thank you very much everyone for attending and have a nice evening and day.
+08:57:16 <anitsirk> #endmeeting
+ diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2016/mahara-dev.2016-06-29-08.01.log.txt b/public_html/mahara-dev/2016/mahara-dev.2016-06-29-08.01.log.txt new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..54d744a4f90f4a5306fb1dc440484d7c889b2b40 --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2016/mahara-dev.2016-06-29-08.01.log.txt @@ -0,0 +1,189 @@ +08:01:35 #startmeeting 54th Mahara Developer Meeting +08:01:35 Meeting started Wed Jun 29 08:01:35 2016 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes. The chair is anitsirk. Information about MeetBot at https://wiki.mahara.org/wiki/Developer_Area/Developer_Meetings/Chair_Duties#Meetbot_commands. +08:01:35 Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote. +08:01:35 The meeting name has been set to '54th_mahara_developer_meeting' +08:01:41 Hello and welcome to our latest installment of the developer meeting. Please introduce yourself by putting a #info at the start of the line so we have you recorded in the minutes. +08:01:57 #info anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner from Catalyst in Wellington +08:02:00 #info I aaronw_ am Aaron Wells of Catalyst IT in Wellington, New Zealand +08:02:03 #info Gregor Pirker, Danube University Krems, Austria +08:02:14 #info robertl_ is Robert Lyon, Catalyst in Wellington, New Zealand +08:02:15 #info ghada is Ghada El-Zoghbi from Catalyst IT in Sydney, Australia +08:02:40 #topic Topics from previous meeting +08:02:46 #info anitsirk to bring up the composer issue for the SAML work and see if we want to proceed or make changes. +08:03:09 We haven't really discussed it in Welington yet as there's been lots of other things to do. +08:03:26 robertl_ and aaronw_ have been reviewing piers' patches though quite intensely +08:04:39 we have mentioned the possible need for a build branch so those that can't install via composer can get the files they need +08:04:59 And we meant to do something like that when we added the gulp build step last year +08:05:11 so this would just add a bit more to that same idea +08:05:57 #idea One possibility could be to create a build branch for those that can't install via composer. We already need composer for gulp. +08:06:08 I'm not on top of this. Is this for the compiled css files? +08:06:43 ghada: it's for the SAML stuff that is going to be in core +08:06:51 https://reviews.mahara.org/#/q/status:open+project:mahara+branch:master+topic:SimpleSAML +08:07:22 So, currently the Mahara SAML auth plugin requires you to download SimpleSAML and install it somewhere on your computer outside of Mahara itself +08:07:38 right. +08:07:51 this series of patches changes it so that instead, you can do "make ssphp" and Mahara will download the SimpleSamlPHP library via composer +08:08:13 So, this sorta adds a second "build" step to the Mahara codebase, with the first "build" step being the CSS +08:08:53 So I was thinking, we should probably start doing something along the lines of a "nightly build" for people who want to experiment with the latest code but can't get gulp and/or composer up and running +08:09:06 ok. so if the idea is to have a branch for the saml install, why not have one as well for the compiled css files? +08:09:18 #info the new SAML functionality would allow you to do "make ssphp" and install the SimpleSAMLPHP library via composer rather than you having to download SimpleSAML and install it manually. +08:09:54 i would think it would be all in one branch. just a build branch for core mahara. +08:10:02 Yep +08:10:09 ok. +08:10:15 like "master-build" would be a branch to which we push a copy of the fully "built" source code with all the build steps +08:10:31 We use something like that to do deployments in Catalyst NZ +08:10:53 and the users would use this branch - instead of master - to get Mahara + simplesaml +08:11:04 so they won't really need master +08:11:08 Yep, if they didn't want to do the build process themselves +08:11:34 so you'll need to create a build branch for each version / release of Mahara +08:11:45 Yeah, and a script to update them +08:12:12 i would think this can be automated, right? +08:12:16 #info last time we discussed that some people aren't able to pull additional components from the internet if they don't come in the git branch. so instead of connecting to the regular core branch that requires the build process, they would connect to the branch that includes everything pre-built. +08:12:16 yep +08:12:21 i.e. the creation of this build branch +08:12:54 that sounds good to me. +08:13:01 were there other ideas thrown around? +08:13:24 #info and have that branch creation automated :-) +08:13:25 well, I guess another aspect of this, is that it kind of works as a test case for using composer to manage our dependencies +08:14:15 I belive the zip files on launchpad have the css in-built yes? +08:14:34 so for ssphp we could do the same +08:14:46 robertl_: yes, they do. +08:15:31 i think this is a great idea. it will solve a lot of people's issues that can't use composer +08:17:49 aaronw_: shall we discuss the how-to in the office? +08:18:10 makes deploying to 3rd party machines easier also +08:18:20 Sure, we can do that +08:18:37 I've got a fairly clear picture of the implementation +08:19:06 #action aaronw_ and robertl_ to discuss the details of how to get a build branch for Mahara releases going to support those who can't use composer. +08:19:12 that sounds great, aaronw_ +08:19:29 #topic +2 for verification for new features +08:19:47 Code reviews need to be approved by an approved code reviewer. Others can only give +1 but not +2. +08:19:47 +08:19:48 While I don't think the same would be necessary for all front-end verifications, it would be good to have the option to give a +2 or something like that when new features are concerned. Right now there is just a +1. When new features are pushed to Gerrit, they should not only be approved by a tester who tests that there aren't any errors, but by someone who also looks at the interface and knows Mahara enough to make a decision whether it can go in l +08:20:46 or is it working fine as is? +08:21:44 I'm fine either way :) +08:22:29 i hadn't realised there were changes being made until earlier today +08:22:31 #idea Should we have a +2 in Gerrit for new features for the verification part so it's more obvious when something can be merged from the front-end perspective? +08:22:52 ghada: we haven't made any changes to Gerrit +08:22:53 it might be worth just tagging it with (feature) in the topic field so we know to treat it differently +08:23:26 robertl_ that's an idea and easier because I wouldn't think that we could have +2 for some but not all patches. +08:23:48 #idea Instead tag new features in the topic field with "(feature)" to distinguish them more easily +08:24:49 It hasn't been a problem yet. there were just some things that should have probably been done differently that we had to change then later on. +08:25:22 and i don't want to make it a big deal or add huge processes as it's mainly a small group of people who do the majority of the reviews. +08:25:39 would tagging be a good idea for you? +08:25:54 i'm of the opinion to keep it simple +08:26:28 i think that's a good idea and the people who review will know - as long as everyone is told in the future as well. +08:26:45 We can put it in the guidelines on the wiki. +08:26:57 and the topic can always be changed once the first person reviews it +08:27:12 so it's not like it has to be done right from the start. +08:27:55 I wish gerrit could handle multiple topics for a patch +08:28:16 :-) +08:28:32 but we will just have to go with 'My new thing (feature)' +08:29:09 #action anitsirk to update the "How to contribute" wiki section that new features should have the topic set and include "(feature)" +08:29:28 robertl_: It could even just be "master (feature)" if it's one patch. +08:29:50 yep +08:29:57 i like how you work with the topics in gerrit. it makes it so much easier to see which ones belong to the connection manager and which ones to samlphp at the moment +08:30:40 i think that was it for this topic. +08:31:01 Here's a topic that is not on the list. +08:31:22 #topic PHP dev needed at Mahara HQ +08:32:03 We are looking for an experienced PHP dev in Welington to work on mahara with us: https://www.catalyst-au.net/jobs/php-developer-new-zealand-wellington +08:32:12 If you know of anyone, please let us know. +08:32:24 oops. i still had the AU site cashed. doesn't matter. it's the same page. :-0 +08:32:26 :-) +08:32:38 they don't have to have done PHP before +08:33:19 #info We are looking for an experienced PHP dev in Wellington to work on mahara with us: https://www.catalyst.net.nz/jobs/php-developer-new-zealand-wellington +08:33:26 that was it for that at this moment. +08:33:45 Do you have any other topics / business before we get to our favorite one? +08:34:16 none from me. +08:34:30 none here +08:34:35 none from me either +08:34:43 Gregor_P? +08:34:57 i have a wish for Mahara 16.10. please can you make a button to deactivate the registration? +08:35:09 Gregor_P: what do you mean? +08:35:16 does the "Cancel" link not work for you? +08:35:27 when you hit that you shouldn't be asked anymore +08:35:40 though if you just navigate away from the page, you will (I think) ;-) +08:35:42 the cancel link should set a flag to not ask you on future upgrades +08:36:30 no no sometimes we don ´t need for some projekt the open registration +08:36:46 Gregor_P: which registration are you talking about? +08:37:01 robertl_ and I were talking about the registration with the mahara project. +08:37:05 do you mean the self-registration? +08:37:12 yes +08:37:25 you can deactivate that in the institution settings easily +08:38:02 See item 3 in the screenshot at http://manual.mahara.org/en/16.04/administration/institutions.html#add-an-institution +08:38:20 okay sry must be blind last week +08:38:28 no problem. :-) +08:38:39 anything else that you'd like to talk about? +08:39:19 yes i have a last question what is the Folder Dwoo? +08:39:38 in dataroot? +08:39:39 You mean the one under the dataroot? +08:39:46 in maharadata +08:39:54 it holds the cached template files +08:39:58 yep that +08:40:09 The "Dwoo" templating engine compiles .tpl files into .php files +08:40:12 it changes the .tpl files into php files +08:40:26 #info Q&A: Can self-registration be turned off: Yes, for each institution in the institution settings. +08:40:26 there's an echo in here +08:40:42 :) +08:40:56 ohh i understand +08:41:22 #info Q&A: Why is there a "Dwoo" folder in the maharadata directory? It holds the cached template files. Dwoo compiles the .tpl files into php files. +08:41:23 Gregor_P: there's a new feature that was added to clear the cache ... +08:41:26 have this folder a connection to the mahara cronjob +08:42:10 Hm, I don't think it would, unless there's a cronjob that needs to use .tpl templates +08:42:21 #info There will be a new feature in 16.10 that clears the cache so that old template files don't hang around and potentially cause trouble when the site loads. +08:43:15 Are you having a problem where files under the dwoo directory don't have the right permissions for the web server to access them? +08:43:23 can i clear the cache manuel? +08:43:43 :-) okay +08:43:44 yes you can. just delete the cache directory +08:43:57 that's actually what the "clear cache" thing in 16.10 does +08:44:02 just deletes the directory +08:44:04 under the Dwoo directory +08:44:12 Mahara will automatically recreate it as needed +08:44:52 #info the Dwoo directory can also be deleted manually. Mahara will recreate it automatically. +08:44:57 ah thanks :-) +08:45:17 Ok. And now to the last topic. +08:45:25 #topic Next meeting and chair +08:45:41 I propose Wednesday 27 July at 8 UTC http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20160727T08 +08:46:12 I shall be away that week +08:46:26 and that is correct. sorry, i forgot, robertl_ +08:46:35 so the following week would be better for me +08:47:22 that works for me +08:47:58 I cannot attend any meetings in august at the 8 UTC time. if we switched it around and said 8:00 a.m. NZ, but that would be way too early for Ghada +08:48:14 but you can also meet without me +08:48:19 just have to find a meeting chair ;-) +08:48:24 how about the 22nd? +08:48:38 I don't think we'll have too much to discuss then. +08:48:47 our last two meetings were pretty light. +08:49:04 ok lets go with 27th and I'll try to make it +08:49:17 robertl_. no. enjoy your vacation. +08:49:27 3rd of august is fine. you don't need me. +08:49:36 you don't need me. +08:49:39 you can do it early +08:49:41 i just don't think i'll be able to make a 4 a.m. meeting. ;-) +08:49:53 no 4am.... +08:49:57 but 8am nz +08:50:20 well, Gregor_P would 10 pm work for you or be too late? +08:50:29 10 pm austrian time that is +08:50:49 10 pm is okay :-) +08:51:24 aaronw_ 8 am? or rather meeting with me? +08:51:31 but with ghada instead :-) +08:51:41 what a choice! +08:51:50 yeah. i like the second option :-) +08:52:36 8am NZ time, and what's the other option? +08:52:54 have ghada in the meeting +08:53:07 oh, but no specific time +08:53:11 6 am sydney is too early +08:53:16 well, the typical 8 pm +08:53:19 oh +08:53:31 I guess 8pm is easier for me +08:53:53 so: 8 am and kristina is chair (unless i have to be on a panel or give a presentation) or 8 pm and ghada can attend (but doesn't have to be chair ;-) ) +08:54:14 sold. 8 pm nz it is on 3 august 2016 +08:54:22 now. who wants to chair? :-d +08:55:32 we could even do it this way to make it easier: Just meet and I'll put the commands in afterwards and aaronw_ can generate the log after the fact. that way you don't have to worry much about the meetbot commands +08:55:49 I suppose I can chair +08:55:56 I haven't done it in a while +08:55:58 someone would only have to send me the log +08:56:03 thanks aaronw_ +08:56:41 #info The 55th Mahara Developer Meeting will take place on 3 August 2016 at 8:00 UTC with Aaron Wells as the chair. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20160803T08 +08:56:43 http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20160727T08 +08:56:54 sounds like a plan! +08:57:04 thank you very much everyone for attending and have a nice evening and day. +08:57:16 #endmeeting \ No newline at end of file diff --git a/public_html/mahara-dev/2016/mahara-dev.2016-06-29-08.01.txt b/public_html/mahara-dev/2016/mahara-dev.2016-06-29-08.01.txt new file mode 100644 index 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000..a7a0b6be32d7f142e3fc949f16ca78a4b30cea69 --- /dev/null +++ b/public_html/mahara-dev/2016/mahara-dev.2016-06-29-08.01.txt @@ -0,0 +1,116 @@ +========================================== +#mahara-dev: 54th Mahara Developer Meeting +========================================== + + +Meeting started by anitsirk at 08:01:35 UTC. The full logs are +available at mahara-dev/2016/mahara-dev.2016-06-29-08.01.log.html . + + + +Meeting summary +--------------- + +* anitsirk is Kristina Hoeppner from Catalyst in Wellington (anitsirk, + 08:01:57) +* I aaronw_ am Aaron Wells of Catalyst IT in Wellington, New Zealand + (aaronw_, 08:02:00) +* Gregor Pirker, Danube University Krems, Austria (Gregor_P, 08:02:03) +* robertl_ is Robert Lyon, Catalyst in Wellington, New Zealand + (robertl_, 08:02:14) +* ghada is Ghada El-Zoghbi from Catalyst IT in Sydney, Australia + (ghada, 08:02:15) +* Topics from previous meeting (anitsirk, 08:02:40) + * anitsirk to bring up the composer issue for the SAML work and see if + we want to proceed or make changes. (anitsirk, 08:02:46) + * IDEA: One possibility could be to create a build branch for those + that can't install via composer. We already need composer for gulp. + (anitsirk, 08:05:57) + * LINK: + https://reviews.mahara.org/#/q/status:open+project:mahara+branch:master+topic:SimpleSAML + (anitsirk, 08:06:51) + * the new SAML functionality would allow you to do "make ssphp" and + install the SimpleSAMLPHP library via composer rather than you + having to download SimpleSAML and install it manually. (anitsirk, + 08:09:18) + * last time we discussed that some people aren't able to pull + additional components from the internet if they don't come in the + git branch. so instead of connecting to the regular core branch that + requires the build process, they would connect to the branch that + includes everything pre-built. (anitsirk, 08:12:16) + * and have that branch creation automated :-) (anitsirk, 08:13:24) + * ACTION: aaronw_ and robertl_ to discuss the details of how to get a + build branch for Mahara releases going to support those who can't + use composer. (anitsirk, 08:19:06) + +* +2 for verification for new features (anitsirk, 08:19:29) + * IDEA: Should we have a +2 in Gerrit for new features for the + verification part so it's more obvious when something can be merged + from the front-end perspective? (anitsirk, 08:22:31) + * IDEA: Instead tag new features in the topic field with "(feature)" + to distinguish them more easily (anitsirk, 08:23:48) + * ACTION: anitsirk to update the "How to contribute" wiki section that + new features should have the topic set and include "(feature)" + (anitsirk, 08:29:09) + +* PHP dev needed at Mahara HQ (anitsirk, 08:31:22) + * We are looking for an experienced PHP dev in Wellington to work on + mahara with us: + https://www.catalyst.net.nz/jobs/php-developer-new-zealand-wellington + (anitsirk, 08:33:19) + * Q&A: Can self-registration be turned off: Yes, for each institution + in the institution settings. (anitsirk, 08:40:26) + * Q&A: Why is there a "Dwoo" folder in the maharadata directory? It + holds the cached template files. Dwoo compiles the .tpl files into + php files. (anitsirk, 08:41:22) + * There will be a new feature in 16.10 that clears the cache so that + old template files don't hang around and potentially cause trouble + when the site loads. (anitsirk, 08:42:21) + * the Dwoo directory can also be deleted manually. Mahara will + recreate it automatically. (anitsirk, 08:44:52) + +* Next meeting and chair (anitsirk, 08:45:25) + * The 55th Mahara Developer Meeting will take place on 3 August 2016 + at 8:00 UTC with Aaron Wells as the chair. + http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20160803T08 + (anitsirk, 08:56:41) + * LINK: + http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20160727T08 + (anitsirk, 08:56:43) + + + +Meeting ended at 08:57:16 UTC. + + + +Action items, by person +----------------------- + +* aaronw_ + * aaronw_ and robertl_ to discuss the details of how to get a build + branch for Mahara releases going to support those who can't use + composer. +* anitsirk + * anitsirk to update the "How to contribute" wiki section that new + features should have the topic set and include "(feature)" +* robertl_ + * aaronw_ and robertl_ to discuss the details of how to get a build + branch for Mahara releases going to support those who can't use + composer. + + + +People present (lines said) +--------------------------- + +* anitsirk (94) +* aaronw_ (34) +* ghada (28) +* robertl_ (17) +* Gregor_P (13) +* mahara-meetbot (3) + + + +Generated by `MeetBot`_ 0.1.4 \ No newline at end of file